Light-O-Rama Forums

using a Video projector with LOR software

HallowXmas

How do you set up a video file with LOR software. So it will sink up with the show. I want to use a video file and the audio of such video and program all together for a show it also will control the Lights outside with the video. any help or a how to video if anyone has seen one out there would be nice. thanks

I did a lot of new video for this year as I wanted to include the Virtual Santa in my display. First I converted my Virtual Santa DVD to a WMV file this way I can run it right in my show Editor on LOR and it will run when I want it to. If you want you can just purchase Virtual Santa as a file and not the DVD.

Secondly, I wanted to run video in my show along with some songs so I converted You tube video's to WMV file and just used my sequnces from last year. I had to adjust the timming a bit but got it all to work. There are a few things you will need to do. Here is what I did.

1) get yourself a good projector..I'd say at least 2000 lumens

2) convert your files to WMV or some other type of video file. There is plenty of free applications to use to do this. I used "freemaker"

3) Seach on here for Video. I found plenty of subjects for this.

4) you will need to understand that you run your pc to projector by HDMI/S-video or VGI and that depending on what windows you use you will need to mirror your monitor or have a video card that will allow to run both Projector and desktop at the same time. I mirror mine.

5) You will run across little things such as when you run your show editor and place your video files in along with your audio files, when a video file finishes you will always have a little window in the upper corner of your desktop that last for about 2 seconnds. For me , I have accepted it some don't like it but not sure if there is a fix for that.

6) Search...search...search...there is plenty of information already out here...

Eddie Z

• Like 1

Thanks all for the info. I just started to search for info on this. so any info is good info

Also as a note, if you are going to mirror your desktop for your projector output, change your desktop background to solid black, because when you aren't playing a video, it will project whatever your desktop background is.

Good point, I actually just loaded a Chrsitmas background on mine but yes I see that some also go solid Black.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just getting started with LOR and was wondering, if the projector has a digital on/off button which must be triggered every time, how do you bypass that switch to allow LOR to turn the projector on/off with the show? As it is now, if you were to basically unplug the projector and plug it back in, you would have to click the button every time to turn it back on.

Any help would be great.

I am working on re-creating the marble busts from Disney's Haunted Mansion.

I'm just getting started with LOR and was wondering, if the projector has a digital on/off button which must be triggered every time, how do you bypass that switch to allow LOR to turn the projector on/off with the show? As it is now, if you were to basically unplug the projector and plug it back in, you would have to click the button every time to turn it back on.

Any help would be great.

I am working on re-creating the marble busts from Disney's Haunted Mansion.

I should also note, the projector only has a/v output.

Many of the Epson projectors can be set to power on when plugged in and don't have a cool down time. Worked great for me on a basic light timer last year.

I will be leaving my projector on while the show is running. I have 6 videos that run in the beggining of the show and my show last for about 60 minutes. So after the videos are done I'll shut off the Projector and then turn it back on for the repeat show.

• 2 months later...

i have a nvidia dual monitor card with two monitors running ultramon dual monitor software - when i unplug my one monitor and plug in my projector, i loose everything. any suggestion? i thank you in advance for your assistance.

i have a nvidia dual monitor card with two monitors running ultramon dual monitor software - when i unplug my one monitor and plug in my projector, i loose everything. any suggestion? i thank you in advance for your assistance.

Could you clarify what you mean by "loose everything"? Do you mean the video card becomes loose?

• 10 months later...

Got a quick question.  For me my video is only about 15 minutes and I want it to repeat.   I'm editing the video now to WMV so I can edit in the light aniumation but is there any issue with running the video through the projector and then the audio to a speaker system?   I'm only one year into my light o rama kit and I've only run audio with the same laptop in control.   I'm hoping to get the one laptop to control the animation and lighting at the same time.

texmaster

on my set up i have the computer run the show and it is pluged in to the projector though VGA and the audio is going to a FM transmiter for the sound. the only problem i have had was getting some feedback noise on the sound card from the computer. i fixed it buy getting a usb external sound card and fixed the high pich noise that i was getting. Also when you run your show have your backdrop on the pc set to all black and have no file folder on it. and set you window tool bar to hide as well. only if you have any sequinses without  video on them. when you start your show you may have to expand you video to the hole screen to get it to fill up the projected location.

if i understand correctly. you have the power on when you do this. your risking dammaging your nvidia card with the power on. You should shut douwn the computer then plug in your projector to one of the video ports. if the projector dose not detect automatikly hit the window key on the bottom of your keyboard on the left and the P this should link it.If your useing windows. I hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Let me add to this about the monitor issue...I've had a similar problem with a dual port DVI monitor going through a KVM switch, therefore losing the second monitor when switching to a different computer system. This was a case of EDID data not being saved by the computer being disconnected from the monitor. Most video card setup programs have a check box for EDID data that needs to be turned on. If your's doesn't have this as mine didn't, it might be that you need an EDID emmulator which costs about $45. It certainly solved my issue instantly.

• 1 month later...

super argent question!!   How do I keep the video in full screen when in show mode?   Every time I repeat it shrinks back down and I have to manually tell it again to go back to full screen

It sounds like you're running 2 monitors and want use the video from the second monitor for the projector. Use a splitter so the second video output from the computer goes to the splitter and then 2 outputs from the splitter with one to your 2nd monitor and the other to the projector.