Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling your show with Droid or iPhone MIIP

ItsMeBobO

Finally put a little introduction to MIIP into video. This is the third season for this application which allows your drive by guests to control the show from their smart phone or iPad. This is presented to the guests as a web page with your list songs. You can customize your Display name, guest messages, background and some other items.

http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2012/miipIntroduction.wmv

If you want to sign up, please send me an email. itsmebobo at yahoo.com

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dougd

• ItsMeBobO

• l0chte

• alchrisr01

I was asked about this privately today. The video failed to mention that MIIP fully supports RDS file creation. You dont need to write any batch files to send the currently playing song and artist to your RDS transmitter. If you want a special message for an announcement you can do that too.

Tonight I uploaded upgrades to MIIP handling of multiple announcements. They will no longer play consecutively. It attempts to put a least one song between messages if there are more than one in your show.

So if you have one repeating every 20 min and another every 15.. they will eventually try to play at the same time. If there already is a message at the 20 min mark... miip will skip over one song and try again until 50% over. Finally it will play the message at the 30min mark even if its next to another message.

Bob, just so I am clear, I put the following line in all my sequences as long as I am using s3?

miip.cmd %SEQUENCE_FILENAME_NO_EXT%

Looking forward to finally trying out this program. I sure hope my visitors use it.

Doug

Yes that is right.. The place where MIIP.CMD is must have rights to execute. MIIP.CMD can be in LOR folder or With your data and any folder in your path.

Bob,

A few more questions:

Does the Miip client need to be running on the machine that is controlling the lights?

Does the show always start in aphabetical order? Assuming that no one uses the program in a given night is that the order the show will play?

Bob,

A few more questions:

Does the Miip client need to be running on the machine that is controlling the lights?

Does the show always start in aphabetical order? Assuming that no one uses the program in a given night is that the order the show will play?

Yes, MIIP client program must be running on the show computer which has internet access. This program connects to the miip server and pulls the votes to determine which song to play next. It also reports to the server when a song starts.

No, the songs will never play in alpha order. They play in a rotation based on how long ago each has played. The song played longest ago plays next. Unless a guest vote asks to hear it sooner. Once the voted for song plays, it becomes the song played longest ago so it is now at the bottom of the list. If a new song or all songs have never been played while miip is active, the default is based on the order in which you entered the songs into miip.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, can you tell me the chain of events that should happen when this works correctly. I did my first test run tonight and it did not seem to work correctly. When I did the verify the only dilemma I seen was the miip.cmd file was set to c:\program files\lightorama, not sure when using windows 7 if programs can access that folder. I will do some more testing tomorrow night. Should I see the command run when a song starts?

Doug

You missed a really important part. You need to have the windows command in every song. MIIP.CMD %SEQUENCE_FILENAME_NO_EXT%

This runs a batch file MIIP.CMD with the name of the sequence as a parameter. This bat communicates with the server. You have have to open each lms in SE and paste in the above.

There is a short cut to do it if you want to risk using notepad and changing the XML.

FYI when you 'verify setup' there is a little check box labeled Upload. If this is checked the results of the verify shown to you are sent to me. It will tell you what is missing in your setup.

I did add that to all my sequences. At lunch today I am going to try some things again. I think I did have the upload button checked. Does that file indicate that I didn't add that command to my files?

None of the sequences have a windows command. Did you move them between computers? You must also move the cmdmap.lcm file which contains the commands.

They all have this Error message Missing %SEQUENCE_FILENAME_NO_EXT%, missing MIIP.CMD

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Bob,

Do I need to fix "song duration not correct" errors? I am fixing all of my other problems right now. That verify button is a real helpful tool once I understood it.

Fix song duration only if you want MIIP to work properly ! :rolleyes: Did you use the 'upload' button to get the songs loaded? Seems like you did. This should be pulling the seconds from the sequence.

A few seconds should not matter. Sometimes people have a sequence which is longer or shorter than the audio file. The duration MIIP wants to know is how long the song plays. This is required to know what to display on the web page. It tells you the exact time a song will play to the second.

Also MIIP needs to know when to poll for votes on a song to determine which to play next. It polls just before the song is finished. If the song ends before MIIP polls the server...the song with most votes will not play next... the song with most votes last poll will play instead. If the song runs longer than MIIP expects, votes for the next song will not be counted until the next song plays. But if you have it just right.. a voting guest can pick a song 15 seconds before the end of the playing song and hear it next up.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Got this working correctly this evening, thanks for your help Bob. This is going to be an awesome tool, even if no one else uses it I will.

I hope to set this up tonight, I just opened the program and it asked about an update but it failed download. Might be because I'm at school atm but I should have time to work with it all when I get home. I'm excited to get this working, people think having a radio station is cool, can't imagine what they will think when they see this. Ha!