Light-O-Rama Forums

On channel acting up. I think it's in the controller.

Tom Clapper

Ok I don't know much about these controllers or the electronics in them so I'll put it in my terms. I have on channel acting up on my oldest controller (2010 fully assembled CTB16PC) I have two other controllers purchased in 2011 and they work fine. My problem is that the channel doesn't shut off with the sequencing. I have five singing pumpkins each with a single incandesant c-7 bulb night light. It works along with the sequencing but doesn't turn off right away. Most of my sequencing for them it short on and off, and this one channel will start to turn off but drops to 40-60% and slowly fades to off. Not sure what to do. I have restarted my computer and the show builder. I have also tried different sequences but it still does it on one channel only. Any suggestions? I'm probably gonna switch the controller out for the remainder of my halloween show (I'm only using 2 controllers), but I will need it for my christmas show. Thanks for any info.

First which is it ON or ONE? you use "on" for both. What would happen if you go into the HWU and command that one channel on to 100% and then command it off to 0%? It is still possible that the Triac has gone bad not not sure according to your description of what is wrong. And your positive that it is not a programming issue, right?

Sorry for the typo. I have one channel that is acting up. I first noticed it after changing a sequence, but it is doing it with other sequences that I haven't changed, and it worked fine 2 nights ago. It doesn't stay on all the time, just a few seconds after that channel has been on, and slowly fades to off.

Just for S & G lets try something. Have you done a controller reset? I think you said that you have one of the PC type controllers that the ID is set via HWU. Power off the problem controller and then pull the jumper off of the 20 pin header. Power up for a few seconds and then power it back down. Put the jumper back on the two pins that are down two pins from the top. Test. Did it fix the problem?

Sounds more like a Tirac on that channel is going bad. That's how my Controller #3, Channel 5 was doing at first. Now it is stuck on at 50% intensity, it will still fade up/down, shimmer and do all the other effects, it just won't turn completely off.

So after trying the reset and that doesn't work {it might for a day or two, mine did that too} after a day or two it starts again, I'd be suspecting the Triac is going bad.

Just send in a request to LOR Support for a replacement triac {if you can do the work yourself}, tell them what version board you have, V1 or V2, it'll be marked on the PC board, so they get you the right triac for your controller, on V1 boards the Triacs have the legs bent, on V2 boards the Triacs legs are straight. I have both V1 and V2 board controllers, and it was a V2 straight leg Triac that went bad on mine.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Ok with Halloween on the past schedule I didn't have time to mess with it. I just ended up switching the item to an unused channel. However the day before I swithced it the light stayed on all day long at a lower intensity. I assume that means it is a triac. I'm not sure how to do a controller reset but if it did this now do I even need to waste my time? If it is a triac what is my next step. Send an e-mail to tech support? Also I'm not sure I'm comfortable soldering it in myself so anyone have an idea what the cost would be to send into be repaired? Or anyone know of someone in Nebraska (Omaha area) that could do the repair? Thanks.

Ok with Halloween on the past schedule I didn't have time to mess with it. I just ended up switching the item to an unused channel. However the day before I swithced it the light stayed on all day long at a lower intensity. I assume that means it is a triac. I'm not sure how to do a controller reset but if it did this now do I even need to waste my time? If it is a triac what is my next step. Send an e-mail to tech support? Also I'm not sure I'm comfortable soldering it in myself so anyone have an idea what the cost would be to send into be repaired? Or anyone know of someone in Nebraska (Omaha area) that could do the repair? Thanks.

You would have to contact LOR Support and ask them. Depending on how new your controllers are, there may be no charge for the repair, but I think you may still have to pay the shipping and insurance to send it to LOR. Depending on how many repairs are ahead of you or how difficult your particular repair may be will probably determine the turnaround time. But there would be no way to know that until it was in LOR's facility. At least that's what I'd think, since they have to look at and test the unit to know what needs to be done.

• The one acting up is the oldest of my three. I started in 2010 with 16 channels, and up'd it to 48 last year. I bought this one in fall of 2010. I'll have to get ahold of them pretty quick I imagine.