Light-O-Rama Forums

User account space, pay to increase?

TJ Hvasta

Checking a major website hosting provider, I find that you can go from 10GB of storage to 50GB of storage for approximately $5 a month. If you prorated this back to user charges, it would amount to less than a penny per month, per user, to double or quadruple the amount of storage allocation. The amount of dollars spent administrating an access / increased space allocation on a per user basis would cost far more than this. I would rather see LOR attach a $1 per order "administrative fee" to be used for support of the forum. Kind of like the oil change places that charge you a dollar for "recycling" your used motor oil.

Checking any of the normal hosting companys shows a large jump in storage for really cheap.. We didnt have this limit of the last hosting site either.

• Like 1

Checking any of the normal hosting companys shows a large jump in storage for really cheap.. We didnt have this limit of the last hosting site either.

IMO, LOR will pay either way...either by raising the limit (a 500K limit is so archaic, BTW) for cheap, or by have to provide more support at the support desk for not as cheap. Often much easier to explain something to a new user by using a screen shot (with drawn markings on it) or a photo of your own equipment (that whole idea that a picture is worth a thousand words). Many/most won't spend the time to do this if they have to also upload and host the image elsewhere. Therefore more questions (not just by the OP but also by others reading the thread) will go unanswered or not answered clearly, thus requiring even more clarification (which gets frustrating when reading a thread) and most likely more reliance on the official LOR support (which is maybe what Dan desires).

• Like 1

I just use the Hotmail SkyDrive system. It didn't cost me anything and I have several e-mail accounts for various things I do. And I just got a FREE upgrade from the original 5GB, to 25GB of space on all but one of my accounts.

So now I've got lots of FREE SPACE (80+GB) at no charge to host my own images, videos, sequences and audio files. :P

So maybe folks may want to look into the SkyDrive, but you have to have an Hotmail e-mail account to get it, and it's FREE! ;):)

• Like 1

I dont care what you can find elsewhere to post something here. why should I have to go off campus to host something I'm trying to illustrate here? And having to pay.. what.. $5/month more to increase the sites storage? That is just the cost of doing business.. and it isnt even a ccost if member are willing to cover it each month.

There was no limit to the last forum site. and 500k? Really?? Some peoples egos are bigger than that..

• Like 3

For other forums, I've gone to hosting stuff on my DropBox account. Since my business (which I own) bought a paid account ($99/year for 100 GB), my account has 125 GB of space which is plenty to host.

I see a point in having a file size limit, and that is to make sure that users aren't using the space to host "non-topic" items. However, for the cost of hosting space on the cheap, I do not agree with the 500K limit and would hope that someone at LOR would bump it up a little bit to a reasonable level (how is 5MB too much?). Do they expect us to host 5 files each time, and when we run out of space, to delete them and start over? I sure hope not.

Rainy, click on your name (top right of screen), choose My Settings, then left side, Manage Attachments, check which ones you want to kill off..

Thanks that was helpful!

Kind of like the oil change places that charge you a dollar for "recycling" your used motor oil.

It's a good thing they don't charge that here in NY!

snapback.pngDave Pursel, on 13 August 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

Kind of like the oil change places that charge you a dollar for "recycling" your used motor oil.

It's a good thing they don't charge that here in NY!

They don't recycle the oil. It gets loaded throughout the year into a large tank, then used in an oil burner furnace to heat the garage in the winter. What a gig, hey!

Edited by scubado

• The topic was locked