Light-O-Rama Forums

Contoller Numbers

Kyle Whitaker

Controller numbers start 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 12, etc. Does S3 treat the controllers numbered 0A, 0B, etc differently from the numeric conrollers?

You can set the unit ID on the 10th controller to anything you want. Just keep in mind that the higher the address you use, the longer it will take in the Hardware Utility to refresh the list of attached controllers.

In my display, I number the 16-channel controllers numerically (1-37), the 8-channel controllers run from 0A-1B, and CCDs begin at 2A.

Wow that is a duesy George. So if I have the right, you address your 16 channel controllers numerically 1-37? And your 8 channel controllers in the Hex sub set of OA, OB, OC, OD, 1A and 1B. Then starting at 2A is your CCRs? Interesting addressing scheme.

I was assigning numbers based on where in the yard the controller is in the yard. First year I left some holes for new controllers in the future. Right now I have 1, 2, 3 right up by the house. Then 5, 6, 7, and 8 further out. And OA, OB, near the road. I have added a mega tree with 3 controllers this year and I am doing like George with these 3 in a different group of addresses of 21, 22 and 23.

You guys are much more organized than I. I started with 1-4, then left a gap for the neighbor's house, then guessed wrong about how many controllers I would add, then started putting the DC controllers at 10, then added another network, then added an ELOR...

Now it looks like I just picked random numbers.

I need to change some controller id numbers. I forgot how to do a reset on them. I change the dials but it is not changing the unit ID number. I know there is a way to reset it. I thought it was to put both at 0 the turn on for 30 seconds and then cange to number needed. This did not work. I have one that is set to 1D but shows 15.

Thanks Don C

My controllers were basically assigned in the order I bought them. Over the years they got moved around and so the order makes no sense in the yard anymore. This year I sold off a few controllers and bought a few new ones so I reused some of the old ID's.

I need to change some controller id numbers. I forgot how to do a reset on them. I change the dials but it is not changing the unit ID number. I know there is a way to reset it. I thought it was to put both at 0 the turn on for 30 seconds and then cange to number needed. This did not work. I have one that is set to 1D but shows 15.

Thanks Don C

Don, I am not hearing the full right way of doing this. You might not be saying everything. So, here it is from the top. Ok so you have a controller that has the address dials.

1) with power off, spin both dials to zero.

2) power up for a few seconds.

3) power down and spin dials to desired address.

4) power up.

Hey while writing that, I had an ideal. This is not a brand spanken new controller is it? Even so, new stuff can fail. We have seen some who's address switches have gotten dirty and wont always register new setting correctly. Power down and change the right switch to A, then B and all of the way up to F. Power down each time and note what ID the HWU sees it as. Then just run the right switch from 0-F several times and Then try you 1D again. BTW 1D Hex should read 29 Decimal. Strange that your seeing 15. Is that Hex or decimal? Ya, do the wiper cleaning that I described above for the right switch. If you have any contact cleaner give it a small squirt before and after the twisting of the knob.

Thanks Don C

Sounds like a bad dial on your board. "D" in binary is '1101'. '5' in binary is '0101'. Looks like that upper 'bit' isn't making contact in the dial. Sometimes if you take the dial and gently spin it around half a dozen times or so in each direction will clean the contacts and cure the problem.

If that fails, you could just avoid setting that board to any unit ID that ends in the rightmost digit being greater than 7...

Edited by Tim Fischer

Thanks Max Paul. I tried everything you suggested and it still came up bad.1a=1a 1b=13 1c=14 1d=15 1e=16 1f=1f. As Tim Fischer mentioned I spun the dial multiple times and re tired it work now. All is good. I guess it was just dirty

Thanksa everyone I really apprecite it.Good luck with all your displays.

Don C.

Thanks Max Paul. I tried everything you suggested and it still came up bad.1a=1a 1b=13 1c=14 1d=15 1e=16 1f=1f. As Tim Fischer mentioned I spun the dial multiple times and re tired it work now. All is good. I guess it was just dirty

Thanksa everyone I really apprecite it.Good luck with all your displays.

Don C.

Great, glad you got it working.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the controllers care if they are in order? Can I go from 1 to 3 to 2 to 1f to 9 etc?

The Light-O-Rama controllers can be connected in any order you want.

You can connect #1 to #2 or to #42. It won't matter what order the controllers are connected in, just that they are connected to each other.

You know, if you had read my post closely you would have seen me telling you that the wiper on the switch might be dirty. Told you to spin it several times. But thats ok, Tim is a good guy too.

but MP's got better lookin' legs, an' 'es naught 'fraid ta show us either..

I woz an English major, so when it came ta assignin' controller units, th' hex numbers made mah hed ache, so I stuck wit' th' easy numbers, after 9, I went ta 10, then 11, then 12.. skipped roight on past them funny letter-number spots..

• Like 1

Tried that no number/letter assigning of channels ONCE when was setting up the fireworks for the Rose Bowl on New Years Day (using a pyrodigital system) a few years back.. It didn't like it so much. Glad we had a run through before the actual game and fireworks.

but MP's got better lookin' legs, an' 'es naught 'fraid ta show us either..

I woz an English major, so when it came ta assignin' controller units, th' hex numbers made mah hed ache, so I stuck wit' th' easy numbers, after 9, I went ta 10, then 11, then 12.. skipped roight on past them funny letter-number spots..

captain jacks been hittin the rum again :huh::wacko::blink:

I don't like dem numbers 8 and 9 since I lost dem two fingers while plundering one of them ships that had a few of her majesty's soldiers on board, and now I can only count to 7. So I stuck wit' th' easy numbers, after 7, I want ta 10, then 12.. skipped roight on past them funny numbers I can't count.