Light-O-Rama Forums

Tree Set-Up questions

xrays911

I've been trying to search out the answer to my questions, but am not having much luck so I apologize should this be repetitive. I am new to LOR. I actually started with Halloween this year and am now looking towards Christmas. We will be attempting a 12 CCR tree among other things and I have some questions specific to these ribbons:

• Do the ribbons need to be encased in some sort of protective device when used outdoors? (I live in Wisconsin)
  • Are there any plans available for construction of a 12 CCR tree?
  • I am understanding that I will not be able to use my Showtime director for the 12 CCRs :( and will in fact need to have 3 networks available to me (2 for the 12 CCRs and 1 for the remaining 6/16 channel controllers). Does this simply mean I will need a laptop with 3 USB ports?
  • Are there any places I can go to for free/or reasonably priced sequences to get me started?

That's all I can think of right now. I appreciate everyone's help getting me started out here! I think it's awesome how this group shares experiences and I look forward to sharing mine as I venture out more!

Can only help with some of the questions...

I used the ribbons as is attached to some plastic pipe used for electical work (grey) for my arches.

Zipped tied them every few inches.

You can use a USB hub to add more USB ports.

There are places to get free sequences but not sure if you can find any for your tree.

http://www.facebook.com/BoydFamilyChristmasLightShow?ref=hl

I have an 8 leg tree made of the same gray electrical conduit. Picture is on my facebook page linked above. I used the conduit for all legs and cross members, top and bottom, drilled through the verticals and horizontals and attached them together with 3" bolts. The black horizontal you see, is a piece of 3/4" steel EMT added for a little more strength. Brian at Superstarlights.com has several sequences for sale on there.

As for how he made his, you could probably e-mail him. I know there's a video or some photos of how he did his somewhere, but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

Hope this helps a little. I know it's not much. I can take some close-ups of my tree if you like.

Ron

Answer to your first bullet: The CCR's come in a flexible soft plastic sleeve sealed at each end. If you are suspending them like for a mega tree you should support them in some fashion. Multiple options there. Wire, cable, pipe, rope etc.

I put together a How-to on how I did mine on my FB page. Here's the link:

PixelTree

Ron, I can't thank you enough as it's hard just starting out!

Answer to your first bullet: The CCR's come in a flexible soft plastic sleeve sealed at each end. If you are suspending them like for a mega tree you should support them in some fashion. Multiple options there. Wire, cable, pipe, rope etc.

This helps a lot! I think (during my research) I was confusing the pixel string trees with the ribbon trees

Can only help with some of the questions...

I used the ribbons as is attached to some plastic pipe used for electical work (grey) for my arches.

Zipped tied them every few inches.

You can use a USB hub to add more USB ports.

There are places to get free sequences but not sure if you can find any for your tree.

Good information-Thanks!

• The topic was locked