Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB Trouble

T. Bennett

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I purchased a CMB-16D DC Board and made a controller from it. I hooked up my dumb RGB and everything works great in the Hardware Utility. When I move over to sequence editor, that is where I am running into problems. BLUF: Cant get the strip to come on when I run sequence...

This is how I set up:

1) Created a new Animation sequence with 5 channels.

2) Added the RGB channel.

3) On that channel changed the unit ID to 5, (which is what I am using for my DC Board).

4) Added in some color ("on"time) in the sequence.

6) Selected control lights

7) Ran sequence

8) and nothing.....

So what did I miss? This is my third year with LOR, so im pretty versed in the sequence editor, but I am completely new to RGB, so any help would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance....

P.S.

(solid red LED, power running. tests in Hardware Utility work out fine)

+1

What pressure?

tj

having all my stuff ready to go ,,,, I have enough songs need to finish a couple more and I need to finish some up for a friend

Maybe its in the sequencing.... Yes I agree it would be 15 channels total, but Im trying to test it with one strip..... How do you sequence a dumb strip in the SE? Is it considered a RGB Channel? It looks right, where it would be circuits 1,2 and 3 on a unit. How is everyone else setting up dub strips in the SE?

Maybe its in the sequencing.... Yes I agree it would be 15 channels total, but Im trying to test it with one strip..... How do you sequence a dumb strip in the SE? Is it considered a RGB Channel? It looks right, where it would be circuits 1,2 and 3 on a unit. How is everyone else setting up dub strips in the SE?

There's nothing 'magic' about an RGB channel, it's just three underlying channels that are assumed to be red, green, and blue, and so the software can help you with color mixing, etc. In the 'old days' we had to sequence RGB as the three component channels. Some folks using lesser software out there still do it that way.

Since it's working in the hardware utility, it has to be something not configured correctly in the sequence editor...

In the lower right hand corner of the screen, there will be a colored square. Is it red or blue?

Blue, Im going to assume thats the way it should be.... (red is usually bad).....

Also verified that "control lights" is checked, and it is....

Edited by T. Bennett

James,

So right before you replied, I came across this set-up maunal:

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/pdf/RGB%20Channel%20Setup.pdf

I followed it step-by-step and it worked....so I figured out what was wrong but I dont understand it.....

In following the manual step-by-step, I never changed the Unit ID for the RGB channel, so it was defaulted to 1. My DC board is set to unit ID 5. Why then does it work when the unit ID is set to 1, but not 5?

So I tried the sequence you sent me (thanks). It didnt work.....So I checked the unit ID and it was also set to 5. So I changed it to 1, and all is good. I havent gone to the Hardware Utility to rename, (or verify) that the DC board is 5, but I know when I tested it last in HU, is was still 5.

Thoughts....??

James,

So right before you replied, I came across this set-up maunal:

http://www.seasonale...annel Setup.pdf

I followed it step-by-step and it worked....so I figured out what was wrong but I dont understand it.....

In following the manual step-by-step, I never changed the Unit ID for the RGB channel, so it was defaulted to 1. My DC board is set to unit ID 5. Why then does it work when the unit ID is set to 1, but not 5?

So I tried the sequence you sent me (thanks). It didnt work.....So I checked the unit ID and it was also set to 5. So I changed it to 1, and all is good. I havent gone to the Hardware Utility to rename, (or verify) that the DC board is 5, but I know when I tested it last in HU, is was still 5.

Thoughts....??

you have to turn the dail on the dc board,you can't change it in the hu maybe that is what is throwing you a curve

On the dc board it has 2 dials the one on the left should be on 0 and the one on the right should be on 5 to be set to controller 5 if you have it aroun the other way it's set to controller 50

Have you don't that ???

you have to turn the dail on the dc board,you can't change it in the hu maybe that is what is throwing you a curve

+1. Jeez I hope this gets it for you!.

tj

Hey, How about that. I had no idea that you had to set the ID manually (by dial) on the DC Boards. Guess I assumed that one could do it in the HU. Looks like thats the problem....

Thanks for all the help guys, thats what is great about this forum, always learning from smart guys on here....

Geez, when getting a different kind of board. One has to go back to the manual to figure out how to connect to it. And hey what are those two round white things that my other boards dont have. One has to engage a curious mind about things. Just like sex, Wham bam, thank you mam, is to get ones rocks off. Taking your time is more enjoyable. Like looking over your new board. This one aint nothing like your A.C. boards. Get to know it first.

Sorry did not mean to offend anyone with the sexual analogy. But felt it best made my point.

Actually, you -can- set the unit ID with the HU.. but it's temporary.. once you exit the HU, or power cycle the DC board, it defaults back to the dial settings. And no, you cant ask me how I know this ;)

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Actually, you -can- set the unit ID with the HU.. but it's temporary.. once you exit the HU, or power cycle the DC board, it defaults back to the dial settings. And no, you cant ask me how I know this ;)

these are not the droids you are looking for

Geez, when getting a different kind of board. One has to go back to the manual to figure out how to connect to it. And hey what are those two round white things that my other boards dont have. One has to engage a curious mind about things. Just like sex, Wham bam, thank you mam, is to get ones rocks off. Taking your time is more enjoyable. Like looking over your new board. This one aint nothing like your A.C. boards. Get to know it first.

Sorry did not mean to offend anyone with the sexual analogy. But felt it best made my point.

I can not take my time. To many lights to put up.

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am will have to do until Thanksgiving.

these are not the droids you are looking for

Thats what I usually tell everyone who asks about my cellphone..

Edited by TJ Hvasta