Light-O-Rama Forums

What do I need to start using RGB strips?

tofer26

Hi everyone,

I have finally completed everything for my Halloween show this year and now want to change my focus to Christmas. Last year was my first show and it turned out pretty good for only having one controller. I now have a total of 3 residential controllers and am thinking about getting into the RGB strips for my gutters. I have read the post by TJ about tips on easily hanging the strips with the water pipe, and that is what has me thinking about this now. What all do I need to get started in this endeavor? I am only assuming that I need to get the license for the Super Star sequencer, but other than that, what else will I need besides the 150 LED waterproof RGB strips? This is totally new to me and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!

to continue building on the idea..

Strips,

DC Controller

Power Supply

Strips - I got non-addressable, 5050 RGB IP65 (waterproof) 5meter strips, were abt $16/ea. IP65 are the minimum you should look for.. there is IP66, 67 and 68.. the 67's and 68's are submersible, lots better waterproofing.. If you are going to mount these under your eaves, away from rain, then you can use non-waterproofed strips, abt $10/ea. I'd go with the -65 or higher tho.. just to not have to worry abt it. If you want addressable to make them chase, etc then you will have to go DMX route..

DC Controller - LOR's CMB-16QC.

Power supply - 12vdc, with at least 15amps sustainable..

Going with just a few strips, you shouldnt need a lot of extra channels for it.. If you go with addressable strips, DMX will take care of the high channel count.

Thats just a short list of what you'll need..

TJ,

Where did you say you purchased your RGB strips from? I think you mentioned it in other threads but couldn't remember.

Thanks,

Tom

TJ,

Where did you say you purchased your RGB strips from? I think you mentioned it in other threads but couldn't remember.

Thanks,

Tom

I am interested in that too, thats a pretty cheap price. Also how is the quality of those strips?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but superstar is not required for dumb RGB strips. I've got S3 Advanced

and I sequence my dumb RGB strips and modules just fine using 1 CMB-16QC card.

tj (the other one)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but superstar is not required for dumb RGB strips. I've got S3 Advanced

tj (the other one)

Correct, the superstar software is designed for use with intelligent pixel lighting like the CCR and not for dumb RGB lighting

tj (the other one)

TJ,

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm using LOR "1" :) and haven't had any issues or needed anything else. Just program each of the colors as you would normal color strings.

I am interested in that too, thats a pretty cheap price. Also how is the quality of those strips?

Alot cheaper than I've found (which is why I asked where TJ got them) but the shipping charge wasn't mentioned. Shipping from China will cost and add up if several ribbons are ordered. This is the main reason I went with a vendor here locally (in the U.S.) but still look for good purchases.

I'm trying to stimulate the economy anyway. :D

Buy high, sell low :P .

Edited by Santas Helper

here you all go,you can't beat these at this price, i have several and i am very pleased. shipping time varies,one time I got them in two weeks and this time I am still waitng(just since the eight)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160860680656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thanks to all of you for the great info! So if I am understanding all this, the components needed are the dc controller, power supply, the strips, and of course lots of extra time to sequence them into my show from last year. So if I keep it at 5 strips or less, I can get by with one controller and power supply. So basically about $250. Doesn't seem that bad.

here you all go,you can't beat these at this price, i have several and i am very pleased. shipping time varies,one time I got them in two weeks and this time I am still waitng(just since the eight)

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

If this strip is only coated on the top side and has the 3M tape on the bottom side, then this strip is not very reliable when left out in the weather as the coating can peel away exposing the strip, I have had reports from a few in the past of this type of strip failing when exposed to the elements over time. Its ok for using in semi protected areas where water and sun are not directly exposed to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160860680656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got some similar from ebay as well. shipping was also free. There were some solder joints, but sealing was done after and

all is well so far. For 16 bucks I'm not complaining... (yet?)

tj

I got some similar from ebay as well. shipping was also free. There were some solder joints, but sealing was done after and

all is well so far. For 16 bucks I'm not complaining... (yet?)

tj

Most strip will have solder joints in certain sections of the strip as the strip is made up of several sections of smaller strip which are joined together

Strips - I got non-addressable, 5050 RGB IP65 (waterproof) 5meter strips, were abt $16/ea.

So I wonder where TJ purchased his?

Sorry, been flying a LOT and not had the time to answer.. these were the ones I got (I shudda posted the seller when I made this post) http://www.ebay.com/itm/110922760729

These were $15.96/5m reel, bought 10 reels (50meters), abt 160+ feet of 5050 lights. shipping was included, so, cost per item was closer to $12.. an outstanding deal.. I tested each one of the reels, all the pixels worked fine. Lit up faded up/down with just one note, if you get these (or ones like them) you will see that at 100%, it's reeeeeeeally bright, and it's bright at 1%, below which it just snaps "off", does black.. so a smooth fade from 100% to 1% is good, then goes "light swtch off" .. is it a factor, maybe not for you.. me.. eh.. I'll just do more "off" at the ends.. but overall, I'm happy with these. I think it was Jeff that answered why these just go "off" instead of smooth fade to Zero.. it was because these type lights have a voltage threashold, below which they just dont charge.. something like that, again, maybe why they're $16/roll.. again, it's a preference thing.. I'm happy in that, slipped into 3/4" or 1" PEX piping, they look like CCR's at a fraction of the cost, yeah, I cant chase with them, but then, I'm only spending 2% of a CCR cost.

Doing an eBay search, type in "5050 RGB IP65" (or -66, -67 or 68, with 67 and 68 being submersible.. LOTS better waterproofing)

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

If this strip is only coated on the top side and has the 3M tape on the bottom side, then this strip is not very reliable when left out in the weather as the coating can peel away exposing the strip, I have had reports from a few in the past of this type of strip failing when exposed to the elements over time. Its ok for using in semi protected areas where water and sun are not directly exposed to it.

they are coated on side ,and I have noticed some of the areas are seperating from the strip, I am partly to blame because I zip tied them to a plastic tube that I spiraled around a tomato cage. my solution would be to fixed areas with rtv glue. but for 15 bucks I figuredit was worth a shot and if they go bad will make changes next season

Sorry, been flying a LOT and not had the time to answer.. these were the ones I got (I shudda posted the seller when I made this post) http://www.ebay.com/itm/110922760729

These were $15.96/5m reel, bought 10 reels (50meters), abt 160+ feet of 5050 lights. shipping was included, so, cost per item was closer to $12.. an outstanding deal.. I tested each one of the reels, all the pixels worked fine. Lit up faded up/down with just one note, if you get these (or ones like them) you will see that at 100%, it's reeeeeeeally bright, and it's bright at 1%, below which it just snaps "off", does black.. so a smooth fade from 100% to 1% is good, then goes "light swtch off" .. is it a factor, maybe not for you.. me.. eh.. I'll just do more "off" at the ends.. but overall, I'm happy with these. I think it was Jeff that answered why these just go "off" instead of smooth fade to Zero.. it was because these type lights have a voltage threashold, below which they just dont charge.. something like that, again, maybe why they're $16/roll.. again, it's a preference thing.. I'm happy in that, slipped into 3/4" or 1" PEX piping, they look like CCR's at a fraction of the cost, yeah, I cant chase with them, but then, I'm only spending 2% of a CCR cost.

Doing an eBay search, type in "5050 RGB IP65" (or -66, -67 or 68, with 67 and 68 being submersible.. LOTS better waterproofing)

Thanks a bunch TJ.

That helps out a lot.

your welcome Tom, hope it works well for you!

TJ,

I have some strips of what you mentioned earier on the way. Where did you get you PEX pipe at?

Do you have any pics of the strip in the pipe? Day time shot will do if so.

Thanks,

Tom