Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering concerns

eeek

Hello! Not sure if this is the best place for this, but since I am new, I thought it would go best here. I am working on a Halloween Pumpkin and I am hoping I am good with power. I will be using 1 16 channel controller for this. I understand that each of the 8 channels would need its own 15 amp circuit. However, there isn't a way I could provide that. I can provide a 15 amp dedicated circuit for all 16 channels. I would also like to plug in a small stereo into this circuit, as well. At a max for my lights, I am looking at a total of 8.5 amps, maybe 7.82 if I cut down a few of the 100's to 50's. I am basing the draw on 100 counts to be .34 amps and .17 for 50's. For the pumpkin itself, it would be a total of 21100 count incandescent mini light strings. Possibly only 19 strings. The other 8 channels would have no more than 1.36 amp total. They will only have small strings, no more than 50 count incandescent bulbs. The high draw per channel is going to be 2.04 amps. It's designed to be a talking/signing pumpkin, so at no point will everything be on at once. I feel pretty comfortable with my set up; I don't think I am going to need another circuit, but I just wanted to run it by the pros. Thoughts?

you only need what power you will be using,so if the oulet you have is 15 amps with nothing on it then you will be fine. many people here who run leds only use one cord to power the whole board. even the channels with 2.04 amps will be fine as long as you don't exceed 15 amps per bank.

I ran 9 controllers last year off of one outlet. Using a Kill A Watt meter and with everything turned on at the same time. I was only drawing 10 amps. Everything is LED with the exception of one 60 watt bulb for my blow mode Santa. And 24 3' tall candy canes. Candy canes have been converted to run on LEDs this year and I am adding a mega tree with 12 100 ct LED strings in 3 colors, aka 36 strings. And 5 4' trees with 3 colors @ 100ct each. Bet I stay under 13 amps. Course how many of use run all of our lights on at a given time. Ok maybe finial for 5 to 10 sec.

I have light poles set up as a matrix. 128 channels of 50 count mini incans on 8 LOR controllers.

I have run it for years on 1 outlet that also runs the stereo, transmitter and computer.

I don't turn on all 128 at once, nor would you if you are using a pumpkin face so I don't think it will be a problem.

To be sure you can get a kill-a-watt or an amp meter and measure the draw of the strings.

Scott

If you total the current draw for all my lights, it is more than the rating of the circuit breaker. However, my sequences never have all the lights on 100% at the same time, so it has worked.

Last year, when setting up, one of my helpers said: "Let's see what it looks like when you turn everything on at once." So I did, and after a minute or two, the circuit breaker tripped. So I don't do that anymore.