Light-O-Rama Forums

Stumped! E682 and WS2811

ShaggySS

Well this e632 could be way over my head... I couldn't log back on the web server and was stumped on why. I entered the correct IP and nothing... I noticed only 2 of the LEDs were coming on e682 when powered up. Looks like I blew the 2a controller fuse.?? I'm not sure why. I have 1 x 12v 5amp power supplies on each side. Sorry for bargradeing your thread... I'm very lost...

The other option guys is to install a second ethernet card that you will dedicate to your display, which is what I did. They are very inexpensive.

Make sure the second one does not use the same IP address range as your other ethernet card and you are set!

With a second network you wilkl be assured there will be no impact to your display by traffic on your home network.

BTW, I assign my IPs on the dedicated network, rather than let DHCP handle it, and that way I am assured there are no glitches.

Greg

Well this e632 could be way over my head... I couldn't log back on the web server and was stumped on why. I entered the correct IP and nothing... I noticed only 2 of the LEDs were coming on e682 when powered up. Looks like I blew the 2a controller fuse.?? I'm not sure why. I have 1 x 12v 5amp power supplies on each side. Sorry for bargradeing your thread... I'm very lost...

Did you do set the jumpers correctly. Mine came already setup for 12v not sure if that is the config. Send a picture of yours wired up and maybe its something obvious

The other option guys is to install a second ethernet card that you will dedicate to your display, which is what I did. They are very inexpensive.

Make sure the second one does not use the same IP address range as your other ethernet card and you are set!

With a second network you wilkl be assured there will be no impact to your display by traffic on your home network.

BTW, I assign my IPs on the dedicated network, rather than let DHCP handle it, and that way I am assured there are no glitches.

Greg

Greg, I would agree a dedicated network card even a USB network card dedicated is the way to go for these due to the multicast but that is also one more thing that could create issues during the initial "how does this thing work phase" I read of some people having issues getting a second nic to work in LOR. Doing the second nic is my next project after I get this card mounted. Static is also easier I like that the manufacture choose a random ip like 206.

...and one more thing. Someone mentioned reading the op manual for the E68x. I would suggest you do so. The hardware is very configurable, but there is information in the manual that's required to make the setting changes needed to make it work with different types of pixels. FYI the WS2811 pixels are controlled using the 1804 (fast) setting which is "CHip" type "3"

Jeff

Jeff thank you for correcting me. You are Correct Chip 1 3 is what you should be typing not chip 1-4 I had myself so convinced that is was 4 I wasted an hour tonight troubleshooting and finally I tried 3 and we are back in business.

I started mounting my 2811 strips and testing them all in the garage and I am glad I did. I have a 75 pixel or ~25ft run which works great off of the controller. For my last 50 pixels I figured the DC power run was too long so why not just pull the data off the 25ft run and inject power. First of all with the E682 in test 0 the strip started flashing and doing some funky stuff. If I play a sequence attempts to flash the lights but far from show worthy. So I guess I was curious if a E682 allows for power injection.

I tested the strip to verify it wasn't a bad strip.

• 3 weeks later...

I started mounting my 2811 strips and testing them all in the garage and I am glad I did. I have a 75 pixel or ~25ft run which works great off of the controller. For my last 50 pixels I figured the DC power run was too long so why not just pull the data off the 25ft run and inject power. First of all with the E682 in test 0 the strip started flashing and doing some funky stuff. If I play a sequence attempts to flash the lights but far from show worthy. So I guess I was curious if a E682 allows for power injection.

I tested the strip to verify it wasn't a bad strip.

So I answered my question and thought I better share for others out there. You can inject power very easily. Just connect the ground and data from the existing strip and add join the two grounds and add the positive from the new power supply. The existing positive does not get connected.

So I answered my question and thought I better share for others out there. You can inject power very easily. Just connect the ground and data from the existing strip and add join the two grounds and add the positive from the new power supply. The existing positive does not get connected.

if you are supplying the injection from the same power supply then there is no issue with connecting the positive as well between the 2 strips, it actually can be benificial doing it this way as you back feed power back down the previous strip as well. For example a 12vdc strip can have power supplied at the beginning of strip 1 and then inject between strip 2 and 3 and then inject between strip 4 and 5. You just need to ensure that the cable used is rated high enough for the load of 2 strips.

It can actually even be said that even with 2 different power supplies you can still hook up the positive due to the cable and strip distance between power supplies being a load in itself. But personally if i use 2 power supplies i like to keep those circuits seperate

Edited by edvas69

• 1 month later...

That was my problem, mine is 192.168.10.x :)

Not that it will help you now, but the latest firmware allows you to over-ride the default IP at startup with the program button to force an address of 192.168.x.206 where

X can be anywhere from 0 to 15.

Not that it will help you now, but the latest firmware allows you to over-ride the default IP at startup with the program button to force an address of 192.168.x.206 where

X can be anywhere from 0 to 15.

Cool. Has the docu been updated to reflect this? I'm obviously not going to re-flash now that the show is going (and the 681-6's are working awesomely!) but I probably will before next season...