Light-O-Rama Forums

Is a LOR type display worth it?

Guest guest

In December 2005 I saw a video on TV of one of these displays. Since then I have spent large amounts of money on LOR hardware, lights, wire, solder, a welder, steel, a new electrical service, 2 miniPLUS events at my house, online orders to 3 electronic parts companies, tomato cages, blowmolds, garland, wireframes, wreaths, tape, staples, a new laptop powerful enough to sequence on and a big inflatable PlanetChristmas logo Santa that is just the coolest.

I have met a whole bunch of really wonderful people and made new friendships with people from all around the world that will last a lifetime. I've had the owner of Light-O-Rama and his family along with 30 or so PC members visit my home 2 times, and I wish they all lived here! They are all, with out any doubt, the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I love them all as family!

This journey was worth evey single cent! The moment my display lit off last year was one of the most proudest moments of my life. (I don't have children, so this is my baby) Now, each and every day , I do something related to the preparation of my next display. I have never been happier, or more proud of my annual celebration of Christ!

Yes, yes, yes it was worth it!

God Bless!

jeff

I think that others have pretty much summed things up pretty well!

The main thing is from looking at some of your previous posts it looks like you have been doing a pretty nice static display in the past so I would guess that you do have the passion for it! :)

My very first year I wanted to do a syncronized display I really did not have much money to put into it, however by cutting corners and starting small (and late in the season too) as well as DIYing enclosures and sign and such, I was able to turn my dream into a reality.

There are a number of rewards in this "hobby", many of which have already been mentioned. The ones that make it "worth it" for each of us may vary but almost everyone who has done it (synconized display) that I have talked with feels that the benefits FAR outweigh the costs!

One benefit that I don't believe has been mentioned (edit: jeffmill posted just before I did!) is the fact that by the time you are done you will have made several new friends, both in person because of your display, and also fellow Christmas Light Fanatics (A pretty great group of people by the way!) :cool:

So...if you WANT to do it...
Start off small to keep costs and complexity down ~OR~ start off big and challenge yourself...
Either way, I think that if you do, by this time next year you will be able to answer your own question better than any of us can! :)

Okay, this might be a really long reply but there have been a lot of replies to my first post, so here it goes….

Santas Helper wrote:

Well at least the heading to the topic got changed (thank you).

But I still feel pegging LOR on the new topic is wrong.

The topic should have been labeled, "Is putting together an animated light show worth it?" This way no brand is labeled for doubt based on a person's belief of spending money (and the love for sharing Christmas) on an animated light show versus the budget they may (or may not) have in front of them.

Also using the "LOR vendor" forum to do so... when Synchronizing Light Shows would have been a neutral zone.

I'm sorry but I just had to get it off my chest. LOR is in the middle of their sale and I couldn't resist.

Why? because I'm very proud of the LOR company, their products and most importantly their service.

I can understand if you're leaning towards a product like LOR and not sure if your budget can handle such a huge (beginner) demand. But if you won't read topics from these forums of other peoples experience first, you'll get into something you might wish you didn't.

Baby steps. We all start with baby steps before we can run.

I hope you take the time to read past posts about any item you're interested in (if you haven't by now) and REALLY read what folks say about their experience. We're all here to help each other. But YOU are the one that will have to make the choice.

Best of luck,

and just my thoughts,

P.S. Oh, and to answer your question. "Is a LOR type display is worth it?"
You betcha!!!

First off I in no way was trying to “bash” LOR with my title. I decided a LONG time ago that if I was going to do this whole display that I would go with LOR. And that is why I posted this in the LOR forum and not the more generalized lighting forum. I didn’t want to start a brand war.

Next: A little background info on me and my display…

I am already the unofficial Clark Griswald of the neighborhood and have the biggest and best static display…..It really isn’t that big compared to some of the displays on here. Get comments on it all the time though. My display currently includes lights around 10 windows on a two story house, one front door, and garage door, a string along the gutter-line, two fairly big trees and bunch of bushes at the base of the house. Oh and 6 candy canes to line the walkway.

My LOR plan would include 10 windows, 2 doors, gutter-line and two trees totaling 15 channels. BUT I want to have a total of 5 different colors on different channels for each area. That would be a total of 75 channels. BUT don’t forget about the bushes and candy canes….I need at least 6 controllers totaling 90 CHs. I may have a couple left over that I can play withJ.

I was thinking that 90 is a lot of channels to start with but I’d rather have too many than too little. I also figured that I would do a simply sequence my first time, nothing too fancy.

I love everything about this whole process except for one thing, sequencing. I love planning, putting the lights up, lighting and maintaining the display. I am just not looking forward to the whole sequencing part. I keep reading that it takes a long time just to get even a minute done. Maybe I’m just afraid to get started. I do believe that if I do decide to do an animated display that once the season gets closer I will begin to enjoy the WHOLE process. I just need to make this decision before the 25th of June or it’s a static display for another year.

As for weather or not I can afford LOR.

I’m only 21 and am decorating my parents house, not my own. My parents don’t mind the flashy display, but they will not pay a cent for LOR. Maybe a couple boxes of lights that was on sale at the grocery store while getting dinner. The LOR controllers, extension cords and FM transmitter costs would eat up a little less than three paychecks, which is a month and a half of money, although I do have plenty saved up. It is the fact the spending that much money on just a Christmas display. THAT is what I was trying to justify.

All that being said, any feedback on my planned display, pos/neg?

Sorry for such a long post but I needed to get this information out there for anyone who cared. And THANK YOU so much to everyone who responded. I really do believe most everyone does care and wants to help. I didn’t expect this much feedback.

You know you can download the LOR sequencing software for FREE and try your hand at sequencing a song or two to see if it's as much work as you're afraid it is.

If you decide it's too much work then you haven't spent anything other than some of your spare time.

If you decide that you can handle it, then you can use those sequences to control your lights once you get the "official" software and you won't have to re-do any of your work.

Thanks for the reply Chuck and I have done just that. I haven't done a whole song though maybe about 30 seconds for 40 channels. I honestly don't find it that difficult but I think I'm just afraid to get all 90 channels sequenced to 4 minutes plus of music.

Thanks again

Hello DSTack,

I fully understand and hope my venting didn't seem too harsh. I'm very protective of my friends.

Yes, it does sound like you have a large quota to fill. But it takes time. Sounds like to me, it's also the challenge and time of building sequences and not just the money factor.

It's still June. Buy the controllers now and start on a sequence this weekend. It may sound like an ever ending task (and sometimes it really seems that way). BUT, you have "5" months to create a couple sequences. That's all you really need to start of with.

As for colors, why not slim down to 4 colors for the house windows and doors (that's a saving of 12 channels already). One certain color for each tree and each bush. I bet that saves a whole controller of channels right there. AND, I bet it would still rock.

Now if you decide to go full blown and with 6 controllers, AND you don't feel it was worth it? Let me know. I'll buy the controllers from you (in working condition and at the sale price you paid for them :]). But I bet once this season is over, you won't get rid of them. Trust me.

Also, there are already built sequences you can purchase and save a BUNCH of time. You'll just have to add a few channels and do some tweaking.

Now go buy them controllers on sale so I can buy them off of you in January :].

Tom

Hello stack, there have been a lot of great replys here. As for me I too have putup aproxx 50,000 lights static display , get lots of complements, And I like blearning do it cause I want to, I have eight grand children and when I am gone I want my grandkids to remember all the fun they had running through grndpas lightrs at christmas. selfish , you bet, they wont remember the xbox or nentendo or other toys we bought but the memories of christmas at grandpas will last forever.

This will be my first attempt at animating and sequencing, spent about $500 so far and another $1000 to go to plus 2007 to get the best help I can find. Start slow As I am 90 channels first time out the gate, whoa would overwelm me.

Good luck and again for me to build a life time memory , its worth every penny to me

Larrytcupp:happytree:

Austell ga

DStack701 wrote:

Okay, this might be a really long reply but there have been a lot of replies to my first post, so here it goes….

First off I in no way was trying to “bash” LOR with my title. I decided a LONG time ago that if I was going to do this whole display that I would go with LOR. And that is why I posted this in the LOR forum and not the more generalized lighting forum. I didn’t want to start a brand war.

Next: A little background info on me and my display…

I am already the unofficial Clark Griswald of the neighborhood and have the biggest and best static display…..It really isn’t that big compared to some of the displays on here. Get comments on it all the time though. My display currently includes lights around 10 windows on a two story house, one front door, and garage door, a string along the gutter-line, two fairly big trees and bunch of bushes at the base of the house. Oh and 6 candy canes to line the walkway.

My LOR plan would include 10 windows, 2 doors, gutter-line and two trees totaling 15 channels. BUT I want to have a total of 5 different colors on different channels for each area. That would be a total of 75 channels. BUT don’t forget about the bushes and candy canes….I need at least 6 controllers totaling 90 CHs. I may have a couple left over that I can play withJ.

I was thinking that 90 is a lot of channels to start with but I’d rather have too many than too little. I also figured that I would do a simply sequence my first time, nothing too fancy.

I love everything about this whole process except for one thing, sequencing. I love planning, putting the lights up, lighting and maintaining the display. I am just not looking forward to the whole sequencing part. I keep reading that it takes a long time just to get even a minute done. Maybe I’m just afraid to get started. I do believe that if I do decide to do an animated display that once the season gets closer I will begin to enjoy the WHOLE process. I just need to make this decision before the 25th of June or it’s a static display for another year.

I’m only 21 and am decorating my parents house, not my own. My parents don’t mind the flashy display, but they will not pay a cent for LOR. Maybe a couple boxes of lights that was on sale at the grocery store while getting dinner. The LOR controllers, extension cords and FM transmitter costs would eat up a little less than three paychecks, which is a month and a half of money, although I do have plenty saved up. It is the fact the spending that much money on just a Christmas display. THAT is what I was trying to justify.

All that being said, any feedback on my planned display, pos/neg?

Sorry for such a long post but I needed to get this information out there for anyone who cared. And THANK YOU so much to everyone who responded. I really do believe most everyone does care and wants to help. I didn’t expect this much feedback.

I was in your shoes last year being equally young and having no money. I viewed the whole thing as an investment. It was waaaay to much to spend for a one year thing. But, this equipment will allow you to decorate for years and years to come. When I put my money out for a few boards, I was (and still am) expecting a 5-10 year return on the boards, and this definitely makes it worthwhile for me. If you think you will enjoy using LOR, do it. You're not just putting on a show this year. You're investing in the future.

Stack,

Understanding your ultimate goal of more than one color in locations. Why not maybe this year animate. Nothing saying that because you purchase LOR equipment that it has to be sychronized to music. You could just animate.

Last year was my first year using LOR equipment. I had previously had computer control in the late 80's /early 90's. My goal last year was to have my display as I did back then but with new controls. My wife wanted to add mini trees so that added the need for 36 channels.

This year my mega trees is going from 8 channels to 64 channels. Last year's version used 8 channels that basically went up and over the top. this year will ahve 16 seperately controlled strings and each will have 4 colors.

I would recommend that start with fewer channels and then grow from there. That way you get your feet wet with sequencing.

Chuck

I say you should go for it but start smaller maybe, As i look at this and really want to try this i run into some of the same concerns, I dont have a lot to drop on LOR Controllers right now, i want to start with a small Display for 2007 to see if the Geek in me can pull it off, I showed my mom the video of Carson's house that a friend sent to me, And she told me its just the kind of thing she could see me doing. I started hitting the PC website and hit all the After Christmas sells with my wife rolling her Eyes at me, Why are you buying More Christmas Lights :)

For me its about seeing if I can do this, im still in the throws of trying to sync my first song, wondering if i can get this going, but i think it will all be worth it :) buy the controller set up a show. then if it doesnt work out im sure there will be plenty of folks willing to buy it off you :)

Just one suggestion you MIGHT think about is to not animate the whole display...
Leaving some things static gives a display a bit of an "anchor".
One thing you can do is use just 1 or 2 channels to be able to turn the "static" parts "on" and "off".
This actually came from a long time veteran of LOR so I can't take the credit for it! :(

One of the things that people try to do starting out, (myself included) is to animate everything and sometimes it ends up looking rather "blinky". Keeping some things static and also focusing on using color fades while saving the dancing or chasing effects for a "wow!" to give it a punch at the right moment can be much more appealing sometimes!
This would let you for example use a single channel to control the color for ALL 10 windows, (red, blue, green) and use 10 channels to control ONE of your colors (white or gold) to do chase or dance effects!
That alone would reduce your channel count for the windows from 50 to 13 !!! :shock:

As mentioned also, 4 colors seem to work much better since music is usually based on a 4 beat measure. Also too many colors tend to "washout" and lose their punch (did 5 colors my first year...dropped to 4 last year... and it worked out nicely!)

Just some ideas I thought I would throw out for you to think about....:)

Is it worth it??? You Bet!! The children are the biggest payback (if you're looking for one) The oooohs and aaahs, the smiling faces. The "Thank You" and here's a plus... you actually get to here LOTS of folks say "Merry Christmas" and with feeling.:)

One memorable moment for me was an 8 year old boy who's mom told me he was dying to ask me how I did it (light show). When I asked him how would he like to see the actually controller system his eyes lit up as he said "REALLY" Ten minutes or so and numerous questions later we shook hands and agreed he is to call me in a few years to come see his light show. :(

Is it work, yes. But then like all things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. And ,... you can make putting it together it a family event (or bigger.)

How much $$$$ to invest? We all face that question. The answer has already been stated several different ways. For me,... 1st. rule Don't let the bills and essential expenses slide!

Nuff Said,

The Christmas In The Boro Nerve Center http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/kenintnpb/LOR%20Panel/?action=view&current=1169365778.pbw

terrypowerz wrote:

As mentioned also, 4 colors seem to work much better since music is usually based on a 4 beat measure. Also too many colors tend to "washout" and lose their punch (did 5 colors my first year...dropped to 4 last year... and it worked out nicely!)

You can further cheat this if you are running short on channels. Last year I had trees wrapped in red, green, and white. By using three channels I had seven effects - trees red, trees green, trees white, trees red+green (very Christmas), trees red+white (candy cane looking), trees white+green (kind of wintergreen looking) and trees red+white+green.

To the 4/4 beat of the music, I would usually do three solid colors and then one of the combo's. It gave the illusion of many more channels than I actually had.

I will be the first to say that I am a lurker, but I have been a member here on PC for a many year and I read almost every post. This thread really struck a nerve !!

I am 61 years old and have had a display as long as I can remember. I have used computer control for some years and have been using LOR since it open its doors. I would like to share a letter that I received 2 years ago :

Dear Sir,

About a week & half ago my dad was diagnosed with liver cancer. They say he is already so bad that he is beyond there help. They gave him a month to two months to live, but in just a few days he is already bed ridden. Before he got this bad, a friend of ours told us about your Christmas light show. So we took my dad to see them and you would not believe how happy they made him. And the story about the candles made all of us feel good. I know that it must have taken a tremendous amount of hard work to put together a production like that, and I just had to let you know that you gave me and my family Christmas Spirit in a time we thought that we could not have had any. Thank You so very much !

And the letter was signed my this young girl.

We receive a number of letters and cards every year but this letter was special. I located this young girl and we dedicated our Four Candles of Light display to her father this past year in our private community show.

You can read more on our web site www.lakemyrachristmas.com . Just go to Displays.

Is it worth the time, and investment ? You and only you can make that decision !!

I know I will continue until I past and hopefully God will let me share the Christmas Spirit for a many more years.

Happy lighting to everyone

Don Williams

Wendell, NC

Don Williams wrote:

I would like to share a letter that I received 2 years ago :

Don Williams

Wendell, NC

Don,

That was a touching post. Thanks for sharing and glad to see you post :(.

When reading stories like this, it sure makes having a Christmas display worth it, 100 times over.

Tom

I agree, with the both of you!

I have 80 channels, 144,000 lights and a santa suit LOL, Last year santa was standing out in the bitter cold, snowing, wondering the same exact thing, Is this REALLY worth it? Then a car pulles up, santa goes down and says hello, asks the little girl sitting in the back seat if she had been a good little girl this year, and she looks at me with the sweetest look and the most compassion!

the little girl then said "Santa, I brought you something, A candy cane"

my heart melted, I knew then The answer to my question, YES ITS WORTH IT!

Its the joy it brings, the time spent together, and the spirit that obviously lives in all of us on this site, that makes it such a marvalous thing!

I rely on the PC post for alot of exciting info every year, and it sometimes makes you wonder why didnt i think of that!

I am honestly at the point of asking myself the same question. I spent three hours in the garage bent over on the floor knocking my giant video wreath made of pvc apart and gluing all the joints back together. This morning I can hardly stand upright, that's after Doans pills.

I suspect this hobby will be the same as Fear Fair, the haunted house I operate each year. Many people think myself and my cast are insane. We work at the haunt each Sunday year around for six to eight hours, totally give any free time at all the months of September and October each year, the list goes on and on.

But on opening night, when the lobby fills, everyone is in costume, the first group starts in and you hear the screams and laughter...man, that's a feeling you can't describe or bottle... it's quite simply an addiction.

If the first night the display is running and the cars start stopping is anywhere close, I will be hooked for life..

But that's just me, and I am weird by my own admission... :dude:

DStack701 wrote:

I have been planning to buy 6 LOR controllers since last christmas but now I am having second thought. I was waiting for the sale and the prices have certainly gotten better but I just can't justify spending $1500 on a display that is only up for a month and a half. I wanted to buy 6 PC pre-assembled boards, FM transmitter and all the extension cords and extra lights. The lights and cords really aren't my concern is the other stuff. ..........So my question is, how do you justify such high cost of LOR and everything else?

I know it will be cool and exciting but spending so much, i don't know. I know I really won't be using LOR for anything else but christmas. Oh and not to mention the time needed to sequence.

Well for first year 6 controllers may actually "overwealm" you. Maybe I might suggest just getting 1 or 2 controllers and spend at or under $500.

I'd like to impress on you that you can actually put "a LOT of lights" on 2 controllers. Actually if you stretch out your strings and run straight lines instead of wiggling lights into bushes or worried about 1 circuit for each of dozens of little 2 ft high christmas trees, you can FILL 1/2 acre full of lights nice and bright with just 2 controllers and you dont spend money that you feel you will have second thoughts over.

I agree, the most I ever spent at any one time on this stuff is $1600 and that was originally in the conversion from Dasher to more modern lights so I was already bought and sold on the program, knew what I was doing and had a $80,000 year job at the time. To start from scratch in your shoes... I wouldnt spend so much at one time but you can get your feet wet for very little money starting out small. You really need to because I have seen too many people buy like 6 or 8 controllers and be so overwealmed the first year that 1/2 or more of the controllers sit unused!

DStack701 wrote:

Good God you dont want to get into a turf war... to be honest there are various brands I will not name as this gets me into trouble here, but there are brands more expensive and also brands "less expensive" then LOR, I believe for the most part I cannot see ANY difference in usefulness or features. One company had an edge for a while with offering DMX compatibility but I believe that gap has closed now.

To be honest, overall the price differences in "hobby" version products that each company offers differs very little in price at the end, although plug and play and ready to go boards can have quite a strong price difference. I suggest being 21 and probably hopefully good with electronics, get a hobby board and do your best with it, it can be substantially cheaper for you. Some price differences between brands for example might really level out in the end. For example one trick would be to "call" each of the three companies yourself rather then order on the internet and TELL them you are shopping around between the three. Some of the companies are known to compete (throw in free software, throw in preprogrammed shows for free, etc or offer you customer upgrade returns which is in good working condition but returned so they can get more expensive higher amp versions of hardware for 1/3 of web page advertised prices) and see what you can get.

As for the FM Transmitter... www.ramseyelectronics.com has one that is super duper cheap, like around $30 or less... thats the way to go and you can use regular rabbit ears off a TV for a broadcast antenna. I use actually a tuned ground wave antenna and my little solder it yourself transmitter has lasted 11 years and still going strong and never needs to be retuned or ever drifts off frequency because of the good antenna.

If I were to limit myself to only one or two controllers, I would be unable to do the effects that I would like. I'm still undecided but have one more question........LOR sale last the 12th thru the 25th. Does that means it ends tonight at midnight or midnight on the 25th???