Light-O-Rama Forums

eBay FM Transmitter Any Good?

Arteom

Before the radio comes, start dialing around the FM band looking for a dead spot to use.. try to find a freq with at least 3-5khz of dead air on either side between stations.. ie: there are stations at 98.7, 99.1, 99.7, 100.7 and 101.1.. I'd pick 100.3 as its got more clear "real estate" between 99.7 and 100.7.. find a quiet area on the band, listen to that area for a bunch of days, afternoon, evening, night.. but be prepared to switch if a real station pops up.. happens not -that- often, but it happens.

For speakers, consider the older metal PC desktop versions.. there are over a dozen sets I see all the time in Goodwill, for real cheap, I dont think I've seen any over $5. Otherwise, find a set of powered (by ac or wallwart), place them in a zip-lock freezer bag (for weatherproofing) and hide them under your minitrees.. if you dont have any, then hide them behind something towards the front of the yard, so you dont have to turn the volume up too high.

TJ Havasta, thanks for the tips, but I'm all figured out, I was wondering for a real long time how Earth will I hide and protect the speakers, ( I will use cop speakers) I will build a box out of wood to fit the speakers, drill small holes for the sound to pass through, and paint it up all nice to make it look like a present, then make two smaller ones to accent it. I think it a genius idea if I do say so myself :)

You might want to check this one out:

http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A13QS7UJIEY0SF

It's $69.99¢, but don't know how long that price will stay, regular list price is: $199.99¢ and their normal price: $99.99¢

There are a lot of reviews, which all seem to be very favorable of this unit.

I don't own one myself, but from looking and reading the reviews, I'm seriously thinking of getting this one as a back up for my current MBB Eclipse 4000 I've been using for a few years now.

One day I'll get an EDM, but for now with limited cash flow, this one sounds pretty decent.

HUGE PROBLEM GUYS

So of course, like I always do, I buy something and then I begin researching. Within maybe 1.5 miels of my home I have an air base, not an airport, an air base. I called them they said they are permanently closed, however I still see military and government planes land and take of from there from time to time. After checking with people that have had experience with this exact fm transmitter they said it goes around 3/4 mile. This is not good... I only need it to transmit down my block. What can I do to lessen the strength of the signal or should I buy a new unit?

I should have listened to you TJ, I never thought a unit with only .5 watts can transmit so dam far, I don't want the big van with tinted windows and government plates with guys without any sense of humor showing up at my house ;)

Edited by Arteom

HUGE PROBLEM GUYS

So of course, like I always do, I buy something and then I begin researching. Within maybe 1.5 miels of my home I have an air base, not an airport, an air base. I called them they said they are permanently closed, however I still see military and government planes land and take of from there from time to time. After checking with people that have had experience with this exact fm transmitter they said it goes around 3/4 mile. This is not good... I only need it to transmit down my block. What can I do to lessen the strength of the signal or should I buy a new unit?

I should have listened to you TJ, I never thought a unit with only .5 watts can transmit so dam far, I don't want the big van with tinted windows and government plates with guys without any sense of humor showing up at my house ;)

This is what you will need to cut down the signal strength:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16547+TE

This is a 10db, 50-ohm attenutator, cost is $9.95¢ + Shipping, it is what I had to put on my Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 FM transmitter, as this thing was broadcasting when I first got it at a 5 mile radius! Definitely not good, but I was also on a very open and large lake at the time, which is why I think it was getting out so far.

I still use it to keep my signal down, although I've tested the transmitter without it after using it for 2 years and it doesn't go as far as it did originally, not even close to it now, without it I get about maybe 1/4 mile, and on a good day about 1/2 mile or slightly over, evening hours, it tends to transmit a little further on a good night, 3/4 mile, but with the attenuator installed at the link above, it keeps that down to no more than about a block around my current home or just slightly over on a clear night.

So this is what you need to cut that signal strength down to a shorter distance. It connects directly to the transmitter via the BNC connector, then your antenna connects to the other side of the attenuator.

Been using mine for over 2 years with this attenuator and thus far, no problems and I'm in the middle of 2 very active flight paths for 2 seperate airports!

Good Luck!

It has a high and low. I run mine at .1 and it can go about 3 city blocks. With a tunable antenna. Are you using a dipole antenna. I have a C.crane FM2 that we can workout a trade on if you want. I use it last year for my Halloween show. it can go transmit about 4 houses down.

It has a high and low. I run mine at .1 and it can go about 3 city blocks. With a tunable antenna. Are you using a dipole antenna. I have a C.crane FM2 that we can workout a trade on if you want. I use it last year for my Halloween show. it can go transmit about 4 houses down.

I am not sure if this unit has a High/Low option, can you guys take a look at it and see if it has an option o tone down the signal strength? I should have listened to TJ in the first place and got the .1W model.

This is the exact unit I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261014883652?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Wont a 10db attenuator still be much? I heard people using 3 & 5db attenuators, plus $10 is a-lot for such a small little thingy, cant I just wrap the transmitter in foil and shove it in my closet.

Edited by Arteom

It looks like it's not adjustable. .5 can send a signal a long way. You can try to broadcast out of your basement and point the tune-able antenna down. I would go to a local HAM radio place and see if you can find an attenuator there. Or try to return the unit.

First, do not collapse the antenna.. that will force the power into a mismatched antenna which can burn up the final transistor, then you wont have to worry about hearing it far.. No aluminum foil around it either.. either go with the attenuator, or try putting it in a closet (kidding).. you can try folding the antenna either flat, or pointing it down .. those are about the only things that will cut the amount of power out.. Look for Ham Radio Outlet online (or if yer in LA, there's one in Anaheim down the street from Disney). There are models of the chinese units that are .1w/.5w switchable.. To switch the power output, you'd push/hold the up or down freq button then turn it on.. but the unit has to have that as a feature.. yours prob doesnt..

You can try this.. others that say it goes 3/4mi (probably does).. find, set the freq you want to use.. plug it intoan ipod or something similar and start iy up.. go out in the car, drive around and see what your actual distance is.. you may get lucky.. I'd especially drive out towards the base and see what you get..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I am not sure if this unit has a High/Low option, can you guys take a look at it and see if it has an option o tone down the signal strength? I should have listened to TJ in the first place and got the .1W model.

This is the exact unit I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

Wont a 10db attenuator still be much? I heard people using 3 & 5db attenuators, plus $10 is a-lot for such a small little thingy, cant I just wrap the transmitter in foil and shove it in my closet.

Would you rather spend $10 on an Attenutor {and by the way THAT IS CHEAP!} or get a visit from the guys in black suits and a black van that could cost you thousands of dollars in fines? When I was looking for attenuators this was the cheapest one you can get and it works extremely well. When I searched for them, if you think $10 is too much, how about paying $50, $150 or even up to $5,000 for an attenuator of the same caliber? Believe me, I found them for those prices and even higher, so $10 was a mere pittance for what it has saved me in the way of broadcasting too far and possibly getting a visit from the FCC, which in turn could have cost me my entire display, home and a lot of other things, Fines start at around $10,000 on an FM Transmitter broadcasting too far and too high a signal strength.

So really, is $10 too much to pay? After all a controller costs a lot more than that, then your lights, software and even the transmitter is much higher, so what's $10 to protect your investment and everything else?

I bought one from the very site url I posted and it's kept me off the FCC's radar for 2+ years and if it weren't for the folks here telling me just what I told you, I'd be pressing my luck with a NON-certified FM Transmitter broadcasting way further than it need be.

And I use my transmitter 24/7 during the holiday periods of Halloween and Christmas and so far I haven't had any visits or complaints.

But it's your choice spend $10 on a small item that may keep you off the FCC radar, or try other things that may either burn up your transmitter, rendering it useless or worse, get a visit from your local FCC folks and possibly lose 100 times more than that little attenuator would cost you to maintain a lower signal strength.

Not tryig to rain on your display, but believe me, many of us have already been through this very discussion several times in the past and I'm just giving you the best advice on how to take care of your "HUGE PROBLEM" as you put it for the least amount of expense.

BTW: A 10db 50 ohm attenuator is what was recommended to me right here and from a fellow LOR Forum member who also works alongside the FCC. So 10db would be your best bet, you could try lower ones from that site I posted, but they WILL NOT cut the signal strength as well as the 10db unit, ESPECIALLY since you, like myself are NEAR and airfield!

Try this with the one you have, it -might- be able to go to low power: (remember this is translated from chinese)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmitting power can switch between at 0.1W/0.5W. (How to switch?

Press and hold the power switch button then plug in the power, when the LCD display L or H, then release the power button. By the buttons + and - to switch the transmitter power.)

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I will get the unit and test it out, see how far it goes.... I'm located in North Highlands, CA

will this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/10dB-50-ohm-DC-Pass-Inline-Attenuator-Pad-DLS-BNC-3310-Male-Female-Connector-/360483999558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ee854f46

I will get the unit and test it out, see how far it goes.... I'm located in North Highlands, CA

will this work? http://www.ebay.com/...=item53ee854f46

Yes, that should work. As long as the attenuator matches your transmitter and antenna connectors, which are usually BNC, that should work fine. BTW: Good find too.

Saw this response from EDM on another forum:

It is amazing how people that purchase these cheap Chinese transmitters think they are getting a bargain. They are cheap for a reason. The engineering standards are low or non-existent. Our attention was drawn to a transmitter sold on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

There are a lot of positive reviews, which may mislead most people. If you start to read between the lines you will find that many experience noise and hum as well as mediocre sound performance.

One person thought he got a good deal until he took it to his place of work where a technician put the unit on a spectrum analyzer.

"

By

BJ - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: 0.5 W Fail-Safe Long Range FM Transmitter - CZH-05B - WITH NEW HI (0.5W) LO (0.1W) (Electronics)

I recently bought the .5W fail-safe to use as a Hearing Assistance System. My first run was very successful with a Low output covering the entire facility. I bought several cheap FM radios ($6 - $10 range) and had mixed results. The digital tuning devices seemed to have more interference in my application but the analog tuning was very clean sounding. I am using them for church service with a mixture of spoken and singing (I am not transmitting instrument inputs at this time, just mic'ed vocal).

After listening to the service, I brought the transmitter to work where I have access to a frequency spectrum analyzer. The output (set to High) was direct coupled into the meter (50ohm load) and the graph showed the following: 87.7MHz (where I was tuned on the device) had an amplitude of 27.70dBm. There were also harmonic spikes at 175MHz (-4.6dBm), 268MHz (-11.4dBm), and 438MHz (-14.74dBm). My Radio Guy did some calculations on the output power for High power (27.7dBm = .589 Watts) and Low power (21.86 dBm = .153 Watts). These are perfect world numbers with no antenna loss. We did not have a test antenna designed for this frequency range, so measurement of my transmitter through air was not possible.

I am not a radio Guru, and I dont know all of the implications of this info, but wanted to share some data from test equipment that most would not have. I was given several attenuators (10dB, 20dB, 30dB) to take back to my church for reducing the signal to only cover the area needed. This should allow me to fine tune the signal to my application without interfering with others".

All these harmonic levels are very high and is a recipe for getting you into trouble with the authorities. Some of these frequencies are allocated to commercial and government agencies and they don't take very kind to someone causing interference on them. It is very easy for the government to pinpoint your location with the equipment available to them. Such a visit from the authorities seldom ends well. Apart from the risk of losing your equipment you may charged and fined a boat load of money. As a comparison, even running your EDM at 100mW full RF power, the harmonic at 175MHz will be at about - 60dBm or lower. Compare that to the -4.6dBm and it should be clear that this Chinese transmitter is putting out an unacceptable high signal in an illegal frequency band.

Many of these transmitters also have inferior specifications. For example: They quote signal to noise ratios around 50dB. All our transmitters make at least 70dB to better than 80dB for the Audiophile series. What this means is that you will have noisy background sounds during quiet passages of music, which can be annoying when listening to classical music. Some even quote audio distortion levels as high as 2%.

Be informed, warn your friends and remember you always get what you pay for!

EDM Team

I bought an unbranded .1/.5w that looks identical to the Daygo mentioned above. It works great in my book. On low power it reaches out a couple of blocks, on high it will carry over a mile. The stereo broadcast sounds as good as non-HD commercial stations, IMHO. I ran my "station" 24-7 for a few months (I know thats not recommended) and it performed like a champ. I'm looking forward to being able to turn off the speakers at 9 and still run my display until 11 or so without driving the neighbors nuts! Pretty good for about $70 all said.

I understand you get what you pay for, but I get what I get paid, I can't go around spending a-lot of money on simple things like FM transmitters, perhaps in the future I will receive an EDM, but today, literally I'm supposed to receive the transmitter today :) I will stick which what I can afford.

I will to a post and a few unboxing pics if you guys like.

Edited by Arteom

DO NOT BUY THE EBAY TRANSMITTERS!

I recived the transmitter today. It is extremely light (150 Grams) compact and looks like it will work, however it feels hollow, and cheap, which it is. The sound is just TERRIBLE, very static like on ALL channels I tested, and I tested all our FM radios on our cars, and even a radio that's built into an almost $3,000 stereo system, a-lot of static, even from 10 feet away. I have the .5W (500MW) Unit and I was afraid it was going to pull too far... it perhaps pulls 500 feet, maybe 6 blocks, which Is perfect for me, but again you can barley hear any music just static and junk.

The transmitter gets extremely hot, so it probably wont last long, buttons on it are cheap, antenna cheap, power supply cheap, everything is just cheap, then again its China right? :P

I suppose this happens to every newbie, we don't listen to others. Now I will, I am in the market for an EDM....

To sum up my experience with this transmitter? Simple,

"...a waste of time, effort..."

I suppose this happens to every newbie, we don't listen to others. Now I will, I am in the market for an EDM....

Just remember, the guys that have been around for a long time were once newbies also, and we post and recommend from hands on real world experience.

Sorry you wasted your money, hope you can get a refund.

(EDM user forever)