Light-O-Rama Forums

Why the repeat?

719matt3796

Ok everytime i open a sequence to look at it or adjust it and close out it keeps putting in another lms sequence in my light o rama folder. the extra one it puts in there if I click on it it dont open up so I delete it out. Why does this keep happening?

Guest wbottomley

Ok everytime i open a sequence to look at it or adjust it and close out it keeps putting in another lms sequence in my light o rama folder. the extra one it puts in there if I click on it it dont open up so I delete it out. Why does this keep happening?

What's the file extension?

The reason they are there because the software does it for a reason.

It's really not a good idea to delete things just because you don't understand what they are there for...

Maybe it’s actually .lms.bak. But the .bak might not show because the OS is hiding extensions on you. If that’s the case, this is a backup of the previous copy of the sequence file.

So you can delete the .LCS files. LOR will regenerate these automatically.

Unless LOR fixed an issue from earlier 3.X versions (yet to be tested) last year if you copied the LMS and LCS from a build computer to a show computer, there was problems with LOR hanging mid show. It turned out to be a problem with the Compressed file. The workaround was to only move the LMS and let the software re-generate the LCS on the show computer. Once I did that, the stoppages, stopped.

So you can delete the .LCS files. LOR will regenerate these automatically.

Unless LOR fixed an issue from earlier 3.X versions (yet to be tested) last year if you copied the LMS and LCS from a build computer to a show computer, there was problems with LOR hanging mid show. It turned out to be a problem with the Compressed file. The workaround was to only move the LMS and let the software re-generate the LCS on the show computer. Once I did that, the stoppages, stopped.

I wasn't aware of that (I still ran the show on S2 last season). Will the show controller generate the .lcs the first time, or do you have to go into the SE to have it built?

Would be good to hear from Mike, Dan, or someone about whether or not this is still an issue.

I wasn't aware of that (I still ran the show on S2 last season). Will the show controller generate the .lcs the first time, or do you have to go into the SE to have it built?

Would be good to hear from Mike, Dan, or someone about whether or not this is still an issue.

Yes, the LOR Tray regenerated the Compressed file for any sequence that did not have one. I think that was 3.4 or 3.5, I forget what I ran last season. Michael Simmons (Hi-Tek) and I chatted a lot about this issue when he came up to spend some time with us last year in the early days of our show. I hosed myself and updated to that version of software, then the issues started. NEVER update your software once you have something running. I knew I made a big mistake, but at least the fix was simple enough.

Edited by zman

Ok So i am a Rookie and all this talk is making me confused. What is the compressed file for? and do you think it may be because it is putting it in BAK?

Ok So i am a Rookie and all this talk is making me confused. What is the compressed file for?

It's a much smaller version of your sequence, optimized for fast loading by the show controller. Faster loading = less gaps between songs in your show. The help file explains this in detail.

and do you think it may be because it is putting it in BAK?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking here. The SE always creates a .bak file which is the version of your .lms (or .las) file prior to the one that you just saved.

Guest wbottomley

Ok So i am a Rookie and all this talk is making me confused. What is the compressed file for? and do you think it may be because it is putting it in BAK?

While your sequencer is open, press "F1" and you'll learn a lot about the software and what it does.

By the way thanks for the help guys I love this forum. Another question I just got done making my star..Can I give it a test hooking it up to the controller and just running out of sequnce editor?

Ok so I just noticed this under the extra ones it says lms.BAK.....LMS.lcs.. and LMS.lsv. So is this supposed to do this then?

Yes. See Don's link above if you care what each file is for, otherwise you can safely ignore them (and don't delete them!)

By the way thanks for the help guys I love this forum. Another question I just got done making my star..Can I give it a test hooking it up to the controller and just running out of sequnce editor?

Yes you can. Make sure "Control lights" is checked in the play menu.

Note that it's generally best to keep a "one topic per thread" when you ask questions - not so much for our benefit but for yours - as some will not see the question tucked into an 'unrelated' thread.

I have a question....

My desktop PC or what I use to sequence is 3.4.0. I transferred all my final sequences and copy only the .lms and audio files over to my show PC laptop. I usually open each sequence in the Sequence Editor once its on my show PC and resave, but notice half way through that my show PC was version 3.3.0. However, it save and ran perfect. It was my understanding that you can't go backwards with sequence versions...only forward?? Meaning earlier seq version will work on later SW versions, but later seq version will not work on earlier SW versions. Or does that only apply to S2?

I think that only applies to S3 vs S2. Either that or else we haven't gotten far enough down the S3 road yet to make a difference. I copy sequences between two different PCs - one running 3.7, the other one running 3.2 I think and there's never yet been an issue.

I have my SE set not to create the LSV files, if there was a way to keep it from creating the compressed lcs files, I would not have those created either. Mainly because I use an DC-MP3 Showtime Director and from what I recall, the Director units can only use the MP3, LMS or LSS files. So the LSV and Compressed {LCS} files I don't use or have a need for. I delete them all the time with no ill effects.

But if you do use a PC to run your show, then you would not wsnt to delete the LCS files. I don't recall what the LSV files are, but seem to think they may be related to the SuperStar Software?

But if you do use a PC to run your show, then you would not wsnt to delete the LCS files. I don't recall what the LSV files are, but seem to think they may be related to the SuperStar Software?

LSV and more ... here.

LSV and more ... here.

Thanks Don. I still use the old animation, not the visualizer, so I guess that's why I never noticed any changes when I would delete those files. Or at least I've never had them clear out the original animation I set up. Kind of odd it would create those files even though you're not using the visualizer.

Guess I'll add more to it later, but ..

"LSV is what saves your visual preferences (zoom level, etc.) in the Sequence Editor."