Light-O-Rama Forums
TJ Hvasta

User account space, pay to increase?

What do you think of paying a fee, one time or semi-annually (or so) to be able to increase your user attachment space? Knowing that space is always a premium on a server, many on here have already found that to post a picture of something that helps others, you have to kill off something else to free up space, thereby losing the picture that helped someone in another thread. 500k is pretty small. Only other way to post is to have the item hosting somewhere else and put up a link.

With 48k remaining.. I'd pay to bump to 5mb attachment space.. even 2mb would be a big help

Edited by TJ Hvasta

There's a limit to how many pictures you can upload? I haven't uploaded any pics since the forum update. I was going to in the next few days. 500K is really small. If you hit that mark, you have to dump an old pic to make room for the new one?

Its the Flight Attendant Safety Briefing:

"If you're travelling with small children, in the even of a loss of cabin pressure, place your mask on first, then assist your child. If you're travelling with more than one child, decide who you love more."

• Like 3

Guest wbottomley

I'll just embed them and pay nothing. I've given enough money and will plan for no more.

Soooooo.... how do you delete posts that you've posted pics in to save on your user space. I'd hate to be limited to 500k for life... I'm already down to 300k and I've only put in two pics.... Now I can't figure out how to delete them when I am finished. Ideas?

Just upload very small pictures, like 5 bytes, and tell everyone to use their imaginations to fill in the rest of the pixels.

Rainy, click on your name (top right of screen), choose My Settings, then left side, Manage Attachments, check which ones you want to kill off..

Guest wbottomley

Damn! I only have one.

You have used 438.46K of 500K

500k is pretty small but when you consider that these forums have 10,000+ members who all have to have that space......

hence the reason for a stipend to allow for a bump in storage.. besides, most hosting companys start with a minimum of 1GB of storage even at the lowest host level. What's 1GB divided by 10,547

Edited by TJ Hvasta

By my calculations ...... -0.94k, but I'm probably wrong :D

Edited by spomalley

and thats if Dan's hosting plan is only 1GB storage .. One of my websites has 2gb for $44/yr.. Just an idea to be able to pay a stipend for more space..

I've talked to the power that be. Doesn't look like this limit will be raised anytime soon.

I best delete my old posts now I have 48k left

Posts don't matter, its images and files you've uploaded.

Just use a image hosting site for various pics... http://imageshack.us/ being one of them.... that will never use your space here and by the time they ever take them down, your post will be long gone in the archives anyway.

Dan... Don... how about an official answer.. How can we increase the acct size? Can we?

I've talked to the power that be. Doesn't look like this limit will be raised anytime soon.

Checking a major website hosting provider, I find that you can go from 10GB of storage to 50GB of storage for approximately $5 a month. If you prorated this back to user charges, it would amount to less than a penny per month, per user, to double or quadruple the amount of storage allocation. The amount of dollars spent administrating an access / increased space allocation on a per user basis would cost far more than this. I would rather see LOR attach a $1 per order "administrative fee" to be used for support of the forum. Kind of like the oil change places that charge you a dollar for "recycling" your used motor oil.

Checking any of the normal hosting companys shows a large jump in storage for really cheap.. We didnt have this limit of the last hosting site either.

• Like 1

Checking any of the normal hosting companys shows a large jump in storage for really cheap.. We didnt have this limit of the last hosting site either.

IMO, LOR will pay either way...either by raising the limit (a 500K limit is so archaic, BTW) for cheap, or by have to provide more support at the support desk for not as cheap. Often much easier to explain something to a new user by using a screen shot (with drawn markings on it) or a photo of your own equipment (that whole idea that a picture is worth a thousand words). Many/most won't spend the time to do this if they have to also upload and host the image elsewhere. Therefore more questions (not just by the OP but also by others reading the thread) will go unanswered or not answered clearly, thus requiring even more clarification (which gets frustrating when reading a thread) and most likely more reliance on the official LOR support (which is maybe what Dan desires).

• Like 1

I just use the Hotmail SkyDrive system. It didn't cost me anything and I have several e-mail accounts for various things I do. And I just got a FREE upgrade from the original 5GB, to 25GB of space on all but one of my accounts.

So now I've got lots of FREE SPACE (80+GB) at no charge to host my own images, videos, sequences and audio files. :P

So maybe folks may want to look into the SkyDrive, but you have to have an Hotmail e-mail account to get it, and it's FREE! ;):)

• Like 1

I dont care what you can find elsewhere to post something here. why should I have to go off campus to host something I'm trying to illustrate here? And having to pay.. what.. $5/month more to increase the sites storage? That is just the cost of doing business.. and it isnt even a ccost if member are willing to cover it each month.

There was no limit to the last forum site. and 500k? Really?? Some peoples egos are bigger than that..

• Like 3