Light-O-Rama Forums

Pipe or tubing for CCR/CCP

csimmon5

I am looking for some type of pipe or tubing to put my CCR or CCB in. I want to still be able to see the light well. I have looked at some clear tubing but was hoping for something more rigid so i wouldn't have to brace it using pvc pipe. Anyone done this already or have any suggestions?

But how long does it last in the sunlight? I can't find PEX that is UV resistant.

I honestly have no clue, but if the pipe is in direct sun light maybe something like this will work...

Krylon Paint

• UV-Resistant Clear Coating protects your artwork from harmful UV light rays. This specialized coating is made for use on artwork that is outside or near windows to protect against fading. For a greater variety of finishes, the UV-Resistant Clear Coatings are available in both gloss and matte finishes.

I've been looking at something I think might work for you. In the lighting department of most big box stores, like H.D. they have clear plastic tubes to protect florescent light bulbs. They're 8 feet long, and 1.5 in or so in dia. They run about 4-5 dollars a piece.

I went to Lowes and got a 5 foot length of pex tube and tested it out with a ccr, it looks pretty cool. We are going to use it to do 6 mini arches.

How did you go about mounting the CCR inside the tube? what keeps it from moving around?

John (and others).. went to Lowes and HD today looking for the PEX.. found it, by name at Lowes, called Vanguard.. $4.98/10' length by 3/4". Found the same pipe at HD, under product name Sharkbite in the irrigation (lawn sprinkler) section. I bought one of each for testing. slipped a roll of 5050 RGB strips into each, in a darkend garage.. the HD tube was a bit brighter and the inside was smoother, as the tape backer (sticky side) slid in and out of the tubing easier. And the HD pipe was a tad wider inside than the Lowes piece. Both were the same cost for the 3/4" size. Only Lowes had the 1" but it was double the price, $10 for 10'.

I'm going with the HD pipe as its brighter, same price. I'll have to find butt connectors to join the 10' sections together. The front of the house faces north, so it's not in direct sunlight. It'll be up from Halloween to Jan 7th, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. I can easily see it'll likely bow with the daytime heat, so it'll have to be fixed to the front of the eaves in many places.

One thing you will see, is that the tubing will be noticably darker if the CCR/RGB strip twists inside, pointing not to the front, so I'm thinking, I'll slide it in, pulling it (gently) tight and peeling off the first & last couple inches of the sticky tape cover, pressing it into the tube, so it's "aimed" to the front.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Hey TJ, just a thought but if you secure the ends I"m thinking the middle may want to "settle down" and end up facing up or at an angle in the tube with gravity working against you. Maybe you could run a pin on the back side of the PEX at various spots to help keep the CCR pointing forward and not at an angle. Just a thought.

Possibly.. If the strip is zipped to the outside, you wouldnt have to worry abt twist.. I'll be trying it shortly to mount in abt a month..

• The topic was locked