Light-O-Rama Forums

Background tab issue

RayDorman

Hello, all,

I'm not sure if I've possibly stumbled onto a bug or if I'm missing something.

I wanted to park two channels at 10% intensity so I made a one minute sequence with only these channels. I added this sequence into the Background tab of my Show. These channels acted as expected, but some other channels on another unit kept bumping to zero percent intensity and then jumping to full during the Show - not behaving according to the sequence programming. It was completely reliable, restarting the show caused this new behavior. Restarting the software and resetting the controllers did not change anything. I removed the sequence from the Background tab and everything returned to normal.

Is there any sort of known bug with the Background tab?

I am using two CTB16PC units, latest firmware, and LOR 3.7.0.

Thanks, in advance,

Ray

My first read, gut reaction, is that you have those channels used for your background sequence in use somewhere in your main show sequence(s).

Did you add a new sequence to the show recently?

Thanks for the reply, Don.

These channels are not used elsewhere, though I understand why you'd ask. The only new sequence is that which I added to the Background tab. The way I read the documentation, I can't figure out what the difference is between Animation and Background, besides having the option to play sequentially or concurrently in Animation. I'm wondering if I should try the Animation tab and see if that yields the same results.

-Ray

Hmm, ok. So if channels meant for a Background tab sequence are simply in the configuration of a sequence in the Musical tab (but not used) and vice versa... these symptoms are expected? Just trying to get a grasp on it...

Hmm, ok. So if channels meant for a Background tab sequence are simply in the configuration of a sequence in the Musical tab (but not used) and vice versa... these symptoms are expected? Just trying to get a grasp on it...

I ran into this issue last week. Taking the channel assignment out of my musical sequences allowed the background channels to play. To be clear, I didn't turn them on in the musical sequences but it appeared to me that the "off" was overriding the background "on" which made sense after I thought about it more.

OK, that makes sense! I'll hopefully have a chance to give it a shot before work and I'll update to provide followup. Thanks a million.

• 1 month later...

I too experienced this problem with v 3.8 and never had the problem with v 2.9

I turn on my transmitter and sign with a background sequence and noticed that they would turn off and on between the show sequences which was unacceptable, especially for my transmitter.

Before I read the above posts, I reasoned that the other sequences had to be clear on that particular channel but didn't think that just a blank channel would cause the problem.

In my case I had to delete the channels in 13 sequences which was time consuming and in my opinion shouldn't have been necessary.

Thanks to all the folks above that found the solution.

Hopefully, LOR will recognise it as a bug and fix it or supply a batch solution to delete channels for multiple sequences. .

Hopefully, LOR will recognise it as a bug and fix it or supply a batch solution to delete channels for multiple sequences. .

It's not a bug to be fixed. It's a user error. Simply put, if you have two sequences running that both have some particular channel configured (even if it's not turned on), the software does not know which one to use. The result is confusion and largely unpredictable operation. Remember that a channel that is in a sequence and never turned on is OFF. So if it is commanded off in one sequence and on in another, which to believe?

The solution is not to have the same channels in more than one sequence that could operate at the same time.

With the exception of Background running a sequence, I'm unaware of how in the world it's possible to run more than one sequence at a time so I don't normally worry about having the same channel being used by different sequences.

I'm now aware of the limitations of using Background and I would appreciate a link to any explanation or warning of using the same channel in more than one sequence when using Background.

Until there is such an explanation or warning, I still consider this a bug.

Again, this was not a problem in a previous release.

Guest wbottomley

With the exception of Background running a sequence, I'm unaware of how in the world it's possible to run more than one sequence at a time so I don't normally worry about having the same channel being used by different sequences.

I'm now aware of the limitations of using Background and I would appreciate a link to any explanation or warning of using the same channel in more than one sequence when using Background.

Until there is such an explanation or warning, I still consider this a bug.

Again, this was not a problem in a previous release.

Really? I've been using LOR since 1.5.0 and nothing has changed since then. I would read the user manual to learn more about background sequences and members post on the correct way of using them.