Light-O-Rama Forums

Winsock Error

CLP-Brad

I have never been able to get DMX to work out of S3 without an iDMX. In the status window I'm getting this error:

9:18:40 AM: DMX listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure

9:18:42 AM: Connected to DMX Listener

Can anyone tell me why and how to fix the problem. It does it on both of my systems. Computers are Windows 7 64bit.

You need to Start "LOR Control Panel" first for the DMX to work from your computer without the IDMX.

You need to Start "LOR Control Panel" first for the DMX to work from your computer without the IDMX.

LOR Control panel is running. That is were I grab the above errors from. I'm also running the Advanced version. I have done everything the setup guides have told me to do. But every time it shows a Winsock error.

Seems to be conflicting with something. I can't even get it to work with an Enttc USB Pro hooked up. I know all DMX equipment is working correctly as I can control it from MADRIX with no issues.

Ok, sounds like a conflict.

Do you have 2 programs running that will use the same device?

Are you possitive the correct dongle is selected?

Give us a breakdown on your configuration in the software please.

Ok, sounds like a conflict.

Do you have 2 programs running that will use the same device?

Are you possitive the correct dongle is selected?

Give us a breakdown on your configuration in the software please.

- No I do not have 2 programs trying to use the same port or device at the same time.

- My StellaScape is setup for Universe 1 - 4

- In networking prefs I selected Advance, then Unv 1, Use E1.31, Multicast (also tried the IP of the network card)

DevMike,

Yes TCP/IP v4 is installed address is 10.10.10.110 of the network card. I know it works because I can load up MADRIX and instantly control the lights.

Any chance that windows firewall is blocking S3?

Can you use wireshark to confirm that LOR is outputting packets to the network the same way that madrix is? Even better if you can run wireshark on a second pc on the same network

Also verify that shows are disabled in the control panel if you are trying to play from the sequence editor.

Do you have the task bar entry for the LOR com listener? If it is dying on launch, DMX won't work, and we need to figure out why it is dying.

Ok I've gone from being frustrated to agitated. I did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 64bit, and installed LOR 3.6.0 Advanced. Nothing else was installed.

Next I started LOR control panel, then went into the network setup. Selected E1.31 multicast then clicked OK. Bam errors out. WHY?

Error is:

DMX listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure

Connection to DMX Listener

I can't think of a single reason it should be doing this on a fresh install. There is nothing to conflict with it.

Someone PLEASE help.

See pic: LOR.jpg

Edited by CLP-Brad

Have you checked to see if the data is coming out onto the network? It seems like the final message may have cleared the winsock error. I've actually only ever looked at the DOS window which makes it look like all connections are good in your case.

Even when no sequence is running, if the control panel is launched, there will be data on 239.255.0.1 port 5568.

You can also use SACNView to see if there is data being generated by LOR. If you launch the tool and have it listen on universe one, when you run a sequence you should see values changing in the SACNView tool. This should show you the same thing when using madrix.

http://sacnview.sourceforge.net/

I think if you do what Heystew suggests, you'll see things are actually working. What I think is happening:

1. You start the control panel. The control panel sees that you have DMX defined, and so it kicks the Listener off and starts polling it.
  2. Before the listener gets a chance to start, the control panel polls the listener and errors out since it has not yet finished initializing. (7:57:07)
  3. The Listener finishes initializing (7:57:08)
  4. The control panel polls the Listener again. Since it has finished initializing, it connects (7:57:09)

At that point, everything should be working.

Ok I got it but here is what it took. First off I had a misconception that the control panel would output DMX without the USB 485B connected. Without it hooked up, even if your not using it to output to LOR units, the E1.31 will not work. DevMike was right that it was failing then going back and trying again. Can't quite tell you why it fails first.

I also have it working with MADRIX for triggering without having to go out to a switch and back in. I will create a separate post explaining how to make it work.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this.

-Brad

Brad,

Glad you got it to work. I think you may have been experiencing the following.

If you have a DMX dongle (LOR RS485 or Enttec pro, etc) configured in the Network Preferences, but not connected to the computer, the Control Lights option will become unchecked when you hit Play. You can then go in and check it again and it will work, but it will do this every time you hit play.

there's a discussion about this here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/21633-control-lights-option-de-selects-when-not-all-adapters-are-available/

dave

There is diffidently a glitch still with 1.31 and LOR with some machines. This past weekend, I had two computer semi geniuses working on my laptop to correct the same error. For hrs, we could not figure out what the heck was going on. Our setup was an 1.31 controller plugged into directly to the laptop (no router) The IP of the laptop was changed to a static IP, and we could view the statues of the 1.31 controller wit no problem via explorer. When we opened up the LOR control panel every time, we has the same error. Three different people all with very knowledgeable experience in LOR and networking, could not get it. As soon as we plugged it into another laptop, same config, it worked. I came home, plugged the laptop into a router, than plugged with 1.31 controller into the router, and it works perfect. Go figure :angry: Using a brand new clean machine (2 weeks old) with Windows7