Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding DMX controllers and smart pixels where do l start?

Kieren James

Hi everyone

I know this topic has been covered off many times in many other posts, and l have read quite a few of them.

But I'm still not 100% sure of all the facts and steps to get DMX controllers into my display.

I have 12 CCR ribbons, 6 CMB16d DC boards and 4, 16 channel AC boards in my display, and it all runs with the advance s3 software.

It all runs over 4 different networks using the USB485 connector.

Everything works well and l have no troubles with the set up at all.

This year l would like to add some smart RGB pixels and normal RGB pixels to my display, most likely 2801 or 6803 types

Now these run via DMX controllers and that is where all my questions start.

What l know so far is that l,

Have to connect the DMX to a different network if l don't want the LOR controllers running in DMX as well.

I can use another usb 485 connect as my dongle to allow raw DMX to go to these DMX controllers.

I have to make a cross over cable from RJ-45 on the usb 485 to XLR DMX pin connector so l can add the DMX controller to the USB485 connector.

I add a universe in the squencing software via net work perference and set up to the new network as well.

But that's as far as my knowledge goes!

How does the LOR software see the address l give the DMX controllers via their dip switches

Can l have more than one controller per DMX universe if l don't use all 512 channel one one controller?

I can see a field for it the net work peferences screen that allow you to put in an address but you cannot change it.

Do l need another type of DMX dongle? or is the USB485 Ok for this job. I have read conflicting post on this. I have seen other dongle like this one being recommended

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products∏=70304&show=description

Can the following type of DMX controller be used? or is it limited to certain types?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LT-DMX-2801-DMX-SPI-Decoder-support-WS2801-WS2803-drving-IC/701799_509914025.html

Can the following type of pixels be used?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/12mm-WS2801-pixel-module-IP66-DC5V-input-full-color/701799_449802558.html

Has anyone purchased and added any these controllers and pixels to their displays?

Any help would be greatly appreciated to help me out of the information overload forest.

Cheers

Jerome

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a SanDevice E682 and run 2811's off it and I couldn't be happier.

Controller was about $190 and it can control 800 pixels and the strips are about $35 a piece.

Guest wbottomley

I just picked up a SanDevice E682 and run 2811's off it and I couldn't be happier.

Controller was about $190 and it can control 800 pixels and the strips are about $35 a piece.

A smart and cheap way to RGB lighting.

• The topic was locked