Light-O-Rama Forums

Is the light o rama system the best?

potash man

even before i got bit by the LOR bug and i was doing statics i found a need for more or replacement cords :P

the only gotcha any of us has found is that no matter how many extension cords we have we end up needing more!!

more is always better, unless you're talking taxes!!! :D

one thing I noticed,you stated that you are looking at the pc series controller,be aware those are not ul listed,and may cause a problem doing a dislplay where the public is invoved.

yes sir i was going with the pc series but i am now going with the pro series not a lot of extra cost with sale. i don't want to send Jesus any early birthday presents by accident....or on purpose for that matter.

i think my biggest fear is that someone is going to walk off with this stuff since it's going to be in the city park along the river bank. i'm told there is security i guess we'll see.

Edited by potash man

i think my biggest fear is that someone is going to walk off with this stuff since it's going to be in the city park along the river bank. i'm told there is security i guess we'll see.

Potash,

I had a public display with over 20 controllers. I had a way to chain and lock each controller to something (a tree, bridge, light pole, railing). I didn't have any problems.

A good start is to secure those controllers. Although venues vary in security. At least make them fight for it. If they want it bad enough, they will get it.

But also have big stickers on the front panel of each controller (or in the immidiate area) with "Danger, High Voltage". Should deter some.

LMAO. That was great!!!

The parents are going to be P.O.ed when they get home. :lol:

I have to question their color of pink for the paint balls though. :P

Yep, that will stop the vandels.

One thing that I think helps is to make the controllers look less valuable. Shiny boxes look like they might have resale value. Ones that have been sprayed with flat brown, green, and OD paint look a lot harder to fence.

Going with the pro series is really the safe way to go. But on public land, it really boils down to the risk preferences of the sponsor, and the authority having jurisdiction over the land.

I've had no issues with 60 PC series controllers in a city park, but I also demonstrate safety consciousness by really paying attention to details, even on the work done by the electrical contractor, and calling them back out to fix things the inspectors missed.

As for the triac failures, I think that was most prevalent with 2010, and early 2011 controllers. Even then, it was pretty much hit and miss. Ideally have a couple spare channels available, and you can update your sequences if you need to use them.

Mine have been lucky enough in positioning to just unplug and not be noticeable enough to worry about.

put this on the yard ... WARNING !!! enter at your own risk !!! .. protected by neurotic trigger happy robot named : johnny 5

and SMILE !!! your on Candide camera :P:lol:

Edited by greywolf

i think i will make them look less valuable with some paint. i got my license today and so today i play yay!!! thanks for all the input i'll post some images when i get er done. i'm sure i'll be back with a slew of newbie questions before then though. :blink:

i've been using the software (demo) for just over a month now to get used to it and so far it seems easy enough to use

though the sequencing can be a bit frustrating ... but it's rewarding to see what will become of the display afterwards :D:P:)

i've been using it for awhile now myself, and i don't know if it's because i have my full license now or not but it seems easier ( maybe i'm just excited that my project got the green light and it can't be undone now he he!!) i use the view animation window so i can see what it will be like, it's a big help for me. i'm not doing music this year so i can learn the animation side first and practice the rest between christmas and next years display.

i dont konw what kind of answer u expect from that question posted on a LOR forum. All I can say is its the only system I have used and of course it's the best. I am sure there r other systems available that r just as good, some may even be eaiser to use. But allI know from a user stand point is LOR. You can read all day long about other peoples opinions on othe sytems......this is just my 2 cents worth. i have had no problems with LOR.

well from what i gathered so far LOR is the most reasonable priced software i'v found and it is fairly easy to use

the other software i'v found is priced so high that u'd burn ur fingers on it lol

some others when the eval expires the program completely shuts down on u

with LOR it stays active in demo mode till u get the licence key