Light-O-Rama Forums

6 CCRs and Network Speed Issues

_Steve

I have 6 CCRs connected through one network. The CCR hardware setting are as suggested in the manuel. Using SuperStar I have set up a scene to have all 6 CCRs fade from white to black over 1 second and exported this to the sequence editor (v3.7.0). When I play this on the sequence editor, the actual CCR ribbons show color errors. Initially, there are columns of non-white colors (approximately 10 over the length of the ribbons) that quickly turn white and then reappear as the white fades to black. Similar errors will occur with other near white colors.

After research, I changed the network speed from 'average' to short range 'faster' with some very slight improvement. Just for fun, I changed the network speed to long range 'slower' and this made the problem significantly worse.

I don't think my network cables are overly long. I have ordered 1 foot network cables for between the controllers just in case since these cables are now in the 4-10 foot range each. My computer has a 1.6 GHz processor, 2GB RAM, running Windows 7... not the newest computer but far from slow. I have also tested this on a Windows 8 Release Preview via Parallels on a MacBook Air (1.7 GHz i5 with 4GB RAM)... same results.

I am using the USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster to create the LOR network. I thought this could handle 6 CCRs at once. Is there a hardware or software setting that I'm missing? Do I need another adapter so that I can set up 2 separate LOR networks?

Any ideas how I can get my whites white?

A fade of all white over 6 CCR's would be 900 channels, 150 per CCR, 50Red, 50 Green, 50 Blue, receiving a command to fade down at the same time. That is a lot of traffic going over the network.

Just thinking out-loud here, but something I would do to troubleshoot is start with 1 CCR connected and run the effect. Do you see any errors there? Then increase the number of CCR's on the network by 1, and run it again. Keep going until you see the problem.

One additional note to add to Don's suggestion. When cutting back to fewer CCR's on the network for troubleshooting, also remove the others from the sequence. Otherwise the commands are still sent out the USB adapter, even if the CCR is not connected.

My guess is that you will end up splitting into 2 networks.

Dave

I had initially noticed color errors in a sequence I was working on for my 6 CCR setup... mainly white or close to white colors. Last year I only had 2 CCRs going and this wasn't an issue. I decided to do the all white -> fade test to maximize the number of channels in use and stress the network. I am also seeing color errors occur with moving images.

Don: When I test only one CCR there is no problem. I start to see the problem occur once 3 CCRs are going and it gradually becomes worse with each additional CCR.

What is the maximum number of channels that can be run reliably on one network? Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can speed up the LOR network? Is anyone else having problems running 6 CCR's on one network?

Update -- So my five new 1ft ethernet patch cables arrived today. Wow did that make a difference! I can still see some irregularities when all 6 CCRs are fading from white, however the original sequence that I was working on works much better. It looks like one of my original ethernet cables is a bad apple.... That's what I get for using a mish-mash of spare cables.

• The topic was locked