Light-O-Rama Forums

What the.....

rainyoregonchristmas

The worst thing that can happen while using a ladder is to be on the top ring of a 32 footer and have it start to fall leaving you stranded up the tree. As luck had it, I was able to hook it with my foot before it went to the ground. I know I would have been up the tree for a while because there's no way my 64 year old wife could have put it back up for me........ PS. I bought a harness at a garage sale this summer. But that lift is starting to sound worth it at my age.

Whenever I need to work up on the roof, I also make sure I let people know I am going to be up there (like the neighbors), and bring my cell phone. That way, if I don't check in, or if something happens while I am up there I can count on the neighbors at least looking for my body :)

Guest Don Gillespie

Most house hold ladders are rated for 250 pounds they are called a type 2 ladder, the heavey duty construction ladders (which I have around 30 of them) are rated higher, when you go from the ladder to the roof most people do not extend the ladder high enough, always extend the ladder a couple of rungs higher than you normally would this makes getting up onto the roof easier, and getting down easier, always and I mean always have some one down on the ground holding the ladder when you up or down, the last thing we need to read about is some one falling off a ladder because they we're careless.

Wow! What a great topic about a strong emotion we all have flashed through and will continue in the future. The emotion of wondering what we are doing in this hobby. For me - my wife with our 6 month old baby doesn't appreciate my time away and I catch hell many nights, I also freak out about the ladder heights!, and I also stress a lot about making deadlines or when the show has a missing part when people are watching) I often need to stop and check myself about my main goal is to have fun an enjoyment. The payoff does come when people watch the finished product...

But on ladders: The safety advice here is great. I agree with Don that you need to know your ladder for sure -- I weigh 220lbs and found that many ladders at the local big boxes aren't even rated to my weight level!!! Add tools an equipment and I'm definitely overweight!

I had a co-worker fall off a ladder at 13' and broke his hip and has forever changed his walking style. His doctors said falls at 10ft begin to enter in a zone of serious injury an exponentially increase towards the possibility of death as higher levels are reached. This runs through my mind EVERY time I step on the ladder.

Plus, I am afraid of heights and my new home goes almost up to almost 40' as you can see here. I bought a 28 foot ladder to avoid the temptation to go higher. Also this is my first home were my display is outdoors and get a daily appreciation for you folks in the hard weather regions! I didn't even think about how hard ladder climbing would be for you. Wow. Careful please!!!

The good news about the ladder climbing is that at least I am getting a good workout. (I install everything solo too.) I can't imagine how many times I climbed the ladder by the end of the day, but my body lets me know for a couple of days after that....

Just wondering; I'd like to know about any hints/tricks you guys use for holding tools, zip-ties, etc. that works for you on a ladder but doesn't get in the way of safe balance and climbing. I think I am doing too many one-handed climbs.....

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

Check the load capacity. I don't remember right off the top of my head, but it usually is about 500 lbs.

Now as far as ladder safety, this is what OSHA says.

http://www.osha.gov/..._ladder_qc.html

In my opinion, if your ladder is not the right tool (Height, weight cap.) for the job, buy or rent a different one that will be the right one. If memory serves, a fall from ~12 ft, can be fatal.

Careful. Some ladders have a load limit as low as 200 lbs. maybe even less. Bottom line, take Ron's suggestion and verify the limit.

Edit: I missed Don's post above. Way more knowledgeable than me.

Edited by Aaron Maue

According to an article in Popular Mechanics, these are the top 5 most dangerous tools:

5. Circular Saw;

4. Chain Saw, at ~32,000 injuries per year;

3. Nail Gun, at ~42,000 injuries per year;

2. Table Saw, at ~60,000 recorded injuries each year;

1. Ladder, at ~140,000 injuries per year.