Light-O-Rama Forums

how many 100mini lights strings of 0.33 Amps to a channel?

trinidad

Would any of those math figures change if the mega-tree was upside down? The electricity would run downhill in turn take less power.

One time while camping with the parents, mom was complaining about slow electricity. Is that the same?

(Someone tripped on the cord and unplugged the skillet)

One time while camping with the parents, mom was complaining about slow electricity. Is that the same?

(Someone tripped on the cord and unplugged the skillet)

Whoa Mike..I think you are getting a little off here.

How many skillets per channel was your mom trying to use?

More importantly, if you're camping why is she using an electric skillet?

'Fess up...who forgot the matches?

Edited by GaryM
  • Like 1

Whoa Mike..I think you are getting a little off here.

How many skillets per channel was your mom trying to use?

More importantly, if you're camping why is she using an electric skillet?

'Fess up...who forgot the matches?

Most electric skillets (except for the very small ones) use 1000W so not wise to use even one on a channel. I guess you could use the skillet on the lowest intensity setting (but keep your sequence at 100%), and then you could probably use a couple on a single channel, but then it would take too long for the food to cook.

I would suggest using relays for the skillets. Now this opens it up to a kitchen full of skillets, and all under one LOR controller.

Most electric skillets (except for the very small ones) use 1000W so not wise to use even one on a channel. I guess you could use the skillet on the lowest intensity setting (but keep your sequence at 100%), and then you could probably use a couple on a single channel, but then it would take too long for the food to cook.

And thus, we come full circle to slow electricity :)

Actually, the number of skillets required depends on the number of pancake stacks needed.

• Like 1

And thus, we come full circle to slow electricity :)

Actually, the number of skillets required depends on the number of pancake stacks needed.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pancakes :wub:

If I remember my theory correctly, dividing the duty cycle (of the AC wave) in half, does not mean a one-half reduction in amperage consumed.

Interestingly, if the lights were purely resistive, then running at 50% duty cycle would reduce the average current, voltage, and power all by 50%. (Which is not intuitive, since P = V * I, but that's a longer story.)

However, the resistance of the filament of an incandescent lamp increases as its temperature increases, so reducing the duty cycle by 50% will not reduce the average current as much.

Somebody used a meter and graphed out the amperage used for various intensities, and it did go down as intensities were reduced but not by much (something like 50% intensity reduced amperage consumed by about 10%). I am too lazy to look for the old thread though.

Interestingly, if the lights were purely resistive, then running at 50% duty cycle would reduce the average current, voltage, and power all by 50%. (Which is not intuitive, since P = V * I, but that's a longer story.)

However, the resistance of the filament of an incandescent lamp increases as its temperature increases, so reducing the duty cycle by 50% will not reduce the average current as much.

Somebody used a meter and graphed out the amperage used for various intensities, and it did go down as intensities were reduced but not by much (something like 50% intensity reduced amperage consumed by about 10%). I am too lazy to look for the old thread though.

That's what I was thinking, not the Duty cycle stuff. I stand corrected :)

Here were some tests done in the past

Quote from iresq:

I used 4 strings of 100 count mini's. One of the strings is half dead (now were is my light zapper?), so we are talking about 350 minis. Power measured by kill-o-watt.

100% - .98 amps

90% - .96 amps

80% - .94 amps

70% - .91 amps

60% - .88 amps

50% - .83 amps

40% - .77 amps

30% - .69 amps

20% - .59 amps

10% - .48 amps

So with these lights, you need an almost 90% reduction in intensity to half your power draw.

Quote from Randy:

I did a test like this two years ago with 8 strings of Target minis. I used a multimeter to measure the voltage and current when dimming the 8 strings....

"Dim" Experiment using LOR Hardware utility (numbers are for 8 strings):

100% = 2.5 amps @ 117 volts = 293 watts

90% = 2.4 amps @ 110 volts = 264 watts

80% = 2.3 amps @ 102 volts = 235 watts

70% = 2.1 amps @ 91 volts = 191 watts

60% = 1.9 amps @ 79 volts = 150 watts

50% = 1.7 amps @ 65 volts = 111 watts

40% = 1.5 amps @ 51 volts = 77 watts

30% = 1.2 amps @ 36 volts = 43 watts

20% = 1.0 amps @ 24 volts = 24 watts

10% = 0.8 amps @ 11 volts = 9 watts

Quoted from Ernie:

Based on Randy's data:

randysdatavj1.jpg

Edited by Surfing4Dough

Guest Don Gillespie

thats to much information, just plug in as many lights as you have, turn them on, if the breaker doesn't trip pat your self on the back, if it does trip unplug one at a time until you find out the right amount,end of discussion. ;)

• Like 1

thats to much information, just plug in as many lights as you have, turn them on, if the breaker doesn't trip pat your self on the back, if it does trip unplug one at a time until you find out the right amount,end of discussion. ;)

Yes, but once you pour the pancake batter, you have to finish the batch. ;)

+1

Noting your and the 2 people who liked your comments accounts about warranty replacements and additional future charges :P

(That's a joke folks, for those who don't understand my humor)

U guys make toooo much out of these power thinggys...........I have never had a breaker trip or ruin my controller... I just have a simple solution I have 200 sets of 50ct LED lights and 224 channels............dunno if thats right but it sure made Dan smile when he got my order for controllers :P

Edited by gmac

Now what should I do? I was planning on using an electric skillet in my display. Thought it would look cool set on shimmer. You guys always preach NOT to change your display once you design it. Thanks for ruining my Christmas! :P

There is definitely a lot of math involved in this. It's my first time using this stuff, so I'm figuring it all out. The very first thing I bought...a Kill O Watt. That way they'll be no guessing if I'm going to overload something. I'll map everything out as I go and document it, so I've got a starting point for next year.

Edited by Klayfish