Light-O-Rama Forums

The best layout for a single 16 Channel Light-O-Rama Controller r

Arteom

My "plan" started out on 16 channels:

( ... )

Even so your display still is not what I see most of the time, people space out and light random things, (Like in that video) Your layout seems planned, symmetrical, tasteful & with the right sequencing, beautiful.

Ok, so you seem to have good timing that I can see, esp for the first tune. just having a few strings of lights on your carpet is no way to say that you have a good or great display or a total stinker. It is how you interpret the song with visual layout. Translate that to where in the yard and what the item is. Like a window frame or a tomato cage tree.

Can't see the colors on the rug they are sitting on, so not sure the colors will clash.

How are you mounting the lights to the carpet? Velcro?

Since you are using just 16 channels, maybe those 16 channel users with the ugly displays, that just blink awkwardly, can give you some input.

Those links don't open I just get an (about:blank) page and it just stays there...

I tested the link, it works fine, but here it is again: http://www.lightorama.com/Videos/2011/ShiningBright2011-Cat2.htm

Ok, so you seem to have good timing that I can see, esp for the first tune. just having a few strings of lights on your carpet is no way to say that you have a good or great display or a total stinker. It is how you interpret the song with visual layout. Translate that to where in the yard and what the item is. Like a window frame or a tomato cage tree.

I'm not trying to say I have a good display, I just wanted input of the timing/ effects. However it's difficult to tell the timing on this video because the video and audio did not exactly match. The picture in the first forum post is how the lights are supposed to be laid out on the house.

Can't see the colors on the rug they are sitting on, so not sure the colors will clash.

How are you mounting the lights to the carpet? Velcro?

Since you are using just 16 channels, maybe those 16 channel users with the ugly displays, that just blink awkwardly, can give you some input.

I don't want to be rude, nor should you take this the wrong way... but I have no idea what you mean by your first sentence :huh: .

As mentioned previously the lights will be on the wall of the house. I haven't even started putting lights up, This was a test, and the lights are on the floor.

And again, people start taking my words in a total different direction... not sure if it's me or the people on this here forum. I seem to be sending a wrong message across. :unsure: Yes I said most of the displays I've seen with 16 channels are ugly... but that doesn't mean they all are. B)

I know and you know and everyone that knows, knows what we all know, that everyone knows, that we all know what I'm talking about, you know. :lol:

Sorry, I'll try to dumb down the subtle humor.

If you notice a LOT of people are "taking your words the wrong way", I guess its not the people that are reading them "on this here forum"...it might be the person typing them.

More importantly, did the link work for you this time?

No clue what you mean by the last sentence..not trying to be rude or anything...just sayin'...

• Like 1

Sorry, I'll try to dumb down the subtle humor.

If you notice a LOT of people are "taking your words the wrong way", I guess its not the people that are reading them "on this here forum"...it might be the person typing them.

More importantly, did the link work for you this time?

No clue what you mean by the last sentence..not trying to be rude or anything...just sayin'...

Feel free to use all the subtle humor you want... It's a forum, freedom of speech is accepted. ;) The link worked in a different browser... and even though there are really nice shows in there, a few 16 Channel videos don't look that great. It's my opinion and I have a right to it, as do you.

Last sentence was not supposed to make sense, but you do know...

Pass the perfect purple pie plate please, say that 10 times fast :P

I'm another first year newcomer, also limited by cost, but tired of the "Mr Magic" machine. With one 16 channel controller on the way, I have completed my first "virtual" sequence and beginning on my second. Our house is a two story model with very little yard space. We are "vertical" instead of "horizontal". So my plan is as follows:

1) Upper Roof - White C9

2) Upper Roof - Multi C9

3) Lower Roof - White C9

4) Lower Roof - Multi C9

5) Door/Patio Arch Left - White Minis

6) Door/Patio Arch Left - Multi Minis

7) Door/Patio Arch Right - White Minis

8) Door/Patio Arch Right - Multi Minis

9) Candy Canes (These run across the width of the front of the house)

10) Tree - Multi Minis (Large tree on left of house)

Note: the following channels run left to right across the width of the house)

11) Small left most bush - Multi Net Mini

12) Small deer - White Mini

13) Large deer - White Mini

14) Med left bush - Multi Net Mini

15) TBD ("Dark" spot on left-center to be filled by a prop of some kind

16) Far right Doe (white mini) and "pond" (blue net mini to look like water doe drinking from)

Also note that the arches are physically between 14 and 15 above.

With the above layout, I hope to be able to do white vs multi-color "vertical" effects, and also be able to do right-to-left "horizontal" effects across the ground-level. The candy canes, small red and white minis used as path markers, are perfect as my "bass line" for the musical sequences as an added bonus when needed.

Comments? Love any feedback. Thanks! :)

Mark

• Like 2

Well first of all I don't think most 16 channel displays are ugly. Lots of people put a lot of time and thought into putting on their shows, and it is a little presumptuous of you to say this until you actually have your own show out there. I can tell you this, I would never criticize anybody else's display including yours. Most people starting out can only afford 16 or 32 channels. And there certainly is a learning curve to sequencing and it takes a lot of time and practice. I never try to compare my display to anyone else's. I simply want to encourage and congratulate anyone who puts effort into this form of entertainment.

• Like 6

Guest Don Gillespie

Well first of all I don't think most 16 channel displays are ugly. Lots of people put a lot of time and thought into putting on their shows, and it is a little presumptuous of you to say this until you actually have your own show out there. I can tell you this, I would never criticize anybody else's display including yours. Most people starting out can only afford 16 or 32 channels. And there certainly is a learning curve to sequencing and it takes a lot of time and practice. I never try to compare my display to anyone else's. I simply want to encourage and congratulate anyone who puts effort into this form of entertainment.

Probably the best post in the whole thread. thank you Melvin

Agreed. I need to get my brain to mouth, keyboard filter replaced. Apologies to anyone who was offended by my previous comments.

Oh and Mark, I love that you kept your plan simple, and tasteful, yet incorporated two different visual effects with the Multis and the Whites... I would love to see what you do with your sequencing . Oh and trust me, I've owen all the Mr.Magic Dancing Light machines out there, and none compare to how amazing a Light-O-Rama Controller is.

And again, people start taking my words in a total different direction... not sure if it's me or the people on this here forum. I seem to be sending a wrong message across.

I have know idea why people would take your words in a "different direction" when you say things like this:

I see many houses with 16 Channels and let's be honest here, they are ugly, everything just blinks awkwardly, there is no rhythm, its not tasteful or decorative, In my opinion it looks worse than if the lights are all grounded.

I think the direction of your words are pretty clear, and doubt anybody would misinterpret what you meant.

I think you will find that most that are new that do their own sequencing will face difficulty their first few years. Until you walk in their shoes, actually do a whole display (not a single element), and sequence it all yourself (rather than copying parts of others' sequences), all while maintaining a full-time job and fulfilling family obligations of being a father or mother, it is pretty bold of you to make such judgements. Someday you may understand. I wish I had the time now that I had on my hands when I was 17 yrs old like you (and trust me, I was VERY busy then, playing varsity sports year-round plus working while in school, but it still pales to the busyness of life when you are older and have a family).

Just saying.

Edited by Surfing4Dough
  • Like 2

I think you will find that most that are new that do their own sequencing will face difficulty their first few years. Until you walk in their shoes, actually do a whole display (not a single element), and sequence it all yourself (rather than copying parts of others' sequences), all while maintaining a full-time job and fulfilling family obligations of being a father or mother, it is pretty bold of you to make such judgements. Someday you may understand. I wish I had the time now that I had on my hands when I was 17 yrs old like you (and trust me, I was VERY busy then, playing varsity sports year-round plus working while in school, but it still pales to the busyness of life when you are older and have a family).

Just saying.

I guess all I can do is agree. It was inconsiderate of me to criticize before I walked my own path. I am sure you were busy at 17, but i'm not a floating goose either :P my online business and school take up most of my day... I try to get done what I can without forgetting the important things first.

I can only leave everyone my word. From now on, I will be more thoughtful when commenting on others work, and I vow to only criticize the things that I have experienced.

All that said... how did YOU start off in this hobby :)

Edited by Arteom

You think that most are ugly, wait till next year when you look at your sequencing from this year and I bet you will say "MY, that was ugly" If I do not like someones display, I will not comment on it. But to go as far as to say they are ugly, especially from a newbie, that just isn't right. So with that being said, I will not comment on your display till I actually see it as a display, not a bunch of lights on the floor.

I'm starting out as a middle age man (balding no less... :rolleyes: ), working full time, wife and 3 kids, etc...so I fully understand what Surfing4Dough is saying. I started my research into this in July, and It's all I can do just to learn the very basics this year and try to get one song done. I just don't have the time, or skills yet, to do more. Even before I dove into this over the summer, I was always amazed at how people did this. I knew it wasn't a "plug and play" hobby, but didn't realize just how involved it was. I've very quickly developed an amazing amount of respect for those who manage to pull of shows, no matter how big or small.

I'm at work right now, not my home computer, so I don't have my programming stuff here. And due to Hurricane Sandy, I have no internet at home. But as soon as I'm able to, I'll try to figure out how to post my first finished sequence here. I just finished it during the storm, and it's 16 channels. I actually need to go back and tweak it, as this was just my first pass at it. But I don't mind sharing "as is". I'm sure it looks really rough, and in several years I'll look back at it and say "Wow, what a newb I was". But for now, it's got me grinning ear to ear. If I get time to make another song before the holiday, or even half way through the season, I'll definitely do it (taking a lot of saved up vacation days). Otherwise, the rest of my 16 channel show will be borrowed/modified sequences. But no matter what, I'll be proud of it.

• Like 6