Light-O-Rama Forums

The best layout for a single 16 Channel Light-O-Rama Controller r

Arteom

I currently could only afford a single controller, 16 Channel.

My question is what/ how did you start with your first controller? How would you decorate this house? I see many houses with 16 Channels and let's be honest here, they are ugly, everything just blinks awkwardly, there is no rhythm, its not tasteful or decorative, In my opinion it looks worse than if the lights are all grounded.

I decided instead of going crazy like I see most newbies who get into this hobby do, I'll focus all my attention and details into a single "element" of my display.

I decided to take this wall and cover it with around 3,000 Clear Mini lights in 13 channel configurations to sorta have a "piano key" look... 1 Channel will be connected to small mini spiral trees, one will be on the ground outlining the flower bed, and the final channel will be outlining the roof.

Untitled-10.jpg

This should give you some ideas of how people started with their first controller: http://www.lightorama.com/Videos/2011/ShiningBright2011-Cat2.htm

Hopefully those folks with 16 channel controller displays that "...are ugly, everything just blinks awkwardly, there is no rhythm, its not tasteful or decorative, In my opinion it looks worse than if the lights are all grounded." will know you don't want their input.. ;)

Shoot me your email and I can send you my layout from last year. Last Christmas was my first show with only 1 controller. I had 8 minis, a couple blow molds, two led trees, plus the windows and gutters all running off of it. What I found on here is many of the sequences you can get from the sticky link involve two sets of 8. Most sequences that people shared with me were the same way. It was very easy to work with my setup. The minis were mainly set up to do the chasing. Let me know if you would like to take a peek.

• Like 1

This should give you some ideas of how people started with their first controller: http://www.lightoram...ht2011-Cat2.htm

Hopefully those folks with 16 channel controller displays that "...are ugly, everything just blinks awkwardly, there is no rhythm, its not tasteful or decorative, In my opinion it looks worse than if the lights are all grounded." will know you don't want their input.. ;)

Those links don't open I just get an (about:blank) page and it just stays there...

From all the videos I've seen on youtube, the most nice looking 16ch displays are the ones where people understand the boundaries you have with only 16ch, you can only do so much with a certain number of channels until it gets to the point that it looks "cheap" and thrown together... My personal opinion I guess....

A good example of what I'm referring to is this video....

I'm not saying my show is better or I think this way is right and thier way is wrong, opinions vary.

I would love to see some 16 channel displays that people really like so I can get some ideas from, any input is appreciated [even negative ;)]

This is my first year so not sure how it would be with 16 channels as I am starting with 160 + channels but I would say it is not how many channels a person uses it is what they do with it and how it is sequenced. As your comment about looking ugly that can be the case with 320 channels as well as 16 channels. It is not the number of channels it is how they are sequenced. I say this to suggest you spend the majority of your time in sequencing. If not sequenced right then no matter where your lights are it will look "ugly", to use your words. Your layout could be good or bad depending on your sequence. I see potential with your idea.

I completely agree. What people do with their 16 channels is take effects from displays with a ton more channels, and instead of removing what you can't do, and stay within the boundaries of what you're capable of; they take that look and try to recreate it in their displays. I've seen some amazing 16/32ch displays, and some horrific ones.

What i'm trying to get across is probably best shown with an analogy, let's say you're extremely hungry and want to get full as possible, you only got $10 in your pocket, you see a steakhouse, but all you can order is garlic bread. On the other hand, there is a diner across the street where for $10 you can get some garlic bread bread, a burger, a drink and a side. It might not taste as nice, might not be as high quality, but you used that $10 and bought the most you could, you used what you had, to get what you can, and you're full and happy!

I completely agree. What people do with their 16 channels is take effects from displays with a ton more channels, and instead of removing what you can't do, and stay within the boundaries of what you're capable of; they take that look and try to recreate it in their displays.

And you know this how?

What i'm trying to get across is probably best shown with an analogy, let's say you're extremely hungry and want to get full as possible, you only got $10 in your pocket, you see a steakhouse, but all you can order is garlic bread. On the other hand, there is a diner across the street where for $10 you can get some garlic bread bread, a burger, a drink and a side. It might not taste as nice, might not be as high quality, but you used that $10 and bought the most you could, you used what you had, to get what you can, and you're full and happy!

I'm sorry but for $10, you can get an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet and leave super full. :P

So which are you? A Steakhouse guy or a Diner across the street guy? Didn't figure that one out. ;)

Are you looking for the taste and quality, or the full and happy?

Dang, I'm gettin hungry now. Off to the steakhouse..... :)

I'm sorry but for $10, you can get an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet and leave super full. :P

So which are you? A Steakhouse guy or a Diner across the street guy? Didn't figure that one out. ;)

Are you looking for the taste and quality, or the full and happy?

Dang, I'm gettin hungry now. Off to the steakhouse..... :)

Imma do what you should, not what you could.

However having read what you said, I can admit that analogy did not really make much sense.

Having said that, good thing i'm marinating steak for tonight, I'm hungry too...

Don't forget to take your 50% off coupon.

Or your memory prescription.

Edited by Arteom

Good point James, that would be 50% off right there. :)

I was also including the 50% off coupon Edited by james campbell

I'm in a similar situation, and my main strategy to get the most out of limited channels is to limit colors. I will be using white for all my animation (5 minis and 12 channels of mega spiral) and then adding punch with color sans animation (the whole mega in red, green and blue, or all 5 minis on one channel of red, for instance). Of course, as I add channels, it'll be easy to break the red minis into individual channels, for instance, and animate it colors as well as white. HIH

I'm in a similar situation, and my main strategy to get the most out of limited channels is to limit colors. I will be using white for all my animation (5 minis and 12 channels of mega spiral) and then adding punch with color sans animation (the whole mega in red, green and blue, or all 5 minis on one channel of red, for instance). Of course, as I add channels, it'll be easy to break the red minis into individual channels, for instance, and animate it colors as well as white. HIH

And that sounds like a good plan Shan-man. I bet it will look great. :)

See, this is exactly what i'm talking about! Great plan & Idea, it will look great!

I could only afford one controller as well. I agree that if you try to spread the 16 channels out over too far an area, it may not look ideal. Here's what I'm doing. Sorry I don't have an image handy, I have it stored on my home computer and I'm at work. But here's the concept...

I'm making 8 "mini" trees. I'm using 54" tomato cages, so they're a bit bigger than mini. They'll be in one row, left to right across my front lawn (or right to left if you're right handed... :huh:B) ). From there, if you walk another 30' towards the street, my front lawn becomes a downward slope. On that slope, I'm making a row of Christmas tree shapes using lights. Each of these trees will be made up of 5 strands of 50 incan lights (10' length) spread out in the shape of a tree, with a topper. Imagine a wedge of a mega tree laid flat on the ground and you get the picture. So I'll have 8 channels in a row up top, 8 in a row below. With the sequencing done right, I think it's going to look really cool.

Edited by Klayfish

I am not the best person to answer this question for you. Last year was my first solo show. I put my show together in two weeks from free sequencences. I didn't read one page out of the manual. If you check out some of my last year video, it looks as bootleg as bootleg gets.

But guest what. I had cars lined up, collected over 500 pounds of can goods. And the news came out. At the end of the day we're our worst critic. So with that said if this year is bootleg next year will be even better.

A simple layout going left to right

Slow - 4 on house

Mid - 4 on tree

Fast - 8 mini

• Like 2

I am not the best person to answer this question for you. Last year was my first solo show. I put my show together in two weeks from free sequencences. I didn't read one page out of the manual. If you check out some of my last year video, it looks as bootleg as bootleg gets.

But guest what. I had cars lined up, collected over 500 pounds of can goods. And the news came out. At the end of the day we're our worst critic. So with that said if this year is bootleg next year will be even better.

A simple layout going left to right

Slow - 4 on house

Mid - 4 on tree

Fast - 8 mini

Wow, 500 Pounds of food, did you run some kind of can drive? Cause thats quite the turnout.

All I'm hoping is that some of the locals who drive by or walk by the neighborhood enjoy the show. My neighborhood is, well, no gated community so during Christmas it seems everyone tries to be kinder, and the streets seem more friendly. However every year teens always seem to find something to destroy, once they cut the strands of my lights, stole my candy canes, and then I seen them out the window trying to break a reindeer I ran out pretending I'm on the phone with the police, while taking their pictures and describing their faces. As you can imagine they ran faster than the dust could follow them, and 5 years later, peace and quiet, no trouble in my display... :)

My "plan" started out on 16 channels:

1. ) Upper Eve

2. ) Lower Eve

3. ) Garage Door

4. ) Icicles (both eves and garage door)

5. ) Mega Tree (green)

6. ) Mega Tree (green)

7. ) Mega Tree (green)

8. ) Mega Tree (green)

9 ) Mega Tree (Multi)

10) Mega Tree (Multi)

11) Mega Tree (Multi)

12) Mega Tree (Multi)

13) Net LIght Bush

14) Net LIght Bush

15) Net LIght Bush

16) Reindeer