Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Early Bird Sale

Guest guest

Guest guest

Anyone with any experience ordering these products from Canada? I'm a little nervous as to what the broker fee's and such will be getting a shipment accross the border.

Guest guest

DStack701 wrote:

Basically what I am trying to do is save some money, but I need the controllers to work properly. So if I need to spend the money to buy the showtime products to ensure that everything will work properly then I will. Right now I am looking to buy 4+ controllers. So thanks for the help and sorry for going on and on.

I've never put together the PC complete package, but I did solder two of the CTB16KS. If you've never soldered before it's probably worth buying the assembled board complete package, since that is the most likely place where something can go wrong. I'm quite familiar with soldering, but even I would probably just buy the pre-soldered boards now. If you're willing to spend a couple hours or less assembling the boxes, go with the assembled board package over the Showtime controllers. It would be very hard to mess up the assembly process if you follow the instructions.

Electricity should be respected, but it doesn't have to be feared. Although, I would strongly recommend putting the boards on a GFI circuit, even though it can be annoying troubleshooting why it got tripped.

Fuses are not for the safety of people, they are for protection of the electronics and indirectly keep people safe by not burning down their house. GFIs are meant to keep someone from being shocked, so they are a must when working with this much amperage in winter weather. But anyway, this isn't an electricity thread.

Good luck with your display. This is a great community here and together with the great LOR people, we won't let you fail. It gets pretty busy here in Nov and Dec and someone will most likely respond within a few hours if you post a help thread. Also, fill out your location in your profile if you can. You may find a few fellow LOR users nearby.

CrazyMike wrote:

Anyone with any experience ordering these products from Canada? I'm a little nervous as to what the broker fee's and such will be getting a shipment accross the border.

PM Zac, I'm sure he could help you.

Michael B

CrazyMike wrote:

CrazyMike, not to worry. I've sent you a PM

DStack701 wrote:

2. What is the difference between the controller that is in the PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE package and the controllers offered in the Showtime Packages, the LOR1602W........As far as I can see they look to be the same except the Showtime products are already assembled and include the software and CAT5 cables.

If money weren't an issue, I'm sure that a lot of us would go with the Showtime Packages, since when they arrive, you just plug them in, and away you go. The controller card itself is a little different physically in the 1602W, but It's essentially the same unit. For comparison purposes:

SHOWTIME: Fully assembled 30 amp deluxe unit (can operate independently or control other units) in a metal enclosure. May be configured for 40 amp usage (read the manual carefully). Install the software & configure the units. $419.95 and EVERYTHING you need comes in the box, with no assembly required.

PLANET CHRISTMAS: Complete 30 amp unit with a pre-assembled circuit board and a plastic enclosure. You must install the board and cables into the box yourself, and purchase the software and network cable/adapter separately ($99.95 if ordered as the Generic Starter Package when you purchase your unit). At current "Early Bird" prices, this is $189.95 for 16 channels plus the software/etc. Regularly $229.95

For a minimum of headaches, I would go with the Showtime version. It comes in a more robust metal enclosure, can be configured for 40 amp usage, and basically costs you around $90 more at regular prices to have the whole works ready to go for you right out of the box. But I would wait until the sale at the end of May to cut down that difference in price even more.

To quote Mary: "Happy Lighting"

Tony

I also recommend starting with a Showtime box. It will save you some potential headaches in getting familiar with the system and then move to hobbiest boxes as you grow your system.

Tim,

Seeing that picture gets me all excited. :waycool:

Have fun putting them together and even more fun when your lights are dancing!:rudolph:

Michael B

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Oh, you have to PAY to PLAY! Not sure how I missed that...never saw any prompts or anything...I just stumbled upon it and all is well now.

I'll stay postive and Christmassy and not, umm, say anything disparaging here...

(And no - I did NOT read any of the fine print prior to/during signup.)*

You do not have to pay to send and receive private messages here on PC. The only thing you have to pay for is access to the "penthouse" forums.

TED

I ordered one of the 02 complete kits just to make sure I can put it together without a problem. Wasn't even aware of the special until yesterday when I saw this thread, so I ordered it around noonish or so on the 10th.

As long as I have no problem putting this together, maybe I'll order a few more.

Once slight issue I was going to have with the upcoming sale was that I'll be on a cruise from May 20 - 25, and internet access is costly and very slow on the ship. Since this is basically all I wanted anyway, this pre-sale helped me out greatly!!!

CrazyMike wrote:

When you order just specify you want postal delivery and you will be able to get away from GST and PST Received my order no problems at all through customs

So I just ordered my first every LOR boards...I have to tell you, I am VERY excited. I had taken a break from sequenceing, but now I am all over it again. This so much fun. Now that I am reading that you guys got yours already...that probabaly means that I will have mine either Monday or Tuesday. Time to get that Cat-5 cable ready....WOW I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Ponddude wrote:

So I just ordered my first every LOR boards...I have to tell you, I am VERY excited. I had taken a break from sequenceing, but now I am all over it again. This so much fun. Now that I am reading that you guys got yours already...that probabaly means that I will have mine either Monday or Tuesday. Time to get that Cat-5 cable ready....WOW I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I remember last year getting my Controller. I was so excited my hand was shaking. I recall thinking what a work of art my controller was. I was awe struck. Have fun, you will remmber this time for a long time.

Michael B