Light-O-Rama Forums

Another ribbon failure

drivemewilder

I have 6 CCR's for this season. Last year i ran only 2. 1 of them failed before i even rolled it out. Then half way through the season 1 of them was acting up (several pixels wouldn't light). LOR has been great about replacing them. Now that i've bought the other 4, 1 of those have failed while still coiled in the box. LOR replaced it. 2 nights ago i opened that box and saw that it too isn't working right. When it gets powered up, it stays lit instead of a quick flash on and off again. I uncoiled it and messed with it, got it to turn off but when i tested it in the HU only a few pixels would work. I plugged in a ribbon from last season to the same controller and it worked, so i know it's not the controller. I emailed LOR and they acknowledged that i have a "higher than usual" failure rate. I haven't done anything to jeopardize the ribbon, but i'm still concerned that LOR will stop replacing my failed ribbons. I've had 4 failures that i can recall, in less than a year. Anyone else have even close to that many failures?

They aren't working from the second i plug it in though. I've uncoiled it within 1-2 minutes each time to see if it had a short in it somewhere.

The full on when you plug in and wont do anything else is definitely a short. Been there, don’t that. Your failure rate is usually high. I’ve used the same 12 CCRs several times putting up and taking down at different locations and only had 1 fail…and it was probably due to user handling.

Kevin

I will be purchasing a spare CCR to have as a backup now that i know they can't be trusted entirely. I guess my question is: Should i buy the whole CCR controller and all, or just purchase a backup ribbon with no controller?

My personal opinion is keep a spare of EVERYTHING. Last thing you want is 2000 people standing in front of your house and a prop or strip or tree or GOD forbid half your house won’t work due to a failure. These kinds of things will happen…just when is the unknown. Better be prepared then wait a few days or week until the replacement arrives. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Funny. Even the big shows I see crap out. TSO for example. Bigger then anyone here and they still have stuff that dont work. Get over yourself.

• The topic was locked