Light-O-Rama Forums

PC Boards vs. Standard Boards

Guest guest

Hey guys-
I'm having trouble deciding between the PC boards, and the standard 16 channel boards. What are you guys doing? The deal on the PC boards is soo great, I can pick up more channels than buying the standard (are they called Deluxe?) boards. I can easily run a Cat-5 out of my garage to the units, so standalone feature for me isn't that critical. Likewise, 30Amp vs 40amp- well, for the price, I can pick up extra channels to make up for the 10amp loss between the two. What are you guys doing? I'm ready to order- just not sure which way to go here...

Another consideration is that LED lights greatly reduce the current demand. So 30 amps lights more lights nowadays than it used to!

I, too, would go for more channels over features since I have PC's all over and don't need any stand-alone capabilities.

I also was deciding on which to purchase. Since I already have the standard boards, which were made from the DIY kits with no problems, I think I will stay with them. The option of have 40amp verse 30amp max, and the unit selectors was tough. I do however like the terminal connectors, wish it was on the standard boards.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have mini-trees in your display they would be suitable for these as they probably don't draw more than one amp each tree Cheaper cost for this use

Denis Chaput wrote:

If you have mini-trees in your display they would be suitable for these as they probably don't draw more than one amp each tree Cheaper cost for this use

THey would be fine for mini trees

Scottsgrfx wrote:

I also was deciding on which to purchase. Since I already have the standard boards, which were made from the DIY kits with no problems, I think I will stay with them. The option of have 40amp verse 30amp max, and the unit selectors was tough. I do however like the terminal connectors, wish it was on the standard boards.

Ya know, I now have a combination of both, placed the order with my son when the boards went on sale, and they are all assembled and ready to go. The great news is I found an enclosure that will hold 6 boards, because of their reduced size, and will make life even more simple than before. The other good news is the enclosure Dan sells is really very very nice. I was a little worried at first because I like to cinch down on my connections, but for seasonal connections the lugs will work just fine.

Most of my needs are for channels that will light just a few strings since starting this year we will be doing some major animations, and lowering the costs will allow us to go even further with the dollars we have set aside to work with.

Functionality wise, there is no reason not to get the PC versions. Unless you are getting close to maxing out the amperage. As Don's spreadsheet points out, you have the spade connectors vs the lugs and there is no dial to select the unit number. The latter is defined in the hardware utility. I am running a mix of both this year.