Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Early Bird Sale

Guest guest

I ordered 2 Card Assembled (Complete Package) last night, can't wait to get them. Takes me from 16 channels last year (first year) to 48 now. I was only going to add 16 more this year, money issues of course, but with the sale price, was able to get 2 of them instead of just 1! Love the sale, can't wait to get them and put them together andstat the lights blinking even more then I did last year!

Rob

It's May already, almost time to start stringing the lights again! :laughing:

For those of you that have gotten your complete kits. The one that are already soldered. How long is it taking to put one together? This is for a regular person, not a super electrician. :laughing:

Michael B

Michael, I finished the pre soldered complete kit in about an hour and a half. The included instructions were great, and very easy to follow. My only issue was how crowded the enclosure got as I moved along. By the time I completed the build, I spent a little extra time to make sure all of the wires were routed the way I wanted them, and that all of my channels were correctly lablelled. I also checked that each spade connector was fully seated.

Rob Moore wrote:

Michael, I finished the pre soldered complete kit in about an hour and a half. The included instructions were great, and very easy to follow. My only issue was how crowded the enclosure got as I moved along. By the time I completed the build, I spent a little extra time to make sure all of the wires were routed the way I wanted them, and that all of my channels were correctly lablelled. I also checked that each spade connector was fully seated.

Thanks Rob. I appreciate the good feedback. :]

Enjoy your new toy! :laughing:

Michael B

I am gonna wait for the whole sale I want one more CTB-16D 40 amp board with High Heat sinks this will bring me up to 64 Channels. thats all I can afford this year with the train build? my goal is to get to 128 that will be the limit for me (I Think):smilingelf:

Limit???
Are you kidding?
Theres never a limit.
Somebody will come up with a cool trick you'll want to do that will burn up 1 more channel that you don't have so you'll have to buy just 1 more board........

I'm just telling the truth:laughing:

Michael B wrote:

For those of you that have gotten your complete kits. The one that are already soldered. How long is it taking to put one together? This is for a regular person, not a super electrician. :laughing:

Michael B

If I would to guess, Dan's goal of the complete kit is to make this Jeff Taylor proof. However, the rest of the world knows it by the more popular term 'Idiot Proof' !!!

Currently, it's taken me about 1 hr 20 min to get approximately 2/3 of the way done. Now, I have virtually no experience doing anything like this, and in fact I only ordered 1 complete package just to make sure I can actually do this. While the directions aren't that bad, there are some terms I'm not completely familiar with. However, everything is pretty straight forward. My biggest suggestion - when looking at the instruction booklet, always look at the next page before working on the current step. There were a few times when a question I had was answered as I turned the page!

OK, I was also trying to watch the Phillies game while doing this, so that was getting some of my attention. I stopped after becoming a little tired, as I didn't want to screw anything up. I should be able to easily complete the assembly tomorrow evening, and can update with my total time.

But, to be honest for someone like me, even though there's no soldering involved, it'll give me great pleasure to successfully complete the assembly myself. And it'll please Dan also, because he'll wind up getting some more of my money as I prepare to order another few complete kits in a few days!!! :laughing::laughing:

roadnut wrote:

Michael B wrote:

Michael B

If I would to guess, Dan's goal of the complete kit is to make this Jeff Taylor proof. However, the rest of the world knows it by the more popular term 'Idiot Proof' !!!

Currently, it's taken me about 1 hr 20 min to get approximately 2/3 of the way done. Now, I have virtually no experience doing anything like this, and in fact I only ordered 1 complete package just to make sure I can actually do this. While the directions aren't that bad, there are some terms I'm not completely familiar with. However, everything is pretty straight forward. My biggest suggestion - when looking at the instruction booklet, always look at the next page before working on the current step. There were a few times when a question I had was answered as I turned the page!

OK, I was also trying to watch the Phillies game while doing this, so that was getting some of my attention. I stopped after becoming a little tired, as I didn't want to screw anything up. I should be able to easily complete the assembly tomorrow evening, and can update with my total time.

But, to be honest for someone like me, even though there's no soldering involved, it'll give me great pleasure to successfully complete the assembly myself. And it'll please Dan also, because he'll wind up getting some more of my money as I prepare to order another few complete kits in a few days!!! :laughing::laughing:

Jeff,

It sounds like you and I have the same ability. My wife laughs whenever I try to do anything with tools. Her brothers and father can do anything with tools. Me, it takes me 1 1/2 hours to do a 30 minute job! I always blame it on me not having the right tools. Good luck finishing your kit.

Michael B

What? The sale is on? I'm glad I checked the boards here today!

I've been busy and missed the start but put my order in this morning for 2 complete DIY kits. That brings me to 5 controllers.

Now I need to work on my ropelight MegaTree!

jb_kyfan wrote:

What? The sale is on? I'm glad I checked the boards here today!

I've been busy and missed the start but put my order in this morning for 2 complete DIY kits. That brings me to 5 controllers.

Now I need to work on my ropelight MegaTree!

Nope. The sale is not on. Just a pre-sale on PlanetChristmas branded products.

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/13875.html

As stated in the above thread, these items will be onsale until the end of the regular sale.

I just got my pre-soldered kit. I completely forgot it was spade connectors. That is going to cause me some additional grief as I now need to solder female connectors on all my wired.

I sort of liked the scre-in terminals.

Oh well.

Michael C wrote:

" I completely forgot it was spade connectors. That is going to cause me some additional grief as I now need to solder female connectors on all my wired.

I sort of liked the screw-in terminals."

Another reason I am waiting for the CTB-16D to go on sale :snowman:

But an extra $100 for the "D" and screw terminals. My money is better spent elsewhere. I got the PC with the heavier heatsink, and I really don't need the Deluxe functionality. I already have one 16D and a couple of 8's.

These are the terminals I'm going to use on my PC models. goingtohttp://www-public.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=RB14250A
The wire will exit parallel to the circuit board making a neater intallation.

Attached files 132856=7921-terminal.jpg

Is the PC-CTB16PC Complete Package a fully assembled, 30 amp (2 power cord) 16 channel controller? In other words, do I have to put together / build anything?

You have to put the board in the box and install all the power cords.

timj wrote:

Is the PC-CTB16PC Complete Package a fully assembled, 30 amp (2 power cord) 16 channel controller? In other words, do I have to put together / build anything?

This is the one I'm referring to: http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html

Well, the page does say ...

"With a few hand tools you can put together this 16 channel controller that works in conjunction with the Light-O-Rama ShowTime software to produced amazing light shows."

So I'm guessing that you need to put it all together. Put the controller in the enclosure, put the cords on the card.

You have to put the board in the box and install all the power cords.

It seems this one is much cheaper than the Showtime one (I bought a Showtime one last year and am looking to pick up another 16 channel one). How hard is it to install the board and power cords?