Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP Tree and Sphere Closeup Video

BrianBruderer

Thanks for the video, it is great. I think I missed it in the video, what size of Wire Loom is that and where did you pick it up at? I like the look it gives the pixels.

Thank You,

• Like 1

It is 1" transparent wire loom. I bought it at "cable ties and more". The web site offers a 300 ft roll which is exactly what you need. But if you call them up they will send you a 550 ft roll for only slightly more and then you will have some extra.

I am going to try using 3/4 inch white instead of the 1 inch transparent. It isn't as bright, but gives a more localized glow.

Do your neighbors think you're nuts playing with Christmas lights in August? :D :D

Edited by mattpatt

Our next door neighbor understands it is "my work" and compliments me. The other neighbors don't say much about it, but I expect they do think I'm a bit odd.

• 11 months later...

One more question Mr. B. What is the length of pipe you use for your Pixel tree, not including the pipe that is used with the globe? I assume a 10' pipe with a 30" pipe attached to create a 12'-6" tall tree.

Thanks

The conduit is sold in 10ft pieces. In my video I am using a 10ft section plus a 2ft piece, and the 2ft piece screws into the hook head that the globe screws into. So the distance from the ground to the hook head is 12ft. In the video you can see that with the 5 1/2 inch spacing that I am using on the lights, the strands end up being 12-18 inches above the ground. So you could shorten the distance from the ground to the hook head by 8 inches if you want and then the strands will be 4-10 inches above the ground.

Thanks so much. My yard has a slope to it and I am trying to figure out what I need so that the backside light will be above the ground and the front lights will be even higher off the ground. I guess I'll have to go out and take some shots to see how much lower the front of the tree is compared to the back of the tree and where the pole will go compared to the back of the tree.

Many thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would pass along what I used to store my globe after I got it together. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood cut 14"x14" and used carriage bolts to attach a pipe flange to it and then screwed the pipe I constructed the globe with into it. Now I have a stable base for the globe, then I pack bubble wrap around the globe that I had place into a cardboard box. Now I don't have to weary about the pixels resting on packing.