Light-O-Rama Forums

TIP: How to mount RGB strips, CCRs or ropelight to roof line.

TJ Hvasta

A good write-up, but Super Bundles? Do you mean SuperStrings? Separate red, green, blue, white mini incand strings, zipped together, are known as SuperStrings. Bundles are TV, Phone and Internet deals :P

A good write-up, but Super Bundles? Do you mean SuperStrings? Separate red, green, blue, white mini incand strings, zipped together, are known as SuperStrings. Bundles are TV, Phone and Internet deals :P

True! Super Strings is what I meant, however I guess when you think about it is a Bundle, Damn now its getting confusing :blink: !

Edited by brownjm74

I'm doing this with my dumb RGB strips.. slipping the strips inside 3/4" PEX (Lowes Vanguard, $5/10'; HD Sharkbite, also $5/10') cold-water drinking pipe.. the color shining thru the pipe is amazing!! For CCRs, you could zip-tie them to the outside of 1/2" or 3/4" PE (thin wall) or Sched40 (thick wall) pvc pipe.. Once thats done, get a BUNCH of spring broom clips, the kind that separate when you push the handle into them.. slide them off the long bar, screw them to the front of your eaves/rafters. Then push the 10' (or 16' ttl length) pvc pipe with the CCR/RGB Strip zipped to it, into the clips on the front of your eaves. Goes up in like 5 minutes. Would work for any type of strings, mini's C5, 7, 9's. Snap your whole length of lights into place in minutes., No hammering/nail bending, stapling, or hook screwing needed.

http://www.homedepot...ps#.UDL8L91lREN

WOW Thats how I am planning to do mine!

I got a deal on a bunch and it is a last minute addition but glad to hear someone tried it and it works!

Paul, it isnt normal sched40 or even Type 200 (psi) pipe.. it has to be PEX, thinwall, low pressure cold drinking water pipe.. everything else is too thick, color wont come thru.

• 3 weeks later...

Tim, where did you get the star frame from? Did the water tube bend without heating?

Wow sorry I missed this post for the past month :)

The star frame actually came from Menards - it was a red/white/blue star (with incan rope) that we used as/is for a topper for many years. Last year I stripped it and used the flex-tube.

I did heat the tube for the sharper bends - it also doesn't bend "perfectly' around the corners (tends to flatten out/open up) but that's ok - the ribbon is weatherproof, and you can't tell from the ground.

Fry, I didnt get the clips, I went with the 3/4" conduit clamps (they look like a question mark) for the PEX pipe. I got several 20ct bags for the pipe mounting on the house.. was like $3/ea at HomeDepot.. used 5 for a 16' length of pipe. one at each end, the other 3 spaced evenly. For the wall-wash effect I want (to turn the house green for the Emerald City look), I zip-tied the strips (just snug, not tight) to the outside of the PEX (at solder pads only) and mounted them just under the eaves using the conduit clamps. I'm on a trip and get back home in the evening. I'll snap a couple pix in the morning and post how they are put up.

I might change the strips from the outside of the PEX to sliding them inside, to do "the CCR-style" lighting for Christmas, but would prob still use the conduit clamps this year. HD and Lowes didnt have anything other than the broom holders (nearly $7/ea). To do the CCR-style pipe, I'd have to get an order of the spring clamps I started searching for and screw them into the front face of the eaves.. and a set under the eaves for wall wash effect.. maybe next year.. And I have 5 reels of 5050 RGB strips still to play with.. who knows, I may make up another set of strips to go on the eave face and have a set on the eaves, and a set under the eaves..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

• 1 year later...

Fry, I didnt get the clips, I went with the 3/4" conduit clamps (they look like a question mark) for the PEX pipe. I got several 20ct bags for the pipe mounting on the house.. was like $3/ea at HomeDepot.. used 5 for a 16' length of pipe. one at each end, the other 3 spaced evenly. For the wall-wash effect I want (to turn the house green for the Emerald City look), I zip-tied the strips (just snug, not tight) to the outside of the PEX (at solder pads only) and mounted them just under the eaves using the conduit clamps. I'm on a trip and get back home in the evening. I'll snap a couple pix in the morning and post how they are put up.

I might change the strips from the outside of the PEX to sliding them inside, to do "the CCR-style" lighting for Christmas, but would prob still use the conduit clamps this year. HD and Lowes didnt have anything other than the broom holders (nearly $7/ea). To do the CCR-style pipe, I'd have to get an order of the spring clamps I started searching for and screw them into the front face of the eaves.. and a set under the eaves for wall wash effect.. maybe next year.. And I have 5 reels of 5050 RGB strips still to play with.. who knows, I may make up another set of strips to go on the eave face and have a set on the eaves, and a set under the eaves..

Did you attach the lex to pvc and then use the clips

I am using 3M Command hooks to mount my 5050 strip to a gutterless eave (1/2" x 8" fascia board). They appear to work well and so far have survived a couple of heavy rains:

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Decorating-Clips-Clear-40-Clip/dp/B0084M67LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383148390&sr=8-1&keywords=command+decorating+hooks

I have place them every foot or so and although that's time-consuming, it is working and is strong enough to keep them there. For next year, I sure would like to find an easier system that does NOT require and screws, nails, or even the under-roof-tile style hooks - won't do that. Love what TJ has posted about using 3/4" thin-wall PEX drinking tube but still don't want to attach the clamps by screwing them into the eaves.

Bob

For a tiled roof I pressed up some 100x5 flat bar to the shape of the caping tile and then welded some 25x50 to that then placed them in spots on the roof then I screwd some 20x20 aluminium to that along the length of the roof and then cable tied my rope lights to that may sound a bit much but it works well and keeps the lights straight and then there is no screwing to the roof it all just sits there

Edited by Heffo

I personally looked at this link here in the forums and went the glazing tape route.  CCR's been up only a couple months but I hope to get a few years with them out in the elements.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26061-elegant-permanent-ccr-attachment-to-house/

I live in Oregon.  They have had rain, rain and more rain on them (September was wettest September of record) and then sunshine all of October.  We also had some good wind storms come through.  I thought for sure they were going to be dangling but nope....they were sitting there just as I attached them.