Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Heats Up

Struax87

I have two new controllers that I used for the first time last night. I'm not sure how warm they get or if they are supposed have that eletrical smell to them when something is warm. This is my first experience with these controllers so I not sure if this is normal for them. They seemed to work ok, with the exception of a random light flicker I'm eperiencing between sequences.

Thanks

And so what do you want from us? Is there a problem? We are not mind readers. Tell us what controllers. How are you supplying power. What kind and number of lights per channel. There is so much you are not saying. that we cant comment on anything. Are you a electrician? Or just a light bulb screwer? Right now, I feel like I am replying to a 10 yr old who just described to me what happened when he turned on the light switch to a room.

• Like 1

I guess we all can't be perfect at this. When you don't know to much about this and are just starting you don't really know what amount of information is needed. You really know how to make a person feel welcome. I thought the question was fairly simple. I'm sorry it did not meet your standards. You could have not answered and been as helpful. Thanks for your time.

Remember one thing my friend. Unless it says Admin over the picture. All others are here giving free advice. I will help if I can. But you have to put some effort into your question. I am Sorry I hurt your delicate feelings.

Edit: Its over not under the picture.

Edited by Max-Paul

Actually Struax87, you neither asked a question, nor supplied any information about what you are doing. In order to be able to help you very much, we really need to know at least the following:

- What kind of controllers (DC, ServoDog, Showtime Pro, Residential, etc)

- What are you powering with them (it makes a HUGE difference if you are powering one 50 count string of LEDs vs ten 150W flood lights)

- How are you powering the controllers

- If you are asking software issues, what software and operating system are you using.

Max-Paul really is one of the people who can be counted on here to provide useful information. But you need to do your part.

Struax87:

I'm not perfect either. And I'm sorry about the "welcome" you received. :huh: The way I see your original post, it sounds like you are simply trying to determine if there even IS a problem.

When in use, the controllers will get a little warm. Unless they are uncomfortable to touch, I wouldn't worry too much about it. And I expect a little bit of the "new electronics" smell from any device like this when it is first operated. Keep an eye (finger, nose, whatever) on these two things, but I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over them.

Of more concern would be the "random light flicker" you are experiencing "between sequences." Flicker of lighting elements is NOT normal between sequences. This is where the extra info Max is asking for would be helpful. What software version are you using? What controllers do you have? Does it occur when playing a show, or only between sequences you are playing from the sequence editor? How many channels, and what have you got hooked up? Are you using any CFL bulbs?

Again, I don't know that I have the experience to diagnose the problem. But I'd be willing to bet someone on this Forum does.

Welcome to the LOR Forum and to LightORama. It's always good to have new people aboard.

Edited by Cray Augsburg
  • Like 2

Cray,

The gent didn't even bother to explain what is warm. Did he touch the transformer? Or the heat sink for the voltage regulators. How about the heat sink on the triac or the top of a chip. What does he mean by warm? could he touch it forever or just for a few seconds before he had to release what ever he was touching. Was the electrical smell faint and had to have his nose in the controller or could he see a wisp of smoke?

Like I said, mind reading.

As for the lights flickering. Duh does this not sound like he is turning the lights off at the end of each seq? Not a major issue. I am sorry I was thinking about the heat and smell issue. Which can be much more important, like crispy PCB and chips and resistors.

Edited by Max-Paul

Again, I don't know that I have the experience to diagnose the problem. But I'd be willing to bet someone on this Forum does.

NOBODY on this forum has the experience to answer the OP's question, with the (lack of) information given.

So far all we know is that he's using a "controller", and presumably some form of lighting attached to it. Even when asked for additional information, he didn't respond with it. Things like AC or DC make a HUGE difference here.

Straux87 - if you can provide us with information, many of us here can likely give you accurate advice.

Edited by Tim Fischer

looks like it's that time of year again where everyone gets cranky :P

Edited by james campbell

looks like it's that time of year again where everyone gets cranky :P

I'm not cranky at all, I'm quite happy ;) And I think MP was overly jumpy. But the point that there's not enough info to answer the question still stands, and there's not much point in continuing this thread until the OP comes back and supplies the info requested.

• Like 1

I'm not cranky at all, I'm quite happy ;) And I think MP was overly jumpy. But the point that there's not enough info to answer the question still stands, and there's not much point in continuing this thread until the OP comes back and supplies the info requested.

no names where mentioned,but it is like clockwork around here,folks saying they are leaving and not coming back the annual meltdown if you will,and it always gets intense this time of the year heck I'm feeling the crunch

I'm waiting for a vote as to whether the T,R,O,L,L word is appropriate.

A response chastising the responses but offering no more info... hmmm...

Reminds me of Albany.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 2

Interesting . . .

My intent was to invite the OP to provide more info so that perhaps someone could help him. And I tried to do it in a more welcoming manner than Max-Paul. Not trying to incite anything, but obviously stepped on some toes. (Still scratching my head there.) Sorry.

Bottom line: I want the guy to come back with more specifics and questions, not feeling like he is going to get slammed if he does. I learn from reading the responses given by the more-experienced users, MP included.

Back to winding the sleeves for my arches . . .

Edited by Cray Augsburg

Guest Don Gillespie

I believe the same OP asked another question in a different thread I have to agree with George on this one. MP offered all the advice that was needed, and what was needed was more information to correctly help the OP.

Edited by Don Gillespie

I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my concern of the controller being warm. Like I said before , not knowing to much about the controllers or thie the art of sequencing makes it very difficult to know what is needed for a valued reply. I have two residential controllers CTB16PCg3 with S3 software. I have them set up in my garge with three sing face hooked up. I'm using incadensent rope light for the mouth and eyes. I have seven channels for each face.(approximately 250' of rope light for all three faces. My orginal question was basically how warm do the contollers normally run. I do not know the internal normanclture of the controllers so I can't tell you where the heat is coming from. I just know when I opened the cover it was warm. Hopefully that is the norm. I do have 3 or 4 lights flickering when in between shows at a low intensity. They will flicker even when show is not running. I found a few spots in the sequences where I copied and passed and left ends of fades. Thanks again.

250 feet of rope is a fair number of watts (assuming incandescent rope, not LED). I'd expect the controller to get warm in that case, that's what the heat sinks help with.

I think you're good to go.