Light-O-Rama Forums

Little DMX help Please

bhasse

Yes, you will have 2. One for DMX and one for LOR. Plug one in at a time, refer to the Network preferences to see what the ID is on the dongle. Mark it with tape right on it so you know which one is which. Just make sure one is set up for a DMX Universe, the other will be for LOR, and yes with both hooked up, they will be assigned 2 separate Comm Ports.

Well i'm also having the same problems that Bhasse is having, I can control he lights in xlights using my dongle that came with my lor controller, but when i try to control them with lor s3 they wont work. i only have one dongle because when I ordered the floods I did not understand that I needed another. Can i make a usb dongle that will work for holiday coro dmx controller? His looks like usb to cat5 or is there more to it and i have to buy one? So is the reason they won't work in s3 because I can't hook up the controller at the same time as the floods? Thanks in advance for any help!

digitalfreeloaders,

In my case it seems the issue is the Holiday Coro dongle that was causing the problems. The dongle works just fine for programming the DMX controllers but does not seem to work with S3. I tested my DMX controllers using my LOR USB485B and they work, I just had to shift my channel assignments by one within S3. I still intend to use the Holiday Coro dongle for progamming the DMX contollers but nothing beyond that. I ordered a second LOR USB485B to use for my DMX universe. If you plan to use the LOR adapter though, you will need to make or purchase a conversion cat5 cable since the standard DMX signal is sent on pins 1 + 2 and in LOR it is sent on pins 4 + 5.

Thanks for the clarification bhasse, glad you got yours to work I will just order the usb485 and go from there.

thanks again,

Jim

The Holiday Coro dongle is not supported by LOR. If there are issues they will not help you. Save yourself the headache and use the fully supported DMX dongles that LOR recommends.

By the way does anyone have a extra lor usb 485 dongle they might what to sell, I'm afraid to buy thought lor because of the backed up orders, And becacause of being new to rgb it might take me a while to get the hang of using it ,We well pay with paypal .

Thank Jim

I just placed an order for a USB485B from Light O Rama on 08-18-12 and it shipped today with a scheduled delivery date of 08-23-12 so I don't think you wil have any big delays if you place an order.

I know most attempt to remain within budgets, but IMHO a USB dongle, or even a DMX dongle is something everyone should keep a spare on hand. I for one have had a USB dongle fail. Fortunately it failed during the summer as I was prepping for my Expo presentaion last year. The spares also allow for testing in situations like this as well. My dos centavos.

Ya you are sure right about that ZMAN I should of had ordered and extra one for backup. And like Bhasse said maybe it won't take to long to get here And a new one will be better than old one Thanks Guy for the help

Thanks Jim

Well good news, I'm Sure u all now how wonderful the LOR team is, But they went above & beyond. I emailed them and explained the my situation and they hooked me up with the usb 485 and just going to add it to my order with no extra shipping cost plus gave me the sale price to help me out So cool!!!!

Wow. Read this twice. A lot to take in for someone who knows nothing about "DMX" but I think more of the pieces are coming together. I'm hopping to meet up with a local LOR fan to get a one on one. I would love to "see" how it all works. Now I'm getting very excited. All programming has been done for this year, but to add a few ccrs. That I think we can do.

Great wisdom from all of you. Again I say. This website teaching me something new every day.

• 1 month later...

1. Please bear with me I'm fairly new at all this (just bought my 1st lor this year and trying to add something similar to the holiday RGB corostar (plymouth lights North Poles). I have LOR S3 Advanced with a rs485b adapter and a holiday coro dongle to program the individule modules. As I understand it from reading this all I need now is another rs485b and a cat5 crossover cable (to move the pinouts) to controle my RGB LED North Poles correct ? I don't need the IDMX correct ? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cobra,

That's what I have and it works, except I am using a USB485 and not a USB485b. I too have a controller from holidaycoro and have it connected to a cross-over adapter I purchased from Seasonal Entertainment to a USB485 and it works like a charm with S3 Advanced!

Tim

That's what I thought Tim, Thanks. As far as the crossover goes I already planned on making it as I made all the wiring for my poles and it looks pretty simple. One more question the rs485 b has 2 cat 5 jacks out, from what i'm getting they just duplicate each other and don't act like they are on seperate channels correct ?

Cobra,

I would assume that is correct. Since I have not used one, I'm not 100% positive but I can't imagine the two ports would act as seperate networks. So I'd go with your thinking that it's all one network. Just my 2 cents.....

That's what I thought Tim, Thanks. As far as the crossover goes I already planned on making it as I made all the wiring for my poles and it looks pretty simple. One more question the rs485 b has 2 cat 5 jacks out, from what i'm getting they just duplicate each other and don't act like they are on seperate channels correct ?

Yes, they are wired in parallel. They allow the USB adapter to be in the middle of the network, with one leg of controllers off one port, and another leg of controllers off the other port, but both on one network.