Light-O-Rama Forums

The best layout for a single 16 Channel Light-O-Rama Controller r

Arteom

For sure not by criticizing those that walked before me.

I'm sure we've established that, I was just wondering how did you get involved with LOR and how big did you start off?

I was part of a larger show. that is now longer. I started off with 16 and a lot of people in my neighborhood has 8ch, In my opinion 16ch is a lot of ch. You can make a nice show out of 16ch. Good luck

I was part of a larger show. that is now longer. I started off with 16 and a lot of people in my neighborhood has 8ch, In my opinion 16ch is a lot of ch. You can make a nice show out of 16ch. Good luck

Do you use faces for your christmas display too?

Well, I'm a newbie also, so I've only got 16 channels this year, but, I did try to keep it small and rather compact.

I put up 8 strings across the front porch on about an 8 foot spread at the top, angling down to the center on the ground, 1/2 way up between the 8 strings, I suspended a small star. Then I have 1 channel on the roofline, 1 channel for both columns, 4 small trees each on its own channel, then 1 channel each on our round evergreen bushes.

I think for my first attempt, it looks pretty good, but thats IMO-lol

I also know I'm pretty much "had" in trying to learn the sequencing this year in time, so I found some 16 ch songs on the web, plus I upgraded to Superstar, and ran some songs through it. Actually, "sandstorm" mp3 looks dang good(once again IMO) I'm happy with it for this year, but I do need more lights(when my gf asked how many more, told her I wanted enough that the cop across the street had to wear shades when he comes out!...she didn't agree-lol)

Well, I'm a newbie also, so I've only got 16 channels this year, but, I did try to keep it small and rather compact.

I put up 8 strings across the front porch on about an 8 foot spread at the top, angling down to the center on the ground, 1/2 way up between the 8 strings, I suspended a small star. Then I have 1 channel on the roofline, 1 channel for both columns, 4 small trees each on its own channel, then 1 channel each on our round evergreen bushes.

I think for my first attempt, it looks pretty good, but thats IMO-lol

I also know I'm pretty much "had" in trying to learn the sequencing this year in time, so I found some 16 ch songs on the web, plus I upgraded to Superstar, and ran some songs through it. Actually, "sandstorm" mp3 looks dang good(once again IMO) I'm happy with it for this year, but I do need more lights(when my gf asked how many more, told her I wanted enough that the cop across the street had to wear shades when he comes out!...she didn't agree-lol)

So no sunshades!?!

I am also a newbie and this is my first year with 16 channels only. I have 10 sequences now for my show. None of them are my own sequenced songs. I just do not have time this year to sequence all my own songs. I will be mainly using the structure of my house for most of my channels. Roof line, garage, porch posts, doormer, gutters and things like that. I will then use 4 channels for some spiral trees, candy canes, and such. Hopefully next year I can add some more channels and use a few more props. I think all and all it will turn out well as will most as long as I do not use too many props with only 16 channels. Good luck to everyone on their displays.

at the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What might not look good to you might have a different effect on someone else. I don't consider my display to be as high tech or sharp as some on here but for the little 3 year old across the road (who's mom is suffering thru pancreatic cancer) they are part of his fondest childhood memories. He asked us yesterday as he came by to trick or treat "when are the Christmas lights gonna be here". We told him a couple of weeks but his mom says he keeps staring out his bedroom window until they do.

For most of us this isn't an art contest or high tech rodeo, we all have someone that we are making smile because of our blinking lights (whether they are in time or not).

• Like 2

Note for fellow newbies: don't give up on the sequencing! It really isn't that difficult. I've had the software for 6 days now (did not demo it first, but did a lot of reading of the manuals, FAQs, and watched the tutorial vids on LORs site). I now have 2 complete songs sequenced for 16 ch, and am half-way through the third - this one's taking longer, as I am sequencing channels for the voice track.

If you're at all familiar with audio editing programs like Audacity, this is really cake. Take the tips I've seen repeated here many times to heart:

- learn the keyboard shortcuts ASAP

- use the beat wizard

- don't be afraid to lay down multiple timings, or insert new timings (especially on voice channels)

- set the wave form display as a default view - it can save your sanity

- save - save - SAVE!

- volume level all of your sound tracks at some point using a program like Audacity or something similar, so you don't have to worry about volume issues when the show runs (one song too quiet, one rattles the neighbor's windows, etc.)

- THE VISUALIZER IS A GODSEND! USE IT! Spend the time to set up your channel map, then export it, import it into the visualizer and set the "actual" colors (including multi-color lights) in the visualizer - NOT the single colors you may be using for each channel in the sequencer (yes, they can be different).

Also, pick a "theme" for each music track and run with it. Is it going to be a "Beat" song, where you're focusing on the beat and some transitional animations where appropriate? Or is it going to be a "Vocal" track song, where you have one or more central elements mimick the main vocals? It is going to be a "Element Showcase" song, where the music is nothing more than background for showing off the animations/chases/twinkles/sparkles/etc of your channels? Pick one and run with it through about 30 seconds of basic sequencing, then display it in the visualizer. Does it work? Or are you WAY off track? Now is the time to adjust, as not every song is conducive to every theme type. Learned that really fast in just my first two songs!

These are just what is working for me, and leads me to believe I CAN make my 15 song goal of ALL custom-built sequences by Thanksgiving weekend (but if I make 10 complete, I'll be stoked!) These tips may not work for you, but heck - they just might! :)

AND HAVE FUN!!!

Mark

My first year was with 16 channels. Check out the video. Don't know if this will help, but people did enjoy it!

My first year was with 16 channels. Check out the video. Don't know if this will help, but people did enjoy it!

In all honestly, If I was driving by and seen this, I would pull over to enjoy it... It looks great!

Changing your mind now???????

I don't know, perhaps I am, because that show actually looks pretty good! Much better than the 16ch shows I've seen, and I'm not just saying that... I mean it.

Edited by Arteom

Guest Don Gillespie

i know it is not 16 Channel's but here is my Mr Christmas 6 Channel from 2011 - this year will be my First true LOr 32 Channel Setup no idea how its gonna look yet drawing a few ideas

I have to be perfectly honest here, it has been quite a few years since I heard a Mr Christmas box as a matter of fact the last time I heard one was the last year I used mine, in 2008 and quite frankly it sucked back then and I am so glad you are moving to a 32 channel system you will with out a doubt be thoroughly impressed, thank you for refreshing my memory and yes I do not miss those songs from the Mr Christmas boxes. ;)

Hi Don , would you know how to move a sequence from the "recent sequences" to the "existing sequences" and how i made this mistake, i have all the sequences i want to use in the "existing sequences" but somehow have two in the other "recent sequences", and dont know how to move then for use,

Thanks for the help

Jim

for the little 3 year old across the road (who's mom is suffering thru pancreatic cancer) they are part of his fondest childhood memories. He asked us yesterday as he came by to trick or treat "when are the Christmas lights gonna be here". We told him a couple of weeks but his mom says he keeps staring out his bedroom window until they do.

I had something similar in my neighborhood. This family loves Christmas lights. They waited all year to see the lights go up. Last year I asked the mom and children (2 sons) what their favorite Christmas song was. I surpised them by sequencing their song choice and added it to my display. OMG the whole family flipped out. They didn't expect it at all. Childhood memories... Gotta love it.

And to think, they didn't care how many channels it was.

No matter what any of the new people with the 16ch controllers think. You can not do any worst than my first solo year.

http://youtu.be/dUItMQ77FcM

You have to think of your audience. It's usually kids. And their level of quality is usually different than our level of quality. So do some research or don't do some research. It's all good at the end of the day. Personally I am fan of bootleg displays. That reminds me of home.

Edited by columbus27

No matter what any of the new people with the 16ch controllers think. You can not do any worst than my first solo year....

It's not terrible, better than the displays I've seen, I guess I commented too soon until I really seen a few nice(er) displays. Maybe this year the house with the lights last year will do their display again, I'll get a video and post it... Its not nearly as good as any of these displays, even you, columbus 27, that display has nothing on this... :D

Maybe I'll go over there and offer them some free sequences, or show them that they can buy some & how to install them... ;)