Light-O-Rama Forums

The Psych Central Report Christmas Lighting Addiction John M. Grohol, Psy.D

maccnh

Dan Baldwin founded a company called Light-O-Rama two years ago after seeing the fuss people made about the display at his Garfield, N.J., home. "It's pretty much addictive," Baldwin said. "We have people who say, 'Don't tell my wife. Can you not put the price in the box when you send it?'"

Link to where it came from: http://psychcentral.com/newsletter/issue002/christmas_addiction.htm

I can't say what I want to because this is a family oriented forum. What an @#$%^%$#@@^()&%##^**^%$$$#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, cant say what I want !! but WTF "Where's The Fun" lol.... If you're one of these folks who can't live without their million-light holiday display, seek help. Imagine how much better your gift to the world would be if you donated your electricity costs to a local charity or homeless shelter. Iam so glad the Doctor has the world figured out!! WTF I spend less now on my electricity and going to have a donation box this year. Why can't people just mind there own business?!?! SEEK HELP lol... why so I can give you my money,you will continue taking it and you can continue telling me I need help ! WOW... REALY

I found this article while searching for Dan's Chime-O-Matic video, posted it on FB last week.. as the article (and docs) knowledge base is 8yrs old, there is a certain amount of truth to this story.. very little, but some. Running the thousnds of lights, 8yrs ago, was expensive. no doubt abt that.. there were no LEDs in 2004 (or very very few and very expensive), so that part was true, however, this guy reminds me of the Sigmund Frued charactor in Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure.. talking (or writing) just to make $$ and not doing any research. I would demand a re-look at the hobby, actual industry, now.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I found this article while searching for Dan's Chime-O-Matic video, posted it on FB last week.. as the article (and docs) knowledge base is 8yrs old, there is a certain amount of truth to this story.. very little, but some. Running the thousnds of lights, 8yrs ago, was expensive. no doubt abt that.. there were no LEDs in 2004 (or very very few and very expensive), so that part was true, however, this guy reminds me of the Sigmund Frued charactor in Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure.. talking (or writing) just to make $$ and not doing any research. I would demand a re-look at the hobby, actual industry, now.

In 2004 I was paying an average of 50cents per light string (maybe less) because I bought standard strings on clearance after-season.

These days you're lucky to pay $10 for the equivalent string in LED - maybe double that.

I'd say the hobby was a lot cheaper back then...

As for the article - I shy away from personal attention. Many of my acquaintances who deal with me on a regular basis in person don't even realize I'm a Christmas-light guy, and those who do often don't know the extent of it. It's not like I'm doing this to make a spectacle of myself. Frankly I'm embarrassed when someone finally puts 2 and 2 together and realizes I'm the guy behind "that display in Plymouth" I didn't even have a facebook page for our display until last year because I wasn't sure I wanted my friends list to know ;)

Edited by Tim Fischer

With my piratic cand Christmas displays everyone I know who asks if I've been on the local TV or in the papers, I tell them I dont want the notoriety.. I do the shows for the neighbors. There's quite a few lil kids within several blocks and they've been coming by each year hoping to see Jack Sparrow, or Santa or an elf.. they got to see Rudolph, Clarese, Herbie, Yukon, and all the Misfit toys last year (2010). This year is Santas workshop, and with the Gemmy Santa we got last year, I hope it'll be fun for them again, and they take the memories with them.. which is why our family does this.. Several families on our block bring their kids by each night to see the lights, listen to the music then take the kids home to go to sleep.. No fame, personal fortune, or "Look At Me" symdrome.. its "Look At The Reason For The season" sysndrome..

• The topic was locked