Light-O-Rama Forums

Dimming Curves? How to use them?

Greg.Ca

I have approxamately 30 LOR controllers. 8 of them are gen 2 and the rest of them were purchased either last year or this year and are gen 3 controllers. They are all CTB16PC controllers that we partially built by adding the 'power cords' to the enclosures. .

I'm not sure what versions the firmware is but I'm sure tonight I will find out. I have never updated any firmware. I use EXCLUSIVELY LED's and we have over 100,000 LED's.

What I'm trying to do is get my LED's to dim evenly and uniformly. Last year I added 'snubbers' 47K OHM resistors to every channel and that DID certainly work by more uniformly dimming. However If I can 'use' dimming curves to better dim my LED's, I would like to take advantage of that.

I'm not sure what I need to do to get my LED's to dim more linearly. Can taking advantage of these dimming curves help my LED's to dim more evenly? What to I need to do to effectively use the 'dimming curves' so that my LED's dim more evenly? -Do I need to update my version of S3?

Thanks

--Greg--

Guest wbottomley

I have approxamately 30 LOR controllers. 8 of them are gen 2 and the rest of them were purchased either last year or this year and are gen 3 controllers. They are all CTB16PC controllers that we partially built by adding the 'power cords' to the enclosures. .

I'm not sure what versions the firmware is but I'm sure tonight I will find out. I have never updated any firmware. I use EXCLUSIVELY LED's and we have over 100,000 LED's.

What I'm trying to do is get my LED's to dim evenly and uniformly. Last year I added 'snubbers' 47K OHM resistors to every channel and that DID certainly work by more uniformly dimming. However If I can 'use' dimming curves to better dim my LED's, I would like to take advantage of that.

I'm not sure what I need to do to get my LED's to dim more linearly. Can taking advantage of these dimming curves help my LED's to dim more evenly? What to I need to do to effectively use the 'dimming curves' so that my LED's dim more evenly? -Do I need to update my version of S3?

Thanks

--Greg--

Only the Gen 3 type of controllers are able to use dimming curves. As far as the rest, there's no firmware to support that feature. We've been waiting for over a year and nothing has been released yet.

The Smurfs were blue for a reason.

I too have questions about this. I ordered a "back up" controller this year and it just arrived. It is, of course, a Gen 3 controller. The manual talks about how it can handle 8 dimming curves and that the other (only one is pre-loaded) dimming curves can be downloaded. Downloaded from where? Is there a different dimming curve for each color?

Guest wbottomley

Consult the help menu in your sequence editor or click here for the online version. It describes how to do it and where things are.

HINT: where ever your software is installed, look in that directory for another one called Dimming Curves.

I did consult the manual and the help menu. they both say talk about one LED dimming curve being loaded and they both also say Any other curves can be downloaded and updated on the controller. Thus my questions... Downloaded from where? Is there a different dimming curve for each color? Anyone know the answer to these questions? I'm sure I'm not the only one confused.

Dimming curves are accessed thru the Hardware Utility, haven't found a description of the different curves and any differences if any are hard to see on the work bench.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys newbie here..this is just a guess(sorry if im way off..."damn newbies"!) but im thinking the different curves are for different light manufacturers..i have different sets and they all respond a little differently..just a thought although like was mentioned hard to tell on a bench

• 2 weeks later...

I am also waiting for the answer as to "where are the additional dimming curves mentioned?" I plan to send LOR a string of "martha stewert" led lights from Home depot. Good looking lights but snubbers and the 2 available dimming curves don't do it at all.

Chip

We've been patiently waiting for over a year on these types of answers. My guess, it will be next year before anything will be released.

LOR has no intention of releasing dimming curves for older controllers. I just received a reply from the help desk about that.. They say there is not enough horsepower in the old processors. At least know I know for sure.

(sorry for the duplication if someone already said this).