Light-O-Rama Forums
Rickbj

I want the same volume for all the music

Rickbj    8

Hi Everyone,

One of the frustrating problems I had was the fact that the music I purchased on-line for the music sequences seemed to have a different volume for each song. When playing the sequences some of the volume was too low or too high. I checked Audacity to see if that could adjust the volume of the individual songs, but it would only adjust what you heard through Audacity but would NOT change the volume of the MP3 file in your computer. Thus when you played the song through LOR, the original volume was used.

I did find some software that actually does change the volume of the MP3 file on the computer, and it is freeware - no charge.

I copied all my music files in the Audio folder of Light-O-Rama to a back-up folder. I then used this software and treated all my LOR music files as an 'album'. The software then went through and analyzed all the music and showed a graphic by song of the differences within the 'album'. I then continued and had the software process all the music so that all the songs were similar in volume.

The software worked perfectly showing a consistant volume throughout the 'album'.

I then opened the individual sequences and checked each one. It worked perfectly.

I recommend this software to anyone who has the same problem with differing volumes in the LOR sequences and shows. The software is called MP3Gain and can be found here:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Check it out, read the web site and see if it is something you could use.

• Like 4

Don    249

another newbie reinventing the wheel.

How so?

Orville    191

How so?

Because most of us here have been using and recommending that same program, MP3Gain for several years now, along with instruction on how to use it and what it does. So I can understand why Earl stated that, because if someone would search the forums, they'd probably find a lot of posts on that program alone. Right alongside another program I use called MP3Tag located here: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

That allows you to edit or add the missing info {Song Name, Artistm Album Name, etc.} within an MP3 file, and it's free too. I use it to correct MP3 files that a DC-MP3 Showtime Director has issues with. As sometimes when an MP3 is changed, the MP3 tag gets changed and I've had some strange symbols and characters show up in the MP3 song name, and an MP3 Director unit usually won't play a file as it thinks it has become corrupt due to these symbols/special characters. Go in, edit the tag, change the name and other info, save and now a working MP3 file for an M3 Director if you use them. If using a PC, seems they don't need to be changed, only the MP3 Directors have an issue with this. But I change mine either way.

Figured since MP3Gain was reposted, may as well post another useful program, MP3Tag, that some of us may also use here as well.

Don    249

because if someone would search the forums, they'd probably find a lot of posts on that program alone.

There are search engines on the internet other than the one on this forum. So a new person finds a program that's useful and wants to share it. That's a good thing.

Besides, no matter how much improved the search engine is on this forum software (compared to the old software) people won't always use it. If people are going to things that are helpful to others, we shouldn't be giving them a hard time about it. If we do, then they stop posting and sharing what they've learned.

Rick,

Thanks for posting it. I'm sure many new folks will find the program useful.

• Like 4

I don't think I am giving anyone a hard time when that very subject was brought up and answered in the " LOR Software-General" section on 10/12/12 titled "low volume on one of my sequences" by Abaspiped. Some people just need to READ.

Earle

• Like 2

Orville    191

There are search engines on the internet other than the one on this forum. So a new person finds a program that's useful and wants to share it. That's a good thing.

Besides, no matter how much improved the search engine is on this forum software (compared to the old software) people won't always use it. If people are going to things that are helpful to others, we shouldn't be giving them a hard time about it. If we do, then they stop posting and sharing what they've learned.

Rick,

Thanks for posting it. I'm sure many new folks will find the program useful.

My post was not directed at giving anyone a hard time at all. And that's why I added the MP3 Tag software url along with info about it within my post, because it is also a very useful tool/program.

I know the search engine here isn't always perfect, but just saying, if folks would try using it for looking up a program name, it is and usually has been a bit reliable in directing one to those posts about it. If the search is vague, then the answers will also be vague, but I've had a lot of success finding stuff I was looking for on the forums using it's own search engine if using a specific program or item name for the search.

Santas Helper    814

And to think someone (second post on this thread) benefitted from the OP already.

The wording of topics makes a difference as to how someone might interoperate it and think it might or might not apply to them. Many threads have the same answer but the title might be different. I'm with Don on this one.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

DownTown    12

Come on, Earle, some people don't have all day to scour every message in every forum like you do. He posted an informative message that serves a good purpose. Maybe it will come up one day when someone searches how to normalize their songs... Give the guy a break! He's trying to help. You know what mama used to say... if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

D.T.

• Like 1

Don    249

It is that time of year when we see an influx of newbies to the hobby. In a perfect world they'd all read the documentation, search for the forums and figure it out for themselves. That's not the case though. People are going to ask the same questions again and again. They'll post the same information over and over. It happens every year. Some of those newbies decide it is not the hobby they want to do.

Others, though, get into it and are soon drowning in channels and lights. They'll be planning their 2013 or 2014 display next month while they are setting up for their first display. They'll be here on the forums to learn more about the hobby, and share with the new crop of newbies coming in next year. The best part? They'll get to see the same questions over and over with us next year.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone here, but trying to point out that it doesn't do the hobby and the LOR community any good to give the newbies a hard time. Just doesn't. If you know the answer, and have a free moment, answer the question and welcome them to the hobby. If they've asked the same question that someone else posted 20 minutes ago and it bothers you, just don't answer.

Carson Williams, Richard Holdman and Kevin Judd (cracker) were all new to the hobby once. I'm sure they asked someone, somewhere, a question that might be considered basic, and probably could have been gotten from a manual. (I even asked Dan once if I could use LED's on the controllers.) However, someone answered their question and the rest is history.

• Like 4

OK , I'll let go, from now on no one should read the forum before asking questions. Just keep asking the same questions day after day. The answers won't change they will just be restated. So sorry I hurt your feelings.

Earle

• Like 2

Guest Don Gillespie   
Guest Don Gillespie

OK , I'll let go, from now on no one should read the forum before asking questions. Just keep asking the same questions day after day. The answers won't change they will just be restated. So sorry I hurt your feelings.

Earle

I am out of likes for today so for the record Earl here is my like ;)

• Like 1

rwertz    21

Hi Everyone,

...I copied all my music files in the Audio folder of Light-O-Rama to a back-up folder. I then used this software and treated all my LOR music files as an 'album'. The software then went through and analyzed all the music and showed a graphic by song of the differences within the 'album'. I then continued and had the software process all the music so that all the songs were similar in volume.

The software worked perfectly showing a consistant volume throughout the 'album'.

I then opened the individual sequences and checked each one. It worked perfectly.

I recommend this software to anyone who has the same problem with differing volumes in the LOR sequences and shows. The software is called MP3Gain and can be found here:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Check it out, read the web site and see if it is something you could use.

I guess you’ve figured out a lot of use MP3Gain by now :)

I’ve always used Track Gain rather than Album Gain on my show songs. Based on the help file definition, Track Gain sounded like the best way to go:

Track mode volume - Corrects a mix of unrelated songs to a selected level.

Album mode volume - Corrects a collection of related songs. The overall volume of the album is adjusted to the Target Volume.

• Like 1

Santas Helper    814

Earle

So I guess this proves it. Only a select few of newbies ask questions?

We all start as newbies and ask questions that have ALREADY been asked at least once before we joined.

Edit: AND this thread wasn't even started with a "question". He was stating a find and shared with others!!!

Edited by Santas Helper

Rickbj    8

Hi Everyone,

I did search the forums looking for an answer to my volume problems and I did not see any of the hundreds of returns to my searches relating to my problem. Sorry if some of you 'old timers' took offense to my post - I was only trying to help other newbies after I spent hours searching for some software to fix my problem. I dread the thought of some of the responses I might have gotten if I had asked if anyone had the same problem and what they had done to fix their problem. Possibly I could take some classes on how to frame a search of the forums to get back a reasonable number of returns to my query or read through hundreds of query returns for the answer.

To those of you that this post did help, I'm glad to provide the information. To those of you that think 'newbies' should just sit down and be quiet and just do what they are told,

another newbie reinventing the wheel.

well, I respectfully disagree.

Thanks,

Rick

• Like 4

AlanD    1

I just wanted to say thanks to Rickbj. I too was having problems with audio levels until today. I had searched the forums with no luck. He is correct that if you don't find the correct term or key word you miss the answer you need. A board for a reasonably hi-tech device with little in common with every day devices is by nature going to have a lot more repetative questions which may iratate some who do this day after day. The explosion of youtube and the popularity of some over the top (you guys know who you are) displays haves added many new members such as my self with a steep learning curve. Thanks to all who are willing to help.

https://vimeo.com/51193558

jollyjill    1

I appreciate this thread and question. A few weeks ago I searched this site for this same thing and I was unable to find the information. Obviously, I didn't search the right words. So thank you for asking the question and thank you to those who answered with helpful Information.

Since I seem to be catching hell for this one, I don't see anyone offering any futher help on problems that the newbies are are bound to run into with their music files. If you haven't ask, or no one has told you about the program AUDACITY you should do a search on it and read about all the great things that it does, it will save you a lot of time and problems. So now let the questions begin.

• Like 1

Surfing4Dough    191

Hi Everyone,

I did search the forums looking for an answer to my volume problems and I did not see any of the hundreds of returns to my searches relating to my problem. Sorry if some of you 'old timers' took offense to my post - I was only trying to help other newbies after I spent hours searching for some software to fix my problem. I dread the thought of some of the responses I might have gotten if I had asked if anyone had the same problem and what they had done to fix their problem. Possibly I could take some classes on how to frame a search of the forums to get back a reasonable number of returns to my query or read through hundreds of query returns for the answer.

The number one thing that "newbies" need to learn is to stop using the forum search function. It is pretty close to worthless (the previous forum search WAS worthless). You learn this one thing, and probably 90% of the rest of your questions will be taken care of.

Use google to search these forums. I think some obvious terms that one would search using your original dilemma would be "mp3 volume".

Therefore enter the following into google:

forums.lightorama.com mp3 volume

(linked here for the lazy: http://tinyurl.com/brmvov3)

Low and behold, the first 5 results all discuss the problem you are having and amazingly all 5 discuss Mp3gain (and some Audacity too). Nearly identical results would be obtained if searching for "song volume" (again, not tricky search terms) -- 3 of the top 4 results with the same answer.

So this is the easy way to find what you are looking for (whether a newbie or oldie) -- finds relevant results quick, no hours wasted searching, no re-inventing the wheel, no wasting of the seasoned oldies time, no feelings hurt, no defensive back-handed bullying by site admins needed, faster rise up the steep learning curve, better looking displays, and overall more efficient and effective for everybody.

"Give a man a fish and he won't starve for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he won't starve for his entire life."

Edited by Surfing4Dough
  • Like 7

Linda    5

Rick thank you for your post. I have audacity installed but never really learned how to use it. After reading your post I installed mp3 gain. It's a simple little program and I love it! :wub:

Tim Fischer    194

"Give a man a fish and he won't starve for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he won't starve for his entire life."

True, but he's going to be darned sick of fish after awhile.

• Like 1