Light-O-Rama Forums

Error 01-BOOTLOADER-PC-V2 for

Denis Chaput

When my PC-16 controller is hooked up to computer, light is flashing slow no changes to light flashing when connected to computer or not.When I refresh the hardware utility I get 01-BOOTLOADER-PC-V2 for unit and status light still flashing,I cannot change the unit I.D..

This a new unit purchased last year never used.

Start with a board reset, found here.. http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html

scroll down, chose the board type you have, click on the Troubleshoot button for your board.. follow the steps..

CTB-16PC kit: http://www.lightoram...oting_Guide.pdf

Once you reset the board, try the HU by itself.. if it opens with no troubles, then connect the controller, let us know what it shows.

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

If the above does not make any change, it sounds like you may have one that slipped out the door without the firmware being installed. You should be able to use the hardware utility to install the firmware onto it, then continue as normal.

• Like 2

Thanks Guys

Did a reset again nothing happened,found the proper firmware for this version of PC controller CTB16PC-V2 download to controller everything came up fine.

Your help was greatly appreciated!!

Thanks klb,

Was thinking that if it does not have any firmware, how are you going to get it to take or download firmware? Lots of things wont allow you to do that at home. Have to send it in to factory.

Glad that is not the case with these controllers. Good to know, thanks again.

In general, when flashing firmware to a device, you have 2 separate code paths. One is the bootloader, the other is the actual code that runs the device.

The job of the bootloader is to look to see if the actual code has been written, if that code is not corrupted, and if there is no current request to update firmware. If any of those things are FALSE, the bootloader stays in 'bootloader' mode. That is to say it will sit there waiting for you to update the actual code. If all 3 are TRUE (Code is there, it's not corrupted, and we are not asking to update), the bootloader passes control off to the 'actual' code and the device 'boots'.

In general, bootloader code is stored in a ROM or in a Write Once area of EEPROM. That means even if the 'actual' code is some how corrupted, the bootloader code can not be touched/corrupted/changed. That should mean that a device always 'fails safe' from a firmware problem, allowing you to update it again.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was getting the same error on the same controller.  I found that I was up to date on the firmware so I decided to reseat the PCI (??) chip that I read about on other threads.  That did the trick.  This was on a year old  controller that had not been used.  Good luck.  This was very confusing.

What do you do if the firmware accidently got changed while hooked up to a computer? My son got ahold of my computer while hooked up to the show and I believe he changed the firmware. Now that controller and all controllers after it are not found on the system.

Here is the link to the page on the lor website  http://www1.lightorama/firmware-updates  It should give you instructions where to download to and then on the hardware utility, there is a firmware button.  In reading they were very specific about only having one controller hooked up at a time.  I did not actually update my firmware so I am not exactly sure how the procedure goes.

Okay I did this and I am still having problems so that wasn't the issue. Now Hardware is only able to locate the first controller in the chain. I have checked all controllers by hooking them up independently and they are found, have updated firmware on all, and replaced all the cat5e cables but still do not get more than the first controller to register. Am I doing something wrong here? I was able to find all controllers until yesterday and now this is happening.

I was having similar problems where I would find 9 controllers or 1.  It seemed to be different every time I did a refresh.  If you google "lightorama controller problem" you may find some information that is helpful.  What worked for me was pulling the 8 pin chip (with the power off) to the left and just below the cat5 inputs.  Don't know why it worked but it did.  Also, there are some threads that tell you how to reset the controller.  If you don't have any luck with these, I would contact LOR.  Time is running short.

If your cables really are all good, a bad RJ45 jack, or a bad com chip are the next two culprits I have experienced. But a reset never hurts to try.