Light-O-Rama Forums

Little DMX help Please

bhasse

Having problems getting my HolidayCoro RGB flood light to work with LOR 3.7.0.

Not sure if this has anything to due with HolidayCoro's DMX controller having the newer firmware - HolidayCoro's new software to program the DMX controller won't be out till Oct. 8th but from what I can tell the DMX controller has address 1 from the factory since I can test it with xlights.

The HolidayCoro usb cable seems to work with xlights to test the lights but playing a LOR sequence in xlights doesn't work. The cable doesn't work in LOR at all (as some have stated below)

I tried using a LOR usb485 cable with a crossover cable I made (pins 4 to 1 and 5 to 2...no other wires connected since I use the other wires to carry 12v power as suggested by HolidayCoro) but I still can't get xlights or LOR to control the flood while playing a sequence. Again, xlights will test the flood ok with this setup. I also tried changing the address in the LOR sequence to 2,3,4 (+1) and still no control.

I can't believe this is so difficult...I must be missing something really easy...any suggestions? :(

Craig

Craig,

Just wondering......did you go to Edit --> Preferences --> Network Preferences --> DMX and make sure you have the adapter selected (in Sequence Editor)? If you do, then maybe it is something from the HolidayCoro side until the new software gets released. I had similar issues when I was trying to get my HolidayCoro star setup a few weeks ago. Hang in there, it will work!!

Tim

Edited by Tim

Having problems getting my HolidayCoro RGB flood light to work with LOR 3.7.0.

Not sure if this has anything to due with HolidayCoro's DMX controller having the newer firmware - HolidayCoro's new software to program the DMX controller won't be out till Oct. 8th but from what I can tell the DMX controller has address 1 from the factory since I can test it with xlights.

The HolidayCoro usb cable seems to work with xlights to test the lights but playing a LOR sequence in xlights doesn't work. The cable doesn't work in LOR at all (as some have stated below)

I tried using a LOR usb485 cable with a crossover cable I made (pins 4 to 1 and 5 to 2...no other wires connected since I use the other wires to carry 12v power as suggested by HolidayCoro) but I still can't get xlights or LOR to control the flood while playing a sequence. Again, xlights will test the flood ok with this setup. I also tried changing the address in the LOR sequence to 2,3,4 (+1) and still no control.

I can't believe this is so difficult...I must be missing something really easy...any suggestions? :(

Craig

Just a newbie with dmx here and probably not qualified to help but am running the same software and using the same hc floods as well, did you open the control panel while you where trying to control them?? Without the control panel turned on to activate the listener it won't work. with LOR You probably know this but wanted to help, I made that mistake. Totally get the must be missing something really easy feeling!! :)

Hey Tim,

Yes, I believe I have the network setting right - using com4 for DMX...set to rawdata and the adapter shows up as A8008faW. Maybe I can stop over and check your setup out if you have some time this weekend - email me.

Yes, I have the control panel running and do see the listening window.

One thing I have noticed is in LOR sequencer when I try to play a sequence - under the Play tab I have checked "Control Lights" but it unchecks when I play the sequence - I have to keep re-checking that option under Play.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

wow some interesting stuff here.. I do have a Q upon reading I am faced with a few options if I am correct I can either purchase another USB485 cable and rs485 adapter or just purchase a USB485 cable and make a crossover cable. Is this correct? If I make another crossover which color wires are assigned to which pins?

Edited by zanclus

• 4 weeks later...

post-2377-0-77820500-1352864966_thumb.jp

So I'm new in adding DMX to my existing LOR Network. Is this picture a good representation of the setup? I know I need the "cable" for the correct output from the usb485 to the rgb controllers and I have S3 Advanced. I know the pic is basic but just need the reasuance that this is correct? Thanks in advance!

I have done some more testing and found out some interesting things. It seems the LOR software will not function properly (control DMX lights, etc.) if you don't have all usb adapters (LOR network and DMX network) connected. In addition, you need to have at least one LOR controller on the LOR network. Once I had everything connected properly the LOR software worked just fine.

Craig

Jeff,

Yes your picture is correct. If you are using a LOR usb485 for your DMX network you need to make a special cable. LOR software by default sends DMX out on pins 5 and 6 but the DMX standard is pins 1 and 2. So you need a cable that converts pins 5 and 6 to 1 and 2.

Craig

ok, i am so confused about all of this. lol i have read and read again all of these posts about DMX and i am still not getting it. assuming i order a strip of leds that will have 4 wires coming off the end, Red, Blue Green and Black. i now need someone to explain what i need to hook it eith my LOR controller or my show computer. i have read about 6 different connectors and adaptors and i have no idea what i would need. i would like to go the cheapest route possible since i am just begining to tinker with DMX and RGB.

Kissfan4,

The 4 wires (Red, Blue, Green, Black) need to be connected to some kind of DMX controller. You need to have two separate networks - 1 for LOR and 1 for DMX. Each network needs it's own connection to you computer via a LOR usb485.

Craig

ok so let me see if i have this right, from my show computer i would have one usb running through the usb485 adaptor, the one i got when i ordered my LOR controller, out of the adaptor is my ethernet cable running to the controller. Then on the DMX side, i would need a usb running to another usb485 adaptor? and i would need a controller like this one? http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70303&show=description or http://www.holidaycoro.com/3-Channel-DMX-RGB-Controller-p/26.htm? if so how do i go about connecting the (Red, Blue, Green, Black) wires? what type of connector?

Kissfan4,

I can't tell you what kind of DMX controller to use (that's your personal preference) but I am using the holidaycoro one's that you posted. The reason I am using those DMX controllers (from holidaycoro) is that they are inexpensive. Watch the video's in the link from Jeff140 and you will have all the info you need.

Craig

Zanclaus,

With reguards to making a cross over cable - which colored pair of wires depends on the cable that you are using. I have seen the orange pair on pins 1 and 2 on some cables as well as the green pair on pins 1 and 2. I am somewhat color blind so it is very difficult for me tell the different colors. I use an ohm metter to test which pins are what colors. Typically I cut the cable in half, then find what color is pin 4 and 1 and connect those two together. Then do the same for pins 5 and 2. I don't connect any other wires just incase you are running power (for your RGBs) on the cable as well - you don't want to fry your usb port or usb485 by accidently back feeding it with the power from your RBG power source.

Craig

so even after watching those videos i still have a few questions, which one of the controllers will work for intelligent rgb's? from what i have seen i will need the enttec, as the holiday coros one will only allow the red blue green and not the mixing of colors. is this the case?

Kissfan4,

Currently I am only doing basic RGB with the controllers from Holidaycoro. I can't recommend any other controllers since I haved used anything else although I have heard good things about the E682 controllers from SanDevices (link below). Maybe someone else here with more experience can recommend something.

http://www.sandevices.com/E681info.html

Craig

Yea I understand the difference in the LEDs "dumb" will only change between the 3 colors and white, intelligent come where either each led has a microchip or every 3. The problem I am having is which controller will do the intelligent rgb

Yea I understand the difference in the LEDs "dumb" will only change between the 3 colors and white, intelligent come where either each led has a microchip or every 3. The problem I am having is which controller will do the intelligent rgb

Not exactly.... "dumb" can do the same colors as "smart" with the right controller.. the difference is the "dumb" controls the entire string or strip as a single color all at once. The "smart" are controllable per pixel on a given string or strip.

Edited by plasmadrive