Light-O-Rama Forums

eBay FM Transmitter Any Good?

Arteom

I also thought that the EDM radios had a power range switch and an adjustment to vari the power within the range that the switch is in. Also EDM makes several radios. So, which one did you get. Where do you have it and what is around it. Heck I live on a slab and so my A.C. Heater is on the same level. I do have one spot out front where the signal fades. But I also bet is a direct line back through the heater to the transmitter. So, without knowing more about your installation and which model. Well it just hard to say what is going on. User error or installation error, or faulty equipment. Its all up for grabs when all you say is that you only get 150' and it has static. Savvy as my friend would say.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question guys, I want to order a 10db 50 ohm attenuator to make sure I get just enough signal for my display, and so I don't get in trouble with the guys in the black van...

#1 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-10dB-Attenuator-BNC-Connector-50-Ohm-1-2-watt-/350614298057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a23d9dc9

#2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Circuits-10-db-BNC-Attenuator-Model-CAT-10-50ohm-DC-1500Mhz-Used-/130766657293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e724cd70d

Or what's a better quality/ better Attenuator I can purchase for the same price?

UPDATE: I opened a paypal dispute with the seller after he failed to respond to numerous e-mails and got a refund; although I requested to only pay for the parts used to repair the unit, and a new audio cable, Oh well... props to eBay!

• 2 weeks later...

KLAYFISH

Did you buy the model you asked about.

http://www.ebay.com/...7#ht_7725wt_928

And does it work OK.

I mean at least 200-300ft OK reception?

Ta

Lou

Read the entire forum it describes everything. I did buy the transmitter and it works rather well. however it broadcasted too far so I had to buy an Attenuator to tone down the output.

If you are planning on buying a unit, buy an adjustable one or go for a (.1W) 100mW Unit...

Steven explanation (post #93) might be a bit cryptic, but helps.. tho few of us have a field/signal strength meter to measure the 250 microvolts at 3m, keeping the power output at 100milliwatts (or less) is a sure way to stay under the Feds radar (but carefully read the last paragraph). Even at 100mw, you may go farther than a couple hundred feet (average block length), as long as the actual measured strength is less than the 250mv @ 3m, you should be ok..

um, if your radio is mounted on the roof, you'd easily see a mile or so of range, but measured strength is the convicting (or exonerating) data you'd need.

With that said, the purpose of low-power radio is to provide close-in coverage of a house, office, building, etc. but locating it on the roof, while still using legal power, is not "really playing by the rules". 500'-600' or more may be unavoidable, but showing you're trying to comply with the provisions of Part 15 goes a long way in preventing (or mitigating) interference.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Arteom what attenuator did you buy? I'm at 100mw & still broadcasting about 600ft.

I bought a Mini Circuits brand 10DB Attenuator, Before I had around 1000'+ of range, right now I get around 150'(+-)

The best thing is, there is only around a 10' range from when you hear the music, and then its completely gone. Also there is no more bleed to the other stations, at all. Even though the neighboring stations are empty. I'm very happy how this turned out for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if I've got a defective transmitter here. I bought the Ebay one, model CZH-05B. Instructions on the Ebay site say to press and hold the power button 3 seconds in order to be able to change from .5W to .1W. But when I press and hold the power button, nothing happens...except it turns the transmitter off or on when I let go. Am I missing something?

Also, do I just go to WalMart or Radio Shack to get a cord to connect it to my computer? If so, which one do you guys use?

Wondering if I've got a defective transmitter here. I bought the Ebay one, model CZH-05B. Instructions on the Ebay site say to press and hold the power button 3 seconds in order to be able to change from .5W to .1W. But when I press and hold the power button, nothing happens...except it turns the transmitter off or on when I let go. Am I missing something?

Also, do I just go to WalMart or Radio Shack to get a cord to connect it to my computer? If so, which one do you guys use?

Its most likely a model that does not change frequencies, contact the seller and ask for a refund. If he does not respond within 7 days or he does not comply, open a claim with eBay. What kind of cable are you missing? Is it an audio jack cable, because it should have came with your transmitter?

I have the DAGCO CZH-05B that was mentioned a few times in this thread. The information that's in here is 1,000% valuable. I adjusted the audio to the specs given here, figured out I have a junk cable going from the PC to the transmitter, and I finally found a good station here in the saturated Richmond area based on the station that I got from a display about 10 minutes away and much closer to RIC airport and the national guard base. It's the emptiest station I have found yet. No clear stations around.

I get a nice clear signal with the audio cable disconnected and the range is acceptable. There are only about 5 houses in the area that my transmitter reaches anyway.

Thank you all very much for your input and advice.

I would vote to pick the informative posts out of this thread and make a stickied topic for FM transmitter tips and tricks.

Klayfish hold the power button down and plug into wall. Screen will come on and either say H or L. H is 500mW and L is 100mW. Use arrow up or down to switch.

I also bought the CZH 05B off Ebay. So far it works great. Transmits about 1 block from inside my basement garage.The only issue I have is that the frequency only goes to about 90.1 before going back to 79.0. Luckily I found a clear spot at 88.3. It seems like it became limited when I went through the power adjust procedure, wondering if I changed something else? It didn't come with a manual so who knows.

Klayfish hold the power button down and plug into wall. Screen will come on and either say H or L. H is 500mW and L is 100mW. Use arrow up or down to switch.

BIngo!! That worked. Thanks, now I have less concern about a van showing up as part of the crowd.