Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR II...to wait or not to wait

Guest guest

Last year I almost bit off more than I could chew. I went from *NO* outside decoration in 2005 to 48 channels/20,000 lights in 2006. I started in October and managed to get it all pulled together and three songs up and running by the week after Thanksgiving.

This year, I'm going from 48 channels to 144 channels. Fortuanely, I know this now, in June. The big question I have is: Should I invest the time to start sequencing in LOR 1 now, or wait for LOR 2?

I know that whatever I do in LOR 1 will roll forward into LOR 2, but if LOR 2 is going to significanlty cut down the amount of time it will take me to sequence a song, I would really rather wait as I could spend more time with my wife and kids rather than sitting in front of the computer.

Conversely, if LOR 2 is just adding effects and not cutting down on the time it takes to sequence, or if LOR 2 isn't released until Sept/Oct, I may be behind the 8-ball again if I wait.

I just hate to spend the time now, only to find out later that I could've done it in 1/2 the time and spent the other half with the family. Wasting money isn't good, but I can always get more. Wasting time, however, is different...especially when you have young kids.

Any thoughts?

derrickb wrote:

Last year I almost bit off more than I could chew. I went from *NO* outside decoration in 2005 to 48 channels/20,000 lights in 2006. I started in October and managed to get it all pulled together and three songs up and running by the week after Thanksgiving.

This year, I'm going from 48 channels to 144 channels. Fortuanely, I know this now, in June. The big question I have is: Should I invest the time to start sequencing in LOR 1 now, or wait for LOR 2?

I know that whatever I do in LOR 1 will roll forward into LOR 2, but if LOR 2 is going to significanlty cut down the amount of time it will take me to sequence a song, I would really rather wait as I could spend more time with my wife and kids rather than sitting in front of the computer.

Conversely, if LOR 2 is just adding effects and not cutting down on the time it takes to sequence, or if LOR 2 isn't released until Sept/Oct, I may be behind the 8-ball again if I wait.

I just hate to spend the time now, only to find out later that I could've done it in 1/2 the time and spent the other half with the family. Wasting money isn't good, but I can always get more. Wasting time, however, is different...especially when you have young kids.

Any thoughts?

Here's some advice: go ahead and start your new sequences in version I. There's no guarantee that version II will be out by this season (Dan correct me if I'm wrong). Version 1.6.1 or 1.6.3 has a wave form monitor that helps tremendously. I've already started for this year. When version II comes out, I will add more songs to my list of 20 so far.

I haven't heard anything about LORII being faster to develop sequences than V1.6.
V1.6 has the addition of the waveform which speeds up development over V1.5.

Here's what I'd do...... pick out your songs, make your animation, do an initial beat on a channel for each of your songs, then start adding the individual detail for each of the channels last. That way you are getting the "bull in a china shop" work out of the way first. Youll have to do that anyway no matter what new features will be in LOR II.

Just my 2 cents.

derrickb wrote:

I just hate to spend the time now, only to find out later that I could've done it in 1/2 the time and spent the other half with the family. Wasting time, however, is different...especially when you have young kids.

Any thoughts?

I would not wait as you never know when they may be an unforseen delay, or a delay due to other causes. And it could be that you may have something come up in the fall that will eat your time up and not allow you to sequence.

I do mine at night when everybody else is watching television or after they have retired for the evening. About an hour or so a day is all I do.

Please, do not wait. Start now.

To my knowledge, there is no known list of features for LOR II. Thus, we have no way to know what features will be included. Unless one of these features is the "I know what your thinking, and I'll do it for you" sequencer ... you are still going to have to spend time programing list.

I said it last year, and I'll say it this year ... everyone .. please don't wait.

Don wrote:

...one of these features is the "I know what your thinking, and I'll do it for you" ...

That's what I want!!!

My wife thinks that *I* am supposed to have that feature.

If you have everything already figured out, then you may want to start sequencing. I am not working on my Display until next month. At that time I will spend the first part of my time designing my new layout and figuring how much cords and power I will need. Also I will start figuring out what songs I want to use. Sequencing is going to be one of my last steps and I plan on starting it in Sep/Oct. If LOR2 is not out by then, I will just use LOR1. If LOR2 comes out before October and offers some video syncing like Animated Lighting does, I may be able to pull off some video stuff, but if it comes out really late and has some features like the video syncing, it will be late to try and pull it off for me.

I really don't think LOR2 is going to be a Major time saver, it will just have more features and you may even use more time playing around with them. If this is the case and you wait, you will be using ALL your spare time to sequence.

-Richard

I don't see many reasons why you should wait. The first couple sequences you make will not be that great, so get the learning phase out of the way now. All the skills you learn now will transfer over to LORII and so will the sequences. You may save some time by sequencing in LORII over LORI, but it's not going to be much, if at all.

Dan has said LORII will be out this season. That may mean tomorrow, or it may mean middle of November. 144 channels is a lot, I would get started now.

This whole thread feels just like the movie Ground Hog day. :laughing:

Same posts, same replies, different year.

Orrrrrrrrrrr....... is it the same.......(insert evil laugh here).... Hummmmmmmmm

FF to June 2008. DON'T WAIT TO SEQUENCE, IT'LL DRIVE YOU CRAAAAZY!!

:tree: