Light-O-Rama Forums

Split Auto Startup Supply from Triac Supply in LOR1602W

JeffreyJMoore

My display which consists of many slow fades that are looped uses the first of 3 controllers to hold and start at power-up the stored sequence. In years past with only 2 controllers I used a 4 pole contactor to apply power to all four controller circuits at once. Now this year with 3 controllers and 6 controller circuits I no longer can remove power from all controllers at once. My question has two parts: first, when power is removed from the first controller that has the sequence saved in it, will the other controllers shut down and not turn on any connected lights even though they are still plugged in and powered? Second: Is it possible to split the power that supplies the sequence running electronics from the high current triac electronics in the first controller? If I can split the two sections I can run the sequence electronics with a low power timer, leave the high power electronics plugged in all the time and not worry about adding additional poles to my contactor. Thanks to anyone who can help with my most recent display expansion.

The sequence lasts for 1 hour then loops. The timer allows the sequence to run for the evening then shuts off. When the controller receives power the next night the show starts over again until the timer shuts off. I’m not using a computer to run the show, the show loaded on the first controller and starts when the timer sends power to it. I have the controller set to start the sequence upon power up.

first, when power is removed from the first controller that has the sequence saved in it, will the other controllers shut down and not turn on any connected lights even though they are still plugged in and powered?

Yes. As soon as the signal (from the controller with the standalone sequence) stops, they will turn off all channels. It takes about a second for this to happen. At that time, the LED on those controllers will start flashing as it waits for the signal again.

Is it possible to split the power that supplies the sequence running electronics from the high current triac electronics in the first controller?

It's possible, but not easy. You will have to cut traces on the circuit board, or remove the transformer and mount it externally to the board.