Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Early Bird Sale

Guest guest

Guest guest

David Balch wrote

40 amps I understand when supplied from 2 seperate 20a circuits with the CORRECT GAUGE FEED wire

Which would be:

14 awg for 15 amp circuits
12 awg for 20 amp circuits

This was addressed today in http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/13875.html , but the two main reasons for the 30 amp rating of the CTB-16PC are the that it has smaller heatsinks than the CTB16D and that the plastic enclosure is not as efficient at dissipating heat as a metal enclosure.

Tony

Guest guest

tonyjmartin wrote:

This was addressed today in http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/13875.html , but the two main reasons for the 30 amp rating of the CTB-16PC are the that it has smaller heatsinks than the CTB16D and that the plastic enclosure is not as efficient at dissipating heat as a metal enclosure.

Tony

This is correct. I would strongly discourage anyone from trying to push the CTB-16PC to 40amps.

Guest guest

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Whitey,

You're mighty close to my house, pardner, and there ain't room in this town for TWO LOR users...

I have another LOR user (and PC member) less than a mile from my house. While I know your kidding, just wanted to point out to anyone who might worry about this ... don't. Everything will work out just fine.

Guest guest

I have seen people use large rubbermaid tubs to house units instead of the smaller enclosures. That's actually what I was thinking of doing.
I have also seen people install fans in enclosures

Thanks for the clarification

Guest guest

Don wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:
Whitey,

You're mighty close to my house, pardner, and there ain't room in this town for TWO LOR users...

I have another LOR user (and PC member) less than a mile from my house. While I know your kidding, just wanted to point out to anyone who might worry about this ... don't. Everything will work out just fine.

Actually you two need to get together and help each other out. Don and I do our own things with our shows, but help each other when and if needed. Don has a couple years on me but without his help last year my show wouldn't of happened. We even started a website for the town so anyone with christmas lights could show off.
Have fun, that's what it is all about.

Guest guest

David Balch wrote:

I have seen people use large rubbermaid tubs to house units instead of the smaller enclosures. That's actually what I was thinking of doing.
I have also seen people install fans in enclosures

Thanks for the clarification

Yup. Seen homemade strips of aluminum on the triacs, some even adorned with lots of little heat sinks (so lots of fins sticking up). And fans too. Whatever gets more air to the heat, and the heat into the air. Since the triacs are rated at 16amps/600volts each, I assume that there is some wiggle room, but I would be very careful experimenting with putting in a 20amp fuse to test that theory, especially with a nice new controller. The rating is basically saying "This is what we say it will do." Anything beyond that...and well...you've been warned.

Tony

Guest guest

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Whitey,

;)

I know, I sent you a message. Your show appears to be a little bigger than mine as I am limited by space. I am going to try and takeover my neighbors house next year, lol.

I'd love to get together and talk some time. I am a firefighter in Margate and there is a guy in my zone that is a LOR user also. Mybe we can have a mini meeting and swap ideas.

Whitey

Guest guest

FDWhitey wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:
Whitey,

;)

I know, I sent you a message. Your show appears to be a little bigger than mine as I am limited by space. I am going to try and takeover my neighbors house next year, lol.

Whitey,

I got an email from "the forum" saying that you sent me an email but I can't access any "member" functions. I've sent a couple of emails to "the autorities" but haven't gotten a response yet as to why this is the case.

In any event: yes, I was just kidding about there not being room enough for the two of us. Heck, I'd love to see every house doing it.

Until I get the account thing figured out, you can click on the link in my signature and email me from there. I definitely get those.

Fixed typos

Oh, you have to PAY to PLAY! Not sure how I missed that...never saw any prompts or anything...I just stumbled upon it and all is well now.

I'll stay postive and Christmassy and not, umm, say anything disparaging here...

(And no - I did NOT read any of the fine print prior to/during signup.)*

*I'm being sarcastic here. On myself.

Guest guest

Thank god for PLANETCHRISTMAS!!! I just read that the email doesn't go out for a couple of weeks according to Dan.

Just ordered 2 Complete kits (Some Assembly Required):laughing:
and an Easy Light Linker Pair.

1 for me and one for our neighbor and hopefully the ELL will go across the road.

So only 32 channels this year but 48 if you count the fact that I will be driving my neighbors show. I couldn't bring myself to order another 16 for myself. Next year!!!!

Thanks again Dan and the crew at LOR.

BRING IT ON!!!!!

-Evan

Guest guest

Ordered 4 units. Brings me to 96...........Also added close to 25, 000 more lights to a total of 53, 000. Man I need to start my new music sequences:]

Guest guest

I just ordered 2

Card Assembled (Complete PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE )

That will give me 80 channels for 2007! :waycool:

I have also got about 10,000 LEDs on the way from Creative Displays.:waycool:

That will give me about 12,000 LEDs and 26,000 minis for 2007!

Hope I get to the mail first when the CC bill arrives.:shock:

Bret

Guest guest

Peggy13 wrote:

I am tempted to get my feet wet and order maybe 2 of the complete sets which is 32 channels. Am I correct?

Yes Peggy,

You would be correct.

Tom

Edit: but I would make sure your feet are "dry" when tinkering with them :laughing:.

Guest guest

tonyjmartin wrote:

I ordered a complete CTB16PC-KIT-PACKAGE.......

LAST WEEK!!!!

Grrrrrrr. :shock:

Tony

Just thought I'd let you all know that Dan has made this situation right. Customer service does still exist in the world after all!

Happily,

Tony

Guest guest

tonyjmartin wrote:

tonyjmartin wrote:
I ordered a complete CTB16PC-KIT-PACKAGE.......

LAST WEEK!!!!

Grrrrrrr. :shock:

Tony

Just thought I'd let you all know that Dan has made this situation right. Customer service does still exist in the world after all!

Happily,

Tony

Wow! That is pretty incredible!

Michael B

Guest guest

I ordered one completed board (so I'd have a working sample :] ) and two kits to solder up.

So seeing as how this is my first endeavor at animation....I'll have 48 channels :waycool:

Guest guest

Alabama_Santa wrote:

Hope I get to the mail first when the CC bill arrives.:shock:

I know where you are coming from. The only thing I have had in my favor is that I have been talking this up for the past 6 months. I decided to tell the other half that I was going to spend $$$$ on upgrades. In reality, I will spend half of that. So, when the bill comes in, I can say "look at how much money I saved...".

Guest guest

I want to start doing an animated light display this christmas. I have not yet made my purchase but I know I would like to go with LOR. I was going to go with the "Showtime" products. This is because I am not the person that is good at putting electronic components together esp. with solder nor am I very technical. SO.....here are the questions.......

1: How much time/effort/skill, will I need to put the "PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE" together and get it working?

2. What is the difference between the controller that is in the PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE package and the controllers offered in the Showtime Packages, the LOR1602W........As far as I can see they look to be the same except the Showtime products are already assembled and include the software and CAT5 cables. Anything else....rememdber I'm a noob....:]

Basically what I am trying to do is save some money, but I need the controllers to work properly. So if I need to spend the money to buy the showtime products to ensure that everything will work properly then I will. Right now I am looking to buy 4+ controllers. So thanks for the help and sorry for going on and on.

Guest guest

DStack701 wrote:

I want to start doing an animated light display this christmas. I have not yet made my purchase but I know I would like to go with LOR. I was going to go with the "Showtime" products. This is because I am not the person that is good at putting electronic components together esp. with solder nor am I very technical. SO.....here are the questions.......

1: How much time/effort/skill, will I need to put the "PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE" together and get it working?

2. What is the difference between the controller that is in the PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE package and the controllers offered in the Showtime Packages, the LOR1602W........As far as I can see they look to be the same except the Showtime products are already assembled and include the software and CAT5 cables. Anything else....rememdber I'm a noob....:]

Basically what I am trying to do is save some money, but I need the controllers to work properly. So if I need to spend the money to buy the showtime products to ensure that everything will work properly then I will. Right now I am looking to buy 4+ controllers. So thanks for the help and sorry for going on and on.

Step 1. Read the instructions. Link

If, after reading the instructions you decide that you can't assemble this package, then you should stick to showtime controllers. (No questions asked. We do not mess around with electricity around here.)

Look over this thread, and the other early bird thread. One (or both) detail the differences between the CTB-16PC and CTB-16D controllers. The LOR1602W uses the CTB-16D controller.