Light-O-Rama Forums

unable to see controller in Hardware

ToddH

I just finished building 2 new controllers. Just updated my software to 3.7. Never used it before on this laptop. I have all the files, folders, the works synchronized with my main pc. All lights are on the controllers solid. When playing the sequences all lights work, a tad are out of order but that I think is my issue to resolve, however when running the hardware to test the channels its only finding 1 unit....

Todd

Todd, if all your lights work (as you stated), you shouldn't even worry about the HU. Run with it.

Why are you testing channels when they work?

Edited by Santas Helper

Todd, if all your lights work (as you stated), you shouldn't even worry about the HU. Run with it.

Why are you testing channels when they work?

Because on the 2nd controller its keeping lights on that are not set to stay on, in the sequence they are correct and from the looks of it, its assigned the right channel on the right controller and I just went outside and verified that as well but when the seq is playing random lights stay on/off that are not in the sequence. I figured if I could see the board in the hardware utility I could see where the issue is..I been in a server room all day lookin at freakin watchguard syslogs so my heads in a cloud...so I am done for tonight but please offer up suggestions as tomorrows another day! :)

And Don, I dont believe I changed any IDs..At least I can't recall atm....I just powered both down for the night...but again, please offer up some suggestions...I havent even hooked up the 3rd controller yet as I have to finish installing the powercords but now I am concerned that I will run into issues with that one...clearly I am missing a simple step I think...

Syslog ... :wacko:

If you haven't changed the address of the controllers, then it's entirely possible that they are set to the same address (01), which could be the source of the problem.

If you got the "Complete" PC boards (the ones where you attach power cords, but the board is already built into the enclosure) then they default to an address of 01. If you soldered them, then I don't know what the default it, but I'd hazard a guess it's 01 as well. Either way, I would check the controller addressing.

Syslog ... :wacko:

If you haven't changed the address of the controllers, then it's entirely possible that they are set to the same address (01), which could be the source of the problem.

If you got the "Complete" PC boards (the ones where you attach power cords, but the board is already built into the enclosure) then they default to an address of 01. If you soldered them, then I don't know what the default it, but I'd hazard a guess it's 01 as well. Either way, I would check the controller addressing.

Yeah syslog files....and to top it, i was looking at successfull connections :/ have to pin point an IP for a client that believes someone used someone elses info to do some no no's in the payroll :/

All my boards are the kits, I built them all. so If I am understanding this correctly, from what you and WB are saying. I should connect 1 controller 1st, and do a search to find it. Once found connect the 2nd controller and refresh and it should find that one as well? DO you think this is also the reasoning for the seq not working correctly on the 2nd controller?

TO all of the newbies and some of the new guys that only have a year under your belt. You need to connect one controller at a time and confirm and set the address of each controller. Many of you new people do not seem to understand. You need to confirm the address of your controllers and need to set the address to new controllers ONE controller at a time. Otherwise you might have more physical controllers than the number of controllers listed via the hardware utility will show.

How can I change the address of the controllers if they were set by me by mistake or by me not paying attention. There a way to wipe them?

TO all of the newbies and some of the new guys that only have a year under your belt. You need to connect one controller at a time and confirm and set the address of each controller. Many of you new people do not seem to understand. You need to confirm the address of your controllers and need to set the address to new controllers ONE controller at a time. Otherwise you might have more physical controllers than the number of controllers listed via the hardware utility will show.

Ya know what Max...I think I remember reading that a while back when I decided to purchase more but I had so much going on this past year that I waited till the last minute to set everything up and was excited tonight that I finished building the enclosure for the boxes and I am down to only a few more things to set up that I just plugged both of them in tonight not thinking about it clearly. all I can think about right now is 127.0.0.0

There's no place like 127.0.0.0

You don't have to "wipe" the controller IDs, just hook one and only one controller up and set it's ID. By setting the ID you "overwrite" the existing ID. Disconnect that one and hook up the next and set its' ID, continue until all IDs have been set to what you want.

:lol: I can just imagine Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz saying "There's no place like 127.0.0.0". Had me for a minute till I remembered what 127.0.0.0 is again. BTW love your avatar, it is so me (Buckey). Edited by Max-Paul

Thanks all for your response and patience. I know I should have thought this out more clearly but was in a fog last night and clearly didn't.

I, like the rest of you work a FT job...things just been insane at work and been really mentally challenging to the point of opening up the books again..... and for those of you who dont know what 127.0.0.0 is, its called a loopback, or start over, or home ;) its an IT thing. But again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I don't know yet, won't be able to check it till after work today. I am sure it will work fine, cause that Is a step that i def did not do. I just connected both at the same time. I just hope that its also the reason that the channels were turning on lights that were not set to be on when I tested last night...

And Pete, I still need you to come over to help me out with arches...I started wrapping the sleeves but got some questions on the setup and some on the sequenceing...you free this weekend, Saturday or Sunday would work better for me...but you let me know.

If you soldered them, then I don't know what the default it, but I'd hazard a guess it's 01 as well.

Newly-built boards without switches default to "no ID", meaning you can't control any lights with them until you set their ID.

...just hook one and only one controller up and set it's ID.

You don't have to disconnect other controllers that already have IDs set. Use the "Set New Unit ID" box. This will change only the controller that doesn't yet have an ID. It will leave the other boards alone. This is useful if you already have your display set up and you add a new controller in the field. You can assign its ID without affecting other controllers.

Ok, this has me thinking some more about this. Maybe I am over thinking this issue also. Sounds like you might have(?) had both controllers hooked up and powered up. Then you went into the HWU and set the address to both of them to h01 (remember this is all hexadecimal to the best of my knowledge). And so both boards accepted this new address and when you do a refresh of the list of controllers you are only seeing one of them or should I say both of them. To clear this mess up I would do this. Take the controller that is going to be h01 and have it on the comm cable and power it up. Do a refresh, did it show up and h01? If so, power down and disconnect. Connect the other box and power up. Do a refresh. Did it also come up as h01? If so, then you want to use the change address section to the left side of window. I believe it ask for the old and new addresses. Supply the 01 as old and new as what ever you want it to be if you have the advanced software lic. Otherwise keep it below the top address allowed with the other two lic. If your updated address worked and you do a refresh you should now be able to see you have a controller at the new address. Re-install the first controller and refresh. Now should see two controllers with the proper addresses. Retest your seq. Hopefully both should blink per programming. Good Luck.

It was exactly that Max. I had them both conneced and powered up when I did the HWU so it showed both as one controller. I was able to resolve this by the suggestions of others. I just connected one, assigned it an ID, disconnected that one, connnecte the 2nd and assigned it ID2 and last night I did the same for controller 3, Ran the seq test and all is good! Thanks again all!!