Light-O-Rama Forums

Arch Building

Maine Lights

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is making progress with there Halloween and Christmas displays. I have a few questions about leaping arches. I have looked over many threads about arches and have decided to build mine out of grey electrical conduit. Has anyone had much success building them this way and if so what diameter did you use. Also what did you use to connect multiple lengths with, the slip connections or a coupling? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

The grey electrical conduit has a formed bell at one end on 10ft lengths to join more pipe. I use 3/4" for my 4-10ft arches.

Maine, if you havent seen them already (or arrrre just reeeeally in the mood to do a continious wrap), consider making sleeved arches. Using a 1/2" by x' long pvc support pipe, wrap each set of lights on 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" by 12"(-ish) sleeves, slide those over the 1/2" support pipe. Put rebar in the ground, slip the support pipe over the rebar and plug the lights in. Making sleeves, allows you to quickly, swap out a bad section, or change colors. and a BIG PLUS, you do not have to work with an unweildy 10' long pipe.

If you want to use the grey pipe, then just go with a larger diam sleeve. Wrap a set, zip-tie each end so they dont slip off the sleeve.

This is the guy that started the Sleeve Craze..

http://forums.planet...to-make-arches/

post-4454-0-50866700-1344826130_thumb.jp

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

I think if you want the continuous arches, using the gray electrical conduit is best. I use 2 10' pipes for one arch. I sand down the end that fits into the bell mating, then use a little vaseline to assist with inserting and extraction. I have also read where you can cut a slot starting on the end and cutting down an inch or so also accomplished the same thing and does not harm the integrity of the pipe.

I use 1 1/4" for mine. Plenty of stability and not flimsy.

My big arches are made of two 10' sections of 1" gray electrical conduit. Like Mark I use Vaseline on the preformed coupling. Even with the Vaseline we have to give the pipes a twist to get them apart after the season.

I hand wrapped my big arches and it was a PITA. I made arch the sleeves TJ referenced for my mini arches this year. It was a lot easier. I’m hoping I like the way they look in the yard.

I have 5 arches, 7 channels each and can store it all, with extra sleeves in one tupperware container. Not much storage space used up.

Edited by shfr26

Another vote for sleeved arches. Did my first two last year following TJ's posts. Easy to do, and looks great.

When I wrapped my sleeves, I ran the loops tight, and ended up with 11" sleeves (entirely dependent on string length and bulb spacing), if you wrap more loosely, you can make the sleeves as long as you desire if you want larger arches. I used 100ct strings, but if you want longer sleeves, you could use two 70ct (for 140 bulbs) per sleeve. You could also wrap several color strings per sleeve for color changing chases.. If you use "Super Strings", seperate RGB strings braided together, wrapped on a sleeve, you could have the arch bounce one direction in one color, bounce back in another.. just a couple ideas for the "Harbs Sleeve" builds.

Maine, if you havent seen them already (or arrrre just reeeeally in the mood to do a continious wrap), consider making sleeved arches. Using a 1/2" by x' long pvc support pipe, wrap each set of lights on 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" by 12"(-ish) sleeves, slide those over the 1/2" support pipe. Put rebar in the ground, slip the support pipe over the rebar and plug the lights in. Making sleeves, allows you to quickly, swap out a bad section, or change colors. and a BIG PLUS, you do not have to work with an unweildy 10' long pipe.

If you want to use the grey pipe, then just go with a larger diam sleeve. Wrap a set, zip-tie each end so they dont slip off the sleeve.

This is the guy that started the Sleeve Craze..

http://forums.planet...to-make-arches/

TJ, I cant open these files.I think this is going to be the way to go. The only question I have is are the arches segmented? Ok maybe 2 questions. Are you using black sprinkler pipe for the sleeves. I am not clear on what to do.

With the cost of RGB pixel strings and stips down you may want to consider DMX controlled archs (many many more options), Example: you can build a 7 section 16 foot arch about $60.00 (including strip, controllers and power supply) using dumb strips (assumming you already have dmx dongle). I built (2) 9 foot arch's with marty fans for about $200.00. With the price drops and new controllers as well as E1.31 support incondecents as well as LED strings are quickly becomming less desirable or economical.

10' 3/4" grey pvc. Spend the money on LEDs. I find 8 channels work best (match your mega tree action)

I've built 80+ arches this way and I would build another 80 this way. Cut the top off a 1" pvc tee to form a saddle for center support. Zip tie pvc center post w/saddle to a green garden fencing post.

With the cost of RGB pixel strings and stips down you may want to consider DMX controlled archs (many many more options), Example: you can build a 7 section 16 foot arch about $60.00 (including strip, controllers and power supply) using dumb strips (assumming you already have dmx dongle). I built (2) 9 foot arch's with marty fans for about $200.00. With the price drops and new controllers as well as E1.31 support incondecents as well as LED strings are quickly becomming less desirable or economical.

I would like to do mix things up a little but iam not a light king yet! Dont know much about DMX.What is DMX dongle?With the DMX can you controll each of the colors?

TJ, I cant open these files.I think this is going to be the way to go. The only question I have is are the arches segmented? Ok maybe 2 questions. Are you using black sprinkler pipe for the sleeves. I am not clear on what to do.

Its not a file, its a website, just left click on it, go to that page. You'll have to register to be able to see all the pix on each page. Register, look thru the Arches Of Lights topic, there is a wonderful world of info there!

Forget abt DMX and pixels, you will VERY quickly get in over your head, and at this point in the year, you will -not- get anything done by Thanksgiving.

I'm using 1 1/2" schedule40 pvc for the sleeves (they are 11" long), and 1/2" support pipe, (7' long). Gives me an arch abt 3' tall, 6' spread.

1/2" x 10' sched40 pvc, $2

1 1/2" x 10' (irrigation) sched40 pvc, cut into 12' sleeves, (sleeve length are string length and spacing dependant), $4

8 sets of incandescent minis, $16

1/4" x 4' rebar for anchoring (per arch), cut into 2' lengths, $3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total cost per arch, $25

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Guest Don Gillespie

Its not a file, its a website, just left click on it, go to that page. You'll have to register to be able to see all the pix on each page. Register, look thru the Arches Of Lights topic, there is a wonderful world of info there!

Forget abt DMX and pixels, you will VERY quickly get in over your head, and at this point in the year, you will -not- get anything done by Thanksgiving.

I'm using 1 1/2" schedule40 pvc for the sleeves (they are 11" long), and 1/2" support pipe, (7' long). Gives me an arch abt 3' tall, 6' spread.

1 1/2" x 10' (irrigation) sched40 pvc, cut into 12' sleeves, (sleeve length are string length and spacing dependant), $4

Total cost per arch, $25

I like your breakdown the other thing you could do if you are on a really tight budget is contact a plumber and ask if they have any scrap peices left over of 1 1/2 pvc pipe, the 10 foot 1/2 pipe is something you would need to buy anyways, I have used the sleeve method and I use 7 segments as I like my arch to be rise to the top meaning when the lights start at each end they end at the top just my preference.

Thanks Don.. that's one thing I've been doing is trying to fix a close price on props, so newbies get a real sense how much its going to cost them. I figure a 6'-7' long, 3' tall, 700-800 mini incand (either 7 or 8 channel) arch is $25-$30 . A MegaTree is $100-$150, depending on number of incand strings. Mintree, with 600 RGB incands and garland, abt $25.

Each year the wife and I total up what the holiday costs us.. not electricity, but prop building as each year is a different theme. Well, I've started figuring the costs beforehand to get a better handle on what we can and cant do, cost-wise..

This year's Halloween is Wizard of Oz, Zombie (or skeleton) style. Christmas is Polar Express, with a large steam-spewing locomotive in the yard, and Santa's Workshop alongside.. I've got to figure the cost for plywood for the toyshop, and 3D train..

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

Total cost per arch, $25

Thanks TJ, do the 1 1/2" irrigation pipe comform to the 1/2" ? Its a big concern of mine that the arch is going to look good!

I used 1 1/2" sched40 pvc for my sleeves, and they were each only 11" long for the way I wrapped (tightly), so I dont know how big the thinwalled irrigation tubing can go, tho many on here use it. As it's more flexible, it'll bow(curve) more naturally with the 1/2" support pipe. If your support arch is longer than 8' (or 10') length, you'll have to use some type of coupler to join the two sections together, will the irrigation pipe fit over it?

My 11" sleeves, at 13'-15' from the sidewalk, do not look "segmented" (hard angles) as they flow, as they're generally shorter than other builders 16" sleeves, so it doesnt look "octagonal". Get a length of each, wrap, cut, slide and see how it looks. I have also seen some arches with 4" clothes dryer ducting over them, making a large leaping tube, the effect looks cool.

Remember too, as for looking good, is there anyone else in your neighborhood doing arches? The public doesnt know what an arch is supposed to look like. You do (well, you've seen ours).. If you like the ones you build, then the public will too.

This is my arch test, done with the 11" sleeves, over the 1/2" support pipe I'm standing 2'-3' from them:

Edited by TJ Hvasta

TJ,Thank you for all of your help,time and patience!! I would just like to tell you, if I went and done this myself,it would of been FU.BAR!Sometimes I just need to make sure..Thanks again Bill

Guest Don Gillespie

Each year the wife and I total up what the holiday costs us.. not electricity, but prop building as each year is a different theme. Well, I've started figuring the costs beforehand to get a better handle on what we can and cant do, cost-wise..

Prop building costs plus Crown Royal costs, plus Electricity costs = ah I can't add all the crown royal costs up its way too much LOL

• Like 1