Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to figure out which level of software to purchase

polarass11

I notice that ShowTime Software Suite S3's demo, basic, and basic plus say the each support 2 tracks. Standard supports 4 tracks and advanced supports unlimited tracks. This might be a silly question but, what tracks are they talking about? What exactly does this mean?

Tracks are a way of managing channels within your sequence. Tracks allow you to group channels together, and use different timing grids. This comes in very handy as your display grows in size / number of channels.

This is my second year. Last year I had the standard version. Worked well with what I had. This year I upgraded to advance. I would say go big or stay home....lol

You'll end up with advanced version sooner or later. Now that I kinda know what I'm doing, I love having all those tracks at my disposal. Group different props in different tracks makes sequencing so much easier.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I jumped straight into Advanced due to the video player limitations in the non-advanced versions. So now that I have Advanced, can anyone clearly explain (yes, I've seen the chart with the check boxes!) what the advantages are? What can I do now that I couldn't do before? Is there anything REALLY cool that I've been missing out on and am not utilizing?

Go advanced, what you dont use this year you might want next year. Most build bigger each year, may as well get it out of the way.

I went straight to the Advanced and this year when I licensed Superstar, I went straight to 24 ribbons (but I knew I was going to do 12 strings so the 8 license would not do).

Here are some of the features that I am using (or will when the landscaping project is completed) and their degree of need:

Startup / shutdown sequences (absolutely required)

Advanced show startup options (required)

Interactive shows (absolutely required)

Windows shell commands (nice to have)

E1.31 (DMX over ethernet) (absolutely required)

Multiple network (strong preference)

BTW, keep in mind that this is just for my landscape lighting. Christmas this year just requires more of the same. Next year might get more involved.