Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio Tune in sign

ranjanpa

post-1228-0-06904200-1351703233_thumb.jpYou can make a box out of scrap wood and get a piece of plexiglass from box store to fill in. Cut out some letters and tape these to the plexiglass. Then spray paint the plexiglass white. I lined the inside of box with aluminum foil to reflect the light forward and used some old C-9 bulbs inside the box to illuminate with. I added the emblem you see in the photo before I painted also. This has been used for four years now and still works for under $20 investment.

Ditto

This is my first year transmitting so asked a sign guy I know if he could make up a cheap sign. He used scraps he had laying around. Total price "FREE"! Just got to wrap the frame & light it up. post-9453-13518960950839_thumb.jpg

I made a "light box" out of 1 x 4's and used 1/8" white melamine for the back. I used white lexan for the front and masked "tune to 106.9"

and spray painted everything flat back. Then removed the masking and it looked great. I used Holiday Coro LED modules inside for light.

The light bounces off the white melamine well and the white lexan glow evenly with no hot spots. I actually looks very professional. You can use

letters printed from publisher or alike as well to cut the masking. I also put my radio transmitter inside the box since its waterproof.

Bout 30 bucks.

tj

Edited by tjflory

Tj sounds like an awesome design. I might have to steal your blue prints for next years sign. Lol! Can you post a pic or many pics? Then I can submit it to my engineering depart (6yr old daughter) for approval. Thanks!

........... I also put my radio transmitter inside the box since its waterproof.

Awesome Idea!!

I'm using a 10" x 14" piece of clear acrilic to make my light box. used vinol letters/numbers to mask. Spray painted with light absorbing flat black paint (camo paint by rustolium). realized I didn't double check the frequincy I choose. scraped off the 5 and re masked with a 9 (92.9). then clear coated it (water proof). I'm going to glue defuser behind the text and use 3 C9 bulbs. I'll post a picture of the complete box when done.

Order a banner from shindigz.com and put a spotlight on it. They're only about $15 plus shipping. Run down to HD or Lowes and pick up a couple pieces of 2" PVC and a few Y connectors and build a quick frame. Tape it and paint it red and leave the white to resemble Candy cane striping. Banner, PVC and paint about $30. and about an hour for the build. Just make sure you find out how long it will be for shipping. If I don't forget, I'll get a pic of mine and post. It'll be later this evening.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Sorry .. the image I have for my sign is on my gallery.

I just did a google search for Christmas backgrounds and found one I like.

Took it into photoshop and added the text. Makes it look like the snowmen

are looking at the sign.

A friend of mine printed it off in his sign shop for about $30

About $20 worth of wood and I had it framed in a box.

Added a string of C6 bulbs into it and it gives it a nice even lighting effect.

http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/image/128604203

Dave