Light-O-Rama Forums

Opening .wma Files

Guest guest

I am VERY new to this. I downloaded a couple of songs from Wal-Mart.com and they are in .wma format. When I try to create a new musical sequence in LOR it says error opening file. They open and play fine in Windows Media Player. Any ideas? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Fischer helped me with this last night.

Burn the song to CD then rip it into a MP3. Worked on my Yahoo Music Engine .WMA download. (BTW the wma file was also secured and wouldn't even convert to a MP3 any other way)

:waycool::waycool:Who would have thought it would be so easy:waycool::waycool:

lol... would you believe that I am in the software industry and I cant figure this out.

ahhh..

I used itunes to burn to dvd, and now I need to rip it back. I gave it a shot a few times to rip back into itunes but no luck.

Rick wrote:

I used itunes to burn to dvd, and now I need to rip it back. I gave it a shot a few times to rip back into itunes but no luck.

No, you need to burn it to a standard audio CD (like you could play in any home/car CD player. Then rip it back.

It's the process of going to the audio CD where the copy protection gets lost.

-Tim

Thanks for trying to help me through it, but I have to admit defeat on this

The only program that will allow me to burn the files is itunes, and whatever I am doing isnt doing it right. I may just signup with another site that will allow me to download the MP3 format

Yeah....!!!

I finally went for MusicMatch, and it was fairly easy. Then again, I used this package a few years ago.

Merle Haggard - Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer

I know... you are saying.. why Merle Haggard? It has to do with the tempo of the song and where I live.

Rick - sorry that you had problems with Tunebite. The way I did it was to convert from Itunes to an OOG via Tunebite, and then convert from Tunebite to MP3 via Audacity.

I will attempt to find MusicMatch and use it next time.

The way to do it is this.

1) Open it in Windows Media Player

2) Burn it to a CD-R IN Windows Media Player

3) In Windows Media Player click RIP or Copy to Media Library (depends on the version)

4) Copy to library and find where the file is stored.

5) Open it in LOR. DONE.

Whenever possible use WMA over MP3. MP3 is a losselely audio encoder. They way it encodes is by removing little bits of data from the file. You can't really tell unless you use a professional audio system. WMA is mathematically lossless. Its file size is usually 1.5 times the size of a MP3 file. It is a much higher performing algorithm.

Dale W wrote:

Rick - sorry that you had problems with Tunebite. The way I did it was to convert from Itunes to an OOG via Tunebite, and then convert from Tunebite to MP3 via Audacity.

I will attempt to find MusicMatch and use it next time.

I still ran into a problem, but I am njot sure if it is MusicMatch or me. I attempted to tap through a music sequence, and when I do the playback the taps are way off from where I would have wanted them.

Guess I still need to get familiar with the LOR software.

Brad Stevens wrote:

Whenever possible use WMA over MP3. MP3 is a losselely audio encoder. They way it encodes is by removing little bits of data from the file. You can't really tell unless you use a professional audio system. WMA is mathematically lossless. Its file size is usually 1.5 times the size of a MP3 file. It is a much higher performing algorithm.

WMP isnt letting me burn these files to a CD. Actually, WMP doesnt recognize these file extensions.

Also, when I create a new musical sequence in the Open File section I have "All Supported Files" selected and it doesnt show the WMA formatted files. WMA files isnt a selection in the bottom

• 2 weeks later...

3) In Windows Media Player click RIP or Copy to Media Library (depends on the version)

5) Open it in LOR. DONE.
I'm trying to play with the program and can't get anything to work. I tried the above with Mannheim Steamroller's Hark! The Harold Angels Sing and it still shows up with an error. Since I am already spending and saving on LOR products, I'm not sure I am ready to buy something else. Any other ideas?:?

BamaFlum wrote:

5) Open it in LOR. DONE.
I'm trying to play with the program and can't get anything to work. I tried the above with Mannheim Steamroller's Hark! The Harold Angels Sing and it still shows up with an error. Since I am already spending and saving on LOR products, I'm not sure I am ready to buy something else. Any other ideas?:?

What error are you getting when you try to open it. You do see the file. Do you rip it to a MP3 or a WMA?

I get the same message ("Error creating new musical sequence") when trying to use a WMA file.

I am using version 1.5.0 of the Sequence Editor.
The actions were NEW > MUSICAL SEQUENCE > then the audio file box. I put in *.wma and the two wma files appeared. I selected one and then got the "Music Options" panel and I selected events to be 1/10 second. After OK I got the error message.

The WMA file is one I created from an older song (1997) though the CD may be more recent (it's one of those "various artists" compilations) using Windows Media Player (ver 10 I believe).

I ripped the same CD track as an MP3 and can trying opening that if you like.
If you want I can try the same thing with a CD I know is OLD.

Also, if you want the WMA file I can email that to you.