Light-O-Rama Forums

Replace 15A Fuse with 15A Breaker?

mytholibar

Greetings, we use LOR's for our daynamic lighting and have run into an issue. Where a light was dislodged and popped a fuse. I'm wondering now since we can't see the fuse status by looking at it and finding a DMM when I in panic mode sucks, Can I replace the Fuse with a Breaker.

What are the Pros/cons for this action?

I've not done it yet but it would simplify my stress if I could just see the button popped out to know something went wrong.

I don't see why you would want to do this, 15A fuses are inexpensive and easy to replace...

Plus breakers are not as quick/ effective as the fuse... not worth the risk im my opinion.

i don't have the answer and some one else might know the right answer but as far as im aware the fuses in the lor controllers are quick blowing (fast reacting)fuses and a breaker would not be

we can't see the fuse status by looking at it and finding a DMM when I in panic mode sucks,

You want to get one or more of these:

525_1c388a0edece273c1829a134a060917718ee858b_original_x_323.jpg

You touch it near both ends of the fuses, and if only 1 end lights, then that is your bad fuse.

i got one like that stephen and there a good bit of kit you can also hold it on any of the cables in or out of the controller to see if there live too

Learn to keep the DMM in A location and put it back when done. Thus no hunting for DMM. I agree breaker is slow and more damage can happen while waiting for the breaker to trip. Not sure but I think it has something to do with the 120V and 15A creating more heat/blast than the 12V 15A fuses. Buy a few cheap neon type of testers that shows when there is 120VAC on the curcuit. Can buy several and have them scattered around the house so you are tripping over them. Just put the leads on the ends of the fuses with power on. If it lights up, fuse is bad.

Greetings, we use LOR's for our daynamic lighting and have run into an issue. Where a light was dislodged and popped a fuse. I'm wondering now since we can't see the fuse status by looking at it and finding a DMM when I in panic mode sucks, Can I replace the Fuse with a Breaker.

What are the Pros/cons for this action?

I've not done it yet but it would simplify my stress if I could just see the button popped out to know something went wrong.

I would suggest strongly you read the pros and cons at this website:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-fuse-and-a-circuit-breaker.htm

It can give you a better understanding of the differences and why you really shouldn't use a Circuit Breaker in an LOR Controller.

No, you don't want to use glass fuses in place of the ceramics.

I have to ask why not. If you use a glass fuse rated for the volts, amps and short circuit what's the foul? I know ceramics have some better qualities as far as rupturing the case goes. I wonder what guideline you are using. From an NEC stand point, I think glass is OK. I am not familiar with any UL type standards for control wiring which might come into play. For myself, I have reduce most of my fuses to 4 or 5 amp glass fuses as I run all LEDs and am very comfortable with my decision.

My knowledge of glass fuses is limited, but I think this falls under the glass fuses are good, ceramic is better. I look forward to anyone providing further info on this.

Steve

I have to ask why not. If you use a glass fuse rated for the volts, amps and short circuit what's the foul? I know ceramics have some better qualities as far as rupturing the case goes. I wonder what guideline you are using. From an NEC stand point, I think glass is OK. I am not familiar with any UL type standards for control wiring which might come into play. For myself, I have reduce most of my fuses to 4 or 5 amp glass fuses as I run all LEDs and am very comfortable with my decision.

My knowledge of glass fuses is limited, but I think this falls under the glass fuses are good, ceramic is better. I look forward to anyone providing further info on this.

Steve

Not saying there is any kind of UL reason for it. I'm in agreement with your statement My knowledge of ...I think this falls under the glass fuses are good, ceramic is better.

The shatter characteristic would be the reason i would stick with ceramic, as recommended by LOR.

But..if someone wants to go with glass, its not like their controller will stop working (until they do blow a fuse..and replace it).

I have to ask why not. If you use a glass fuse rated for the volts, amps and short circuit what's the foul?

What bears repeating from that other thread is that when a glass fuse blows, the metal vaporizes and can coat the inside glass surface, providing a path for further conduction. This does not normally happen at lower voltages, which is why glass fuses are more commonly used on 12v circuits.

On the original fuse vs circuit breaker topic, the circuit breakers in your house protect the wires from overheating from excessive current. It takes several seconds for a 12-gauge wire to heat, thus the slower speed of a circuit breaker is acceptable. On the other hand, the fuses in the controllers attempt to protect the triacs, which can overheat in milliseconds, thus the fast speed of a fuse is important.