Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Keeper - Where to Get?

Bob Musil

Does anybody know a reliable place that has the new LED Keeper in stock and ready to ship? I have a several strings of led's that need to be reapired for this season, and I have had two separate vendors accept my order and then tell me that they were not in stock yet.

One of Amazon's affiliates is one of the misleading ones. After waiting for my order for 10 days, I contacted them and was told that it was listed by mistake, and they do not carry the LED Keeper.

You can buy it here: http://www.ronshomea...ol-p/149926.htm

And currently they have it for a really great price $20.86¢ and shipping isn't too bad either, standard ground service to Florida and my Zip was only $8.06¢ for a total of $28.92¢! Most other sites that have them are selling them for around $24.99 or so. So the above site has a great deal at the moment.

What Amazon is selling is the LKP {Light Keeper Pro} which is for incandescents, not really designed for use with LED's.

The tool at the above url is definitely the one you're seeking if you're wanting to test and find the bad LED in ANY type of LED strand {M5, M6, C6, C7, Button, Net, Icicle, etc.}. The tool works for replaceable as well as sealed LED strands..

Edited by Orville

"Insulation Piercing Technology"???

A battery and a couple of straight pins will do the same thing :)

Not that easy.

I am the inventor of LED Keeper.

Edited by Dennis Cherry
  • Like 1

I will have some available at the Tennessee Mini on Sept 15.

The LED Keeper was brought to market in 9 months, the units are here in the US now. To make sure the units are working correctly and passes 100%, each unit is being retested again before shipping. This will slow down the deliveries some.

Keep looking and you will find them in stores very soon.

Ulta-Lit ( maker of the Light Keeper Pro) has an excellent reputation on quality and wants you the have a quality product.

There are 2 different units and you will have decide which one you want.

LED Keeper 'E' is GREEN in color, it works buy plugging the LED string and LED Keeper into 120VAC. It will tests your Full and Half Wave LED light strings, but it is the best for helping repair sealed light strings. This would be the DIY choice unit.

LED Keeper 'B' is YELLOW in color, it works but pluging the LED string into the LED Keeper, it operates off a 9 volt battery (supplied) and can test a entire LED light string section. This unit is best for consumer LED strings with replaceable LED's. Works with Full and Half Wave light strings also.

Both units have a LED bulb tester and fuse tester.

Here is a video of a prototype testing a light string.

http://www.ledkeeper.com/video/index.html

These units do not test incandescent mini lights.

I will get a list of places to buy the units soon and post it here.

Edited by Dennis Cherry

Dennis, I apologize if you thought I was bad mouthing you or Ulta-Lit, that was not my intention at all. I fully respect the quality and usability of your testers. We have two Lightkeeper Pro's, and they are the reason I was so excited when I heard about the LED Keeper.

I like the idea of thorough product testing. My frustration is with retailers that advertise products that they do not have in stock.

If I may offer one suggestion: None of the web sites that I have seen advertising the LED Keeper make any mention of the different models. It would help us consumers if we were aware of the differences, so that we can select the one that best suits our needs.

Keep putting out fairly priced, quality products that help me with this obsession, and I will keep buying them.

Dennis, got some questions now, since I watched your original vid, I was under the impression that the "green body" unit that operates off ~AC~ current would work for either type strand, but now I see you say there are two models, the ~AC~ powered green one is now specifically? for sealed strands, and now a yellow 9VDC Battery powered one for replacable strands?

Or am I misunderstanding and either tool will work for either type of LED strand?

Just seems a bit silly {my opinion mind you, and no insult intended} to require two different tools when some folks may have both strand types, and I had thought one tool would work for both from the inital product info.

So just to clarify it for me, and anyone else that might be confused on this, will either work for any type LED strand, or will we need one of each, green one for sealed and yellow one for replacable LED strands?

Or is it just a matter of choice of power input for the tools?

And does the DC unit require the LED strand to be plugged in and powered for testing, or does the 9V battery supply the power to light the LEDs in the strand being tested and the strand should NOT be plugged into ~AC~ power when being tested with the DC unit?

Just trying to get clarification to know whether I would need both, or can use either one for testing any type of LED strand I may have now, and in the future.

Thanks for any clarifications on this.

Edited by Orville

Dennis, I apologize if you thought I was bad mouthing you or Ulta-Lit, that was not my intention at all. I fully respect the quality and usability of your testers. We have two Lightkeeper Pro's, and they are the reason I was so excited when I heard about the LED Keeper.

I like the idea of thorough product testing. My frustration is with retailers that advertise products that they do not have in stock.

If I may offer one suggestion: None of the web sites that I have seen advertising the LED Keeper make any mention of the different models. It would help us consumers if we were aware of the differences, so that we can select the one that best suits our needs.

Keep putting out fairly priced, quality products that help me with this obsession, and I will keep buying them.

No apology necessary.

We have noticed some very unusual internet sites trying to sell the LED Keeper, the one that comes to mind is selling the LED Keeper for around $60.00 plus S&H.

Most sites are valid, as for Amazon they try to add everything even though it will be someone else who will ship it.

As to the differences, this needs to be addressed and with all the haste to get this to market, that was not addressed well. So let me try to address that.

The GREEN 'E' version will be available for DIY and professional use thought various webites, like suppliers/vendors of LED light strings. Several have already got the 'E' version.

The YELLOW 'B' version will be in retail stores sales like Menards, True Value, Ace Hardware, and in Canada i believe at Canadian Tire. There are other places. The 'B' unit logic design right now cannot aid you in the ability ot replace a sealed LED, but that might change in the next version.

The 'B' unit might also be available along side the 'E' unit at some places.

Ulta-Lit decided with the inculsion of the LED Keeper to the product line, along side the Light Keeper Pro, as not to make all the products the same color, even if they look different. Reason is if you need help using the Ulta-Lit tech support line, it will be easy to ask the person what color is the unit, and then be able to help them.

The DC version does not need any external power source, the 'B' unit will generate enough power off the 9 volt battery to turn on a entire section of LED's. Very unique design and safe for the consumer.

Both units have a power cord extended for the unit, the 'B' unit has a receptacle for you to plug your light string for testing.

The 'E' unit has a plug, as it needs 120Vac along with the LED light string, This unit is what I reconmend for anyone having sealed LED light strings as it is setup to aid you in knowing the polarity of the string section and finding the polarity of the replacement LED.

Both units work well for replacable LED light strings. It is up to you which model best suits you.

BTW: we are open to any suggestions to make either unit better.

You can watch my video of my prototype of the 'E' unit here: https://vimeo.com/37397543

Will make a better video soon, once I find a camera that works better.

Edited by Dennis Cherry

I definitely will be getting one of these!!! I gave 20 bad strands to my brother last year to play with because I had no way to test them. Thanks Dennis!

Where are you located?

I'm in Bartlett TN outside Memphis.

It looks like the best deal online is Ron's Home and Hardware. However, I think what they have is the "B" version.