Light-O-Rama Forums

Snowfall / Meteor Light tubes from China, $15.99/ Free Shipping!?!

Arteom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30CM-8-Tube-160-LED-White-Mini-Snowfall-Meteor-LED-Lights-Wedding-Outdoor-2-/290686730860?_trksid=e17000.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D6%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2704851081203798632&_qi=RTM759770

I ordered two sets of these... I seen them and immediately was like wow $15 bucks and ordered them without getting informed first... :/

I'm wondering if anyone here purchased these before, and what was your reaction?

They look pretty nifty if you ask me, without the ridiculous Gemmy Prices.

Let us know how it works out for you, as I read the description you could be getting just a single tube, hope that's just a language translation issue.

Let us know how it works out for you, as I read the description you could be getting just a single tube, hope that's just a language translation issue.

I believe you are 100% correct. Just getting one tube.

"Package Included:

1 x Meteor LED Light Tube White"

I think you will get one string of 8 tubes.1 piece of 8 tubes.

It is 8, the title says it's an 8 tube 160 LED light... one single tube only has 20 LED's x 8 Tubes = 160 total LED's (watch mike come along and prove me wrong somehow ^_^)

Plus look at the picture, see how all 8 tubes are connected with a single piece of wire, there are no connectors, meaning it has to be a set.

Also notice it says 7W for power, i'm sure 20 tiny LED's don't rack up 7W of power... even if they all came on at once.

You can create some cool effects depending on how they fire at power up. Some fire all at once and then get random after a few drips, some fire in sequence. If you seperate the ones that fire at the same time, you can make various types of bursts with using only one channel per burst. Adding wire between tubes gives you better placement up in trees.

Do a search on Danburst for burst ideas using similar tubes.

I bought 8 of these. 4 white and 4 blue. each one has 8 tubes. you can daisy chain them together. They have 2 pin connectors at both ends of the string, one male,one female.

I have tied 4 of them together. I plugged them in a few weeks ago, they are still running fine.

The only issue is the tops snap on but are not watertight. I took epoxy and went and sealed all of the tops.

i will hang all 64 tubes in my front tree. we will see how it survives the winter.

when you power them on the snowfall sequence all starts exactly the same. in a few seconds they start staggering and pretty soon (in a few minutes) they are very random.

thanks

when you power them on the snowfall sequence all starts exactly the same. in a few seconds they start staggering and pretty soon (in a few minutes) they are very random.

thanks

I will have about 70 tubes up in my trees and they start the same way. If you time the ontime just right for a single drip, you can have the sky falling to the beat of the music. I have a dozen hangging in my lab for testing.

Edited by scubado

You can create some cool effects depending on how they fire at power up. Some fire all at once and then get random after a few drips, some fire in sequence. If you separate the ones that fire at the same time, you can make various types of bursts with using only one channel per burst. Adding wire between tubes gives you better placement up in trees.

Do a search on Danburst for burst ideas using similar tubes.

I'm sure the multi ones would look awesome as a firework/ burst effect on the wall w/o the need for many channels or a DMX controller, plus for $15 bucks can't be beat... I'll let everyone know how they look/ work when they get here.

I will add more wire in between the lights, I have around a 80' house tim that I want to switch from multi incandescents icicles (I don't really like the multi) to cool white LED's this year and use the drips to compliment them... if i like them, I'll get some for the trees or burst effects the next season.

I contacted the seller for the LED's and asked this...

Dear h********k,

Hello, I just purchased two sets of these Snowfall lights, they look nice, but I want to use them outside on the roof line... I heard many people say water gets inside them and they break is this true?

- a**************n

This is the response I received...

Dear a*****************n,

Thank you for your contacitng

You'd better do not use it in the rainy day .

Any question you can contact us again

sincerley

s*****e

- h***********k

Edited by Arteom

I used several strings from Minions Web last year, did not seal them, had no issues whatsoever with water intrusion. Sealing them, however, cannot hurt.

They look very cool hung in among icicle lights, the ones I had reached a random drip pattern within a few seconds.

Was originally going to use a DC board and eliminate their power supply, but instead just used an AC channel.

And only on/off sequencing for those channels with these connected, of course.

Can anyone tell me it these have led's on one side are two? If they are one sided does that make it difficult in mounting in the trees?

Ralph

Can anyone tell me it these have led's on one side are two? If they are one sided does that make it difficult in mounting in the trees?

Ralph

I believe its a single line of LED's that can be visible from both/all sides

Ill give you guys some pictures when they come....

Edited by Arteom

From the picture, you can see 20 LEDs on one tube, so looks like one sided.

Minions web, and others (CDI), are 2 sided, which is part of the reason their prices are significantly higher (besides the fact they are the retailer).

Based on last years experience, glad I got the two-sided.

From the picture, you can see 20 LEDs on one tube, so looks like one sided.

Minions web, and others (CDI), are 2 sided, which is part of the reason their prices are significantly higher (besides the fact they are the retailer).

Based on last years experience, glad I got the two-sided.

I'm pretty sure these are two sided as well... Ill let you all know as soon as I get them in the mail!

To me it looks like the board has rectangular cut-outs with the LEDs mounted in that space. This would make the LEDs visible from both sides.

To me it looks like the board has rectangular cut-outs with the LEDs mounted in that space. This would make the LEDs visible from both sides.

Exactly! +1

The "meteor light tubes/snowfall tubes" for $15.99 are 30CM long(11.8") with 160 LEDs in 8 tubes.

As I was searching on eBay for the above mentioned LED's I came across this posting---> LINK

These are 50CM long(19.68") with 250 LEDs in an 8 tube set for $45.58 ($4.99 shipping to US)

Just a FYI guys, I don't know this company nor have I done business with them. They do indicate delivery by the end of OCT(assuming u order now)